Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

extracting points from a surface

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
darreng_oa
6838 Views, 14 Replies

extracting points from a surface

I built my surface by importing points directly, ie, not through the ribbon, so i have no points listed in prospector.  i have been editing the points (mostly deleting errant survey points) and would like to export the final data set.  The only step i found, was to show points in surface style, and then Extract Objects (of which i selected Points).

This seems to have no placed all the points into my DWG, but HOW do I export this files into a single text file??

thanks!

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: darreng_oa

Does landxml export help?

LANDXML

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 15
neilyj666

are the points that the OP extracted vanilla autocad points rather than civil points, in which case data extraction would work well.

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 4 of 15
tcorey

On the Points pulldown (Home tab, Create Ground Data panel) use the Convert AutoCAD Points function. Make a group from the resultant COGO points. Export the group.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 5 of 15
darreng_oa
in reply to: neilyj666

not sure the dif bw vanilla and civil points. i had 4 CSV files consisting of ENZ data that i imported into my surface directly so prospector is empty. Also, what does OP stand for? I still need a single file with the final points. That is, i need to a list of points that will closely reflect the 4 orignal files i imported minus the deleted points, and updated data as well, including long feature lines with elevations added!

Cheers
Message 6 of 15
darreng_oa
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

nope. it will only accept points that are in prospector. then again, i really dont know where my points are. i can HL them and see them in a properties dialogue box, but still cant figure out how to export them!
Message 7 of 15
Jeff_M

Toolbox, Reports, Surface, Surface Points to CSV

That should get you what you need.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 8 of 15
sboon

@darreng_oa wrote:
not sure the dif bw vanilla and civil points.
Also, what does OP stand for?
I still need a single file with the final points. That is, i need to a list of points that will closely reflect the 4 orignal files i imported minus the deleted points, and updated data as well, including long feature lines with elevations added!

Cheers

OP = Original post or Original poster.

Civil 3d points are very different from ordinary ACad points.  C3d points have point numbers, and can have names also.  They can have descriptions, and other data attached to them.  You can apply styles to control the look of the points, and their labels.  The software also has many tools for manipulating C3d points, and using them in various ways.

If you need a point file which includes all of the edited surface TIN points then extracting them from the surface, converting the ACad points to C3D cogo points and then exporting those is likely your best option.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

EDIT - Jeff's solution is better if you just want a simple csv file.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 9 of 15
darreng_oa
in reply to: sboon

much thanks to all, but C3D is choking using Jeffs method: the wheel just spins for, then the app crashes. ugh. why does the routine ask which landxml version to use?

i noticed also there is an tool to manually select objects, but which c3d does not recognize the points as objects (i cant select them manually, but a scan shows all 1.2M objects!

Steve - how do i convert acad points to cogo? i think its by Object Export

thanks for your patience with simple questions!
Message 10 of 15
sboon

Expand the points dropdown in the Home tab of the ribbon.  Or if you prefer the menu bar it's Points -> Utilities -> Convert from AutoCAD points.

Clipboard01.png

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 11 of 15
darreng_oa

hah - i just found that and its working great, but i have over 1 million points to convert and the command line wants a description for EACH pt! i typed in "All" and c3d grabbed all 1M points, but is there "All" command for the description question (of which i dont need actually, just ENZ). dont really feel like hitting the return button 1M times.
Message 12 of 15
sboon

Before creating points, open up the dialog and get the creation setttings correct.  All prompts to automatic should fix your problem. 

Clipboard01.png

Creating 1M points in a drawing is probably going to bog down your hardware.  You should probably set the Point style and Label style defaults for the _All Points group to <none> so that the software isn't trying to show the new cogo points in the graphics.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 13 of 15
neilyj666

remember that outputting the points will not necessarily enable someone else to reproduce the DTM unless the breakline information is output as well so the landxml method may be preferable. However with a million points they may be sufficiently dense to form the DTM correctly.

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 14 of 15
darreng_oa

thanks again to this forum group for your patience and advice. i was never able to extract the points using any of your advice, and believe it must be a bug in my software. our office is actually getting C3D 2014 next week, so i will have a fresh install shortly and will retry.

my solution was simply to save the drawing in a 2000 version, and i then opened up the DWG in GIS software and voila - an attribute table was generated with all the XYZ data.

Thanks!
Message 15 of 15
merci.martin
in reply to: Jeff_M

Awesome!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report