Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hec-ras export issues

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
mikesdak
1464 Views, 8 Replies

hec-ras export issues

Good Morning

I have been using the C3D 2009 and 2010 Hec-ras export extension with some success for the past few months. In my current project, I am using 2010, since that is the drawing format.

I have noted the following problems with the export function:

1. When sample lines are created from polylines, the Export function mis-orders the cut lines and surface lines, i.e. the cut lines in the GEO file are for the wrong cross section. This doesn't seem to be a problem if the sample lines were created by clicking stations along the alignment.

2. The export function doesn't support cross sections skewed to the alignment- I have had this problem in sample lines created from polylines, and also with "normal" sample lines on which I have grip edited the endpoints (to achieve the skew). ---The surface line just follows a path perpendicular to the Alignment.

Does anyone know how to remedy these problems?

Thanks in advance
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: mikesdak

2010 doesn't work as expected, and I don't think its on the list of
things to be fixed, esp, with the purchase of the BOSS RiverCAD. I
personally would use the EE HydroPack tools.

Matthew Anderson, PE CFM

mikesdak wrote:
> Good Morning
>
> I have been using the C3D 2009 and 2010 Hec-ras export extension with some success for the past few months. In my current project, I am using 2010, since that is the drawing format.
>
> I have noted the following problems with the export function:
>
> 1. When sample lines are created from polylines, the Export function mis-orders the cut lines and surface lines, i.e. the cut lines in the GEO file are for the wrong cross section. This doesn't seem to be a problem if the sample lines were created by clicking stations along the alignment.
>
>
> 2. The export function doesn't support cross sections skewed to the alignment- I have had this problem in sample lines created from polylines, and also with "normal" sample lines on which I have grip edited the endpoints (to achieve the skew). ---The surface line just follows a path perpendicular to the Alignment.
>
> Does anyone know how to remedy these problems?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
Message 3 of 9
mikesdak

Matt,

Thanks for the reply. This brings up a few more questions:

1. Does the 2009 version work better than 2010 with HEC-RAS export?

2. I remember mention of "known issues" when I downloaded this extension, but the problems mentioned were minor. Is Autodesk aware of the problems I mentioned? If they won't fix them, at least they could let users know what the extension's limitations are.

Thanks in advance
Message 4 of 9
alberto_go

Mike,

Where do you find the Hec-Ras extension? is it free? where could I download it?

Thanks!

-Alberto
C3D 2009
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous

Subscription Center.
Free to subscription customers

"alberto_go" wrote in message news:6254002@discussion.autodesk.com...
> Mike,
>
> Where do you find the Hec-Ras extension? is it free? where could I
> download it?
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Alberto
> C3D 2009
Message 6 of 9
mikesdak

Alberto,

It is available for download from Autodesk, I believe from the subscription center or whatever that is called. It is free, but I think you need a subscription to download it.

It does work reasonably well for basic tasks, but be sure to double check your cut lines and surface lines in Hec-ras against the sample lines in Civil3D. As I noted above, I don't think it can handle skewed or dog-leg cross sections.
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous

2009 worked better and the code was unprotected so we were able to tweak
a few things to come to a better solution easily.

I have made Autodesk aware of the issues with a couple of service
requests. I have at least two open SR for this extension and the defects.

For no

Matthew Anderson, PE CFM

mikesdak wrote:
> Matt,
>
> Thanks for the reply. This brings up a few more questions:
>
> 1. Does the 2009 version work better than 2010 with HEC-RAS export?
>
> 2. I remember mention of "known issues" when I downloaded this extension, but the problems mentioned were minor. Is Autodesk aware of the problems I mentioned? If they won't fix them, at least they could let users know what the extension's limitations are.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
Message 8 of 9
JeffPaulsen

I also reported this when it was first released for 2009 and again for 2010. We got tired of waiting on Autodesk and went out and bought River Tools from Steltman Software.
Jeff Paulsen
Civil 3D 2020.4 | Win 10 Pro N 64-bit
Xeon W-2223 @ 3.60GHz, 32GB Ram | NVidia Quadro P2200
Message 9 of 9
mikesdak

Hello.

I am the original author of that post from 2009.  I recently started working with C3D 2014.  The HEC-RAS export function is improved, but the issue with skewed  cross sections still exists:  the surface line does not follow the cut line.  This is apparent when you review the GEO file.  Attached is a  completely arbitrary GEO file showing three cross sections, the middle of which is skewed with a dogleg section.  

My old post mentioned problems with exporting sample lines created from polylines.  This seems to be remedied now.  In addition, the polyline (cut line) can contain more than 3 vertices, so long as the sample line is perpendicular to the CL at the CL.

Can Autodesk fix this problem?  If not, at least warn users that cross sections (sample lines) must be perpendicular to the centerline (alignment) at the alignment.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report