Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

freeze alignment but not labels

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
bgriffin291
3042 Views, 12 Replies

freeze alignment but not labels

I am trying to freeze an alignment, but not the labels, in a viewport.

I have labels on a separate layer from the alignment.  This wouldn't be an issue if alignments would generate the linetype correctly like a polyline.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: bgriffin291

I cannot recreate you issue. I can do it with a touch and freez. Are you certain your labels are on their own layer? I also get line types showing, if xrefed or resident. You can also try setting the style to not show lines and curves.

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 3 of 13
sjg
Advisor

I am able to freeze alignment and leave labels. Check your alignment object layers?

Steve Goessling
Land Consultants
Civil3D 2015
Windows 7, 64 bit
Intel i7 2600 @ 3.40Ghz
16 GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro 600
Message 4 of 13
bgriffin291
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Absolutely certain.  Remember this is all being done through a VP in PS, but I get the same result in MS.  Freezing the alignment also freezes the labels.

Alignment is on EX-CL-ALIGN.  Labels are on EX-CL-ALIGN-LBLS.  Label Style and Alignment style is set to layer zero so I can control color and linetype with layer manager.

No xrefs, all resident.

I have no idea what a touch and freeze is.

Autocad C3D 2010

Message 5 of 13
bgriffin291
in reply to: sjg

Aren't the object layer settings just the default for starting a new alignment?

Once I change the labels or alignment to a new layer they don't matter, correct?

Message 6 of 13
Joe-Bouza

post the drawing

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 7 of 13
jmayo-EE

Contrary to the others here I have never been able to do that. 😞 The alg labels will stay on after freezing the alg layer but a regen makes them go away. We use a non plotting pen on the alignment layer for this. You could also just assign an alignment style that does not display the linework.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 8 of 13
el_nath

I wouldn't freeze the layer that the alignment is on.  Actually i wouldn't freeze any layer with Civil 3D objects on it, unless I really wanted to remove the object data from memory.  When you do that and regenall the labels will go blank (until the layer is thawed).  What you really want to do is take a look at the alignment style.  The various components of an alignment can be placed on individual layers.

For example, the default "Proposed" alignment style has Lines, Curves and Spiral on C-ROAD-CNTR-N and Extensions on C-ROAD-LINE-EXTN.  These are the layers I would freeze.

The alignment object is on C-ROAD which remains thawed and thus the alignment data is still available for the labels to access.

I hope this helps.

Nathan Selles-Alvarez, EIT

Civil Engineer

AECOM

Nathan Selles-Alvarez, P.E.
Senior Civil Engineer
Message 9 of 13
bgriffin291
in reply to: jmayo-EE

johnm hit the nail on the head and what I suspected would be the solution.

Thanks.

Message 10 of 13
el_nath

Ah, the famous "_No Display" style.  It's a default style for surfaces, but remarkably absent for most other objects.

Nathan Selles-Alvarez, P.E.
Senior Civil Engineer
Message 11 of 13
AllenJessup
in reply to: jmayo-EE

I've created a "_No Display" style and an "Almost No Display" style (shows only markers) for alignments. They work fine.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 12 of 13
Joe-Bouza

Please select "accept solution" so other readers may be aware of your solutionSmiley Wink

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 13 of 13
Hidden_Brain

i have been able to achieve this what you are asking. i found this out accidentally while building our company template. i have the alignment (C-ALIGN) and the alignment label  (C-ALIGN-LBL) object layers set up with "-*" suffix modifiers. this creates new layers for my alignment line and labels when i create an alignment. i can then turn off this new alignment line new layer, but have the new labels layer and the original object layers on/thawed. this lets me have the alignment line off but the labels on. before this, i used to go with a "no plot" method as others suggested. let me know if this makes sense, else i can post some screenshots tomorrow when i am in front of the computer. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report