Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

feature lines disappearing

53 REPLIES 53
Message 1 of 54
Anonymous
8336 Views, 53 Replies

feature lines disappearing

Didn't know if anyone else has run into this in the past. Over the past 6 months we have had the feature lines just up and disappear from the drawing for no reason. They were not erased. They just went away for some reason but the surface created from them was still there. Does anyone know what might make this happen? It seems very random and can be very costly.

Scott
53 REPLIES 53
Message 21 of 54
jporter
in reply to: aguyon71

What template are you using. . .or rather how was the template that you're using created?  This problem is 100% consistant if you use the acad.dwt template or begin your company template with the acad.dwt template.  I ask this because you mentioned that you've had this issue since 2007.  Back in 2007 a lot of folks abandoned the standard _AutoCAD Civil 3D (Imperial) NCS.dwt template because they didn't want to deal with all the layers in Civil 3D.  If that's the case then that's where you issue lies.  

Jason Porter
ASTI Civil Solutions Technical Advisor
www.asti.com
Message 22 of 54
aguyon71

We have been using a new template every time we have upgraded from 2013, 2014 and now 2015.
The remark to 2007 was in light that this issue and problem has been happening since then and still happens.

Andre' D. Guyon
Construction Services | Cad Technician
Stoppelwerth & Associates, Inc.
7965 East 106th Street
Fisher, IN 46038
Direct Dial:317-570-4848
aguyon@stoppelwerth.com
[Description: 2022869599-Smaller]
Message 23 of 54
jporter

So you rebuild your template every release?  Do you build your template by reverse engineering the standard NCS template?  

The problem hasn't happened to me or any or my clients since we use the NCS template.  However, I can make it break everytime with the acad.dwt.  

Jason Porter
www.asti.com
Message 24 of 54
_Hathaway
in reply to: jporter

For what it worth we have been using the NCS template since 2011 without issues. We did have some issues in 2010 with disappearing feature line but none since and I've processed hundreds of surfaces.
Message 25 of 54
kappasigma
in reply to: Anonymous

One thing I have done successfully in the past is copying the file's backup file, changing the extension of the backup to .dwg and opening that, and the feature lines are still in the backup file. You can also try (if your surface is still there but your feature lines are not) adding the surface breaklines to the drawing as feature lines... 

Also as a general rule, after I have my surfaces built, feature lines and profiles made, etc. I archive versions of the file about every week and never run "recover" on them, because in the past, "recovering" has led to deleted feature lines and surfaces. 

Message 26 of 54
Anonymous
in reply to: kappasigma

HI guys,

I'm new to Civil 3d and have had this problem repeatedly with 2017.

This seems to happen quite regularly when i try and move a feature line to another site.  It disappears from the original site but never goes anywhere that i can find.

How are you supposed to rely on a product that seems to just lose elements of your drawing on a somewhat regular basis?

This seems to be one of the most unreliable products i've worked with as it also crashes on me regularly whilst doing doing relatively simple things.

Yours frustratedly,

Craig

Forgot to add that this also seems to happen regularly with grading elements.

Grrrrr!

Message 27 of 54
jporter

Craig,

I have to ask. . .what template are you using (.dwt file) to begin your drawings with?  I only ask because I've only seen this issue occur when you begin with the acad.dwt template.  It never happens when you begin with the out-of-the box Civil 3D template (_AutoCAD Civil 3D (Imperial) NCS.dwt) or any template which was created using that template.  

I understand that the biggest argument for not wanting to use, or start an new template from, the _AutoCAD Civil 3D (Imperial) NCS.dwt file is becuase of all the layers that are already there.  If that's the case and you want to make your own template with no layers then I'd recommend watching Autodesk's Jeff Bartel's videos "Civil 3D Template Tips & Shortcuts - Part1 and Part 2". They are both very good, but part 1 is where he describes the proper way to make a template with no layers.  You cannot simply take the acad.dwt file and SAVEAS your own Civil 3D file.  

Hope this helps, 

Jason Porter
www.asti.com
Message 28 of 54
jmayo-EE

If you don't want the polution that comes from the NCS templates start with an R12 acad.dwt. You won't have the issue. I have been creating new templates for production with this since the 07 release. Start with that file and use Design center to get the acad objects and ImportStylesAndSettings to get the Civil 3D object and label styles. Manually set the Units and Zone, Object Layers, Abbreviations and Ambient Settings.

Gradings have never been to reliable. If your using 2017 use corridors on the flines instead of gradings.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 29 of 54
Anonymous
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Apreciate the feedback guys and will try out your suggestions.

I was attracted to the gradings as they were similar to line based structure of 12D that i have been using for 10+ years.

Civil 3d does seem quite difficult to manipulate to achieve non standard interface works, although it well just be that my workflow (based on 12D experience) isn't seeing the methodology.

Hopefully these simple adjustments can get things on track.

I have watched a few of Jeff Bartels videos and found them very helpful.

Guess i'll continue to watch them.

Cheers,

Craig

Message 30 of 54
Kyle-Evans

Jmayo,

workflows in regards to grading are extremely important. The setup and creation of Sites and Featurelines is where it all lies. Grading has become a lot more stable (post 2010) and now when I am doing grading, only crash when I attempt something ridiculous... Grading a berm 4000m long to a lidar surface, have overlapping gradings (ect)

Message 31 of 54
chrisdavis5201

I have been having this issue in Civil 3D 2010, 2012, 2014, & 2015. The template that I created for my department started with the NCS.dwt. I modified the layers and the styles for our use. Never used the acad.dwt template. The only time I have had my feature lines disappear is when I am rotating my model to look at it in different 3d views. It does not happen every time, but it does happen more than I would like. I have just started to save my drawing every time just before rotating my model, this way if/when they disappear, I can just open the recently saved drawing.

Really Wish Autodesk would look into this and save some frustrations on many...many..did I say many.. techs and users.

Message 32 of 54
Anonymous

Thaw all layers

Message 33 of 54
Kyle-Evans

Layers have nothing to do with it.

There is a fault in the program (or there was) where something that was done by the user caused every single feature line in their drawing to reset itself down to 0,0 with a elevation of 0. I have not experienced this in 2016 or 2017 yet, but it was there in versions previous to 2016.

I still have not tracked down what caused it or why it happens, when it happens or anything. Still a complete mystery to me.

Message 34 of 54
lcox-CRE
in reply to: Kyle-Evans

I have been reading thru everyone's issues. I created our template at work in 2006.  It has be modified when needed with new releases.  I made it from scratch not using a dwt.  Now we have Civil 3D 2017 and my feature lines are disappearing. It has never done this with any previous versions we have had previously. This has now happened on 2 separate projects and is a major problem.  Any suggestions on a fix?

Message 35 of 54
jporter
in reply to: lcox-CRE

It could be the fact that it was created from scratch, but I'm shocked that you've not had any issues until recently.  

So do you have all the updates installed for Civil 3D?  Best way to figure this out is to type in ABOUT at the commandline and hit ENTER.  A dialog box will appear.  Compare your build to what I have.  Here's mine:C3D 2017 Build.png

Jason Porter
www.asti.com
Message 36 of 54
M_c3d
in reply to: lcox-CRE

I've came across this on a few occasions and it seems to happen when the system has had a problem connecting to the server properly and has corrupted when saving. Have discussed it at length with autodesk and they were unable to replicate the problem

Message 37 of 54
russc

I recently started having these problems using C3D 2018. Although this certainly isn't the first time I've had issues with gradings, this is the first time I've had feature lines I specifically created, just disappear. I created my templates from acad.dwt (my best guess, from 2008 release), which I see now was a mistake. Moving forward, are objects I created in those templates now corrupted as well, or can I move them (copy/paste, insert, etc.) from backed up drawings into a newly created template and avoid future corruption? What is the best way to avoid having to completely start over and lose many hours of work on a complex site grading?

Message 38 of 54
jporter
in reply to: russc

@russc, there's no best answer here.  What I've tested in the past with different results was. . .

1. Try exporting all the Civil 3D data to a LandXML file and then wblocking all the linework data.  Begin a new drawing with a Civil 3D template.  Then import all the data back into this new drawing.  
  2. Try beginning a new drawing with a Civil 3D template and then insert and explode your current drawing.  

Other than that, there's no true answer that I know of.  

Jason Porter
www.asti.com
Message 39 of 54
jameshitt

jporter:

I've been vexed with this problem for a while, with mainly feature lines used as corridor baselines and targets being the victims of this phenomenon. So I'm finally making the plunge to creating a template with the NCS.dwt.

Can you tell me:

If I start with the NCS.dwt, and then insert the previous company template as a block in order to import the layers and styles they use, then purge the stuff I don't want or need, will this suffice to solve the issue? Or will inserting the old template bring back the same problems causing my feature lines to vanish?

Thank you for your help!

Message 40 of 54
Kyle-Evans
in reply to: jameshitt

I actually don't think the template has anything to do with it. I've started to think it's purely workflow, putting things on incorrect sites. I'm using the same template that I was when this problem first started and I've just been rolling it forward.

I teach now and use this template for all 90 students and have not seen the
issue since. If your not sure about sites, definitely look them up.

Kyle

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report