Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

grading from feature line to surface

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
bf
Advocate
943 Views, 8 Replies

grading from feature line to surface

C3D 2014.  I have a pond bottom surface created from feature lines and a feature line for the existing ground.  I am trying to create a grading/surface from the eg feature line at a desired slope to the surface so I can have a single surface.  It works great for 3/4 of the perimeter.  For the 1/4 of the perimeter that doesn't work, the grading goes to the edge of my pond bottom surface and my feature lines used to create the pond bottom surface change elevations.  The only thing I can think of is the coners in the part that doesn't work are 90 degrees.  Any help?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
bf
Advocate
in reply to: bf

yea the grading apparently doesn't like a 90 degree inside angle.

Message 3 of 9
doni49

When you say "90 degrees" do you mean VERTICAL?  C3D does not allow points at the same X & Y to occupy two different elevations in the same surface.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 4 of 9
bf
Advocate

I put a fillet on my eg to get rid of the 90 degree corner and it worked.

Message 5 of 9
neilyj666

There's not a problem with 90 degree angIes in plan so I suspect there is another issue here - can you post the dwg?

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 6 of 9
bf
Advocate
in reply to: neilyj666

Here are two dwgs.  The layout prior to creating grading (pond orig) and the result of grading.  Notice the feature lines in the area that is screwy have changed end of line elevations.  Thanks for taking a look.

Message 7 of 9
neilyj666

Not entirely sure where the problem is as I'm not familiar with this particular scheme (can you post a screenshot?) but you may want to add additional level points into your feature line which may improve the definition around corners

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 8 of 9
bf
Advocate

When I rounded the corners it worked okay.  Here are two pngs of what I was aiming for.  A detention pond.  I thought I could make a surface from the grading and paste it onto the pond bottom for one surface but that didn't work.  Shouldn't it do that?  When you said scheme, I am not sure what you meant.  Have a good weekend.

Thanks. 

Message 9 of 9
bf
Advocate

Hey Neilyj.  Did you look at the dwgs and pngs?  How would you have created the pond and slope from ground differently?  I am always open to being more efficient.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report