Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

extend x section lines to surface

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
allanbsteven
949 Views, 9 Replies

extend x section lines to surface

See attached,

I am trying to extend my lines at grade chages not in a grid to a surface, am am stumped how to do this? I can only get them to the datum line and no further, any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Allan

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
tcorey
in reply to: allanbsteven

Can you post a drawing?

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 10
allanbsteven

File attached, you can see i have the grid displayed but i want the offsets to extend to the surface, I would then turn the grid lines off. I appreciate any help.

Thanks

Allan

Message 4 of 10
tcorey

I don't see a way to do that within the Band Style, but you could come at it from another direction (literally.)

If you come at this from the section itself, you can make it work. Make a Section Label Style that labels grade breaks with a line component. Have that line use an expression that calculates the length of the line. For your section views, which use 0.000 as the datum, your expression would be something like this:

({Section Elevation}/{Drawing Scale Conversion})+(2.4/{Drawing Scale Conversion})

When you create the line component of the section label, anchor the start point to the Feature, but turn off Use End Point Anchor. Now you can pick inside the Length dropdown and it will show the name of your expression. Be sure to set rotation of the line component to 270.

I would place the labels as part of these section label styles so I know the weeding won't be inconsistent with the band style weeding, but you could still use the band style for the labels if you prefer. Just be sure you tweak the weeding for both so that it matches. The one for band style is scale-dependent and the one for the section labels is absolute. Curious as to why, but whatever.

Interesting problem. I thought fer sure the band style could do that, but I guess not.

Best regards,

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 5 of 10
sboon
in reply to: tcorey

Another option, rather than using an expression would be to anchor one end of the line to the grade break and the other end to the Dimension Anchor point.  If the labels are inserted with the Dimension Anchor at the Graph View Bottom then the line will always be the correct length.

Clipboard01.png

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 6 of 10
allanbsteven
in reply to: sboon

Thanks Very much for the reply. Is there any chance you can send a sample dwg of your screen shot?
Regards
Allan
Message 7 of 10
allanbsteven
in reply to: tcorey

Thanks for you kind reply, it much appreciated.

Cheers

Allan

Message 8 of 10
sboon

Sorry Allan, it was one of the Tutorial drawings called Sections-Grade-Label and I used it for the screenshot then closed without saving.  If you open your own copy you should be able to find the style I used in the Section labels area and modify it to something similar to my version.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 9 of 10
allanbsteven
in reply to: sboon

Thanks for this, one thing I still cant get to work is for it to actually have the line stop at the existing surface, anyway I will keep working on it.
Thanks again for you time.
Message 10 of 10
sboon

Check the line parameters for an X or Y offset applied to the start or end point.  The existing style I copied had one - took me five or ten minutes to figure it out.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report