Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hatch command is very slow

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
augdog74
32086 Views, 6 Replies

hatch command is very slow

If I try to hatch, it takes minutes for the command to process.  Any settings I need to check?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
mherman
in reply to: augdog74

what we have noticed is that the hatch command requires the ribbons to change. This takes unbearably long. Maybe a solution is to get rid of the ribbons. Any ideas?

mh

Message 3 of 7
Adam_Farnsworth

Try setting your HPQUICKPREVIEW to OFF.  This will turn off the "on-the-fly" preview.

Windows 7 x 64
ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series
12 GB Ram
i7 920 @ 2.67 GHz
Civil 3D 2011, 2010, 2009 and occasionally 2008 still (unfortunantly)
Message 4 of 7
mherman

that doesn't solve the problem. The problem is not the preview. the problem is that the hatch command, once you hit the hatch button or type in the hatch command, can take up to 69 seconds or longer just to launch the command...prior to selecting or passing the cursor over it.

We solved the problem.

We got rid of the ribbons.  We are using the classic UI. Made a world of difference for a lot of things. Civil 3d now is much more useable, i don't have to spend a ton of time waiting for it to process just panning around in large files.....and it is not the graphics card or the install or any of that. its just Autodesk's bad implementation of the new ideas.

mh

Message 5 of 7
Adam_Farnsworth
in reply to: mherman

I know we just had this discussion in another post, but I'm not having a problem with my ribbon, and this command did speed up my command.  I'm not sure what's wrong with yours, but I thought I'd throw it out as a suggestion to augdog74, in case the problem was what I've noticed before.  Rather than scrapping ribbons, I'd try and figure out what was wrong with them.

Windows 7 x 64
ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series
12 GB Ram
i7 920 @ 2.67 GHz
Civil 3D 2011, 2010, 2009 and occasionally 2008 still (unfortunantly)
Message 6 of 7
mherman

scrapping ribbons solved the problem of civil 3d not responding...of having to wait for it constantly to regenerate. We work with large files with many large xrefs. For us, it is not acceptable to spend hours of time waiting.  On smaller files it was not a a big deal.

But...we do large subdivisions.

Overall, everything is slower now. Opening drawings, saving...you name it. And this is all on new machines, 64 bit, with windows 7. From what i've heard from other firms, switching to windows 7 is a definite slow down. Add that to the clunkiness of the new civil 3d and it becomes unworkable.

Right now, because of problems we have had with "e-transmit", we are writing our own. The list goes on and on.

mh

Message 7 of 7
Partenheimer

I had this issue in a Civil 3D 2011 file. The HPQUICKPREVIEW OFF suggestion resolved my issue (with ribbon). My HATCH command wait time was approx. 90 seconds ON and 0 seconds OFF. Thank You!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report