Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

exporting to terramodel

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
idigg-be
2605 Views, 12 Replies

exporting to terramodel

hi.  we have a surveyor who uses terramodel.   with 2010 we used to be able to export to a 2000 dwg and he could then convert and import to a .pro file.  now, with 2013, when we do the same thing, he gets errors.  we need to figure out a way to get our info into his program. 

thanks,

-wes

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
neilyj666
in reply to: idigg-be

What are you trying to export??

Is LandXML an option??

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 3 of 13
idigg-be
in reply to: neilyj666

we need to get him the linework, blocks, etc, as well as layers, points, and hopefully the surfaces.  we do not have landxml.  would be willing to get it, but id prefer to keep everything simple and not have a ton of conversion software on the computers.

Message 4 of 13
BrianHailey

LandXML is built into most civil design packages (there is an export to LandXML command in C3D). This allows you to export civil design information from one design package to another (kind of like we had to do with .dxf back in the days when AutoCAD couldn't read a .dgn and Microstation couldn't read a .dwg).

If you are looking for just linework, go to your application menu and export to a 2010 AutoCAD drawing:

http://screencast.com/t/92IRgkkzRg0f

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 5 of 13
idigg-be
in reply to: BrianHailey

ive exported it into 2010, 2007, you name it.  he cant open/convert it.  ill look into landxml.

thanks.

Message 6 of 13
BrianHailey

LandXML won't take drawing objects, just design data. Are you exporting or saving to a prior version? There is a HUGE difference.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 7 of 13
neilyj666

the surfaces will xmlout with no problem but as Brian says make sure you are exporting rather than saving as...

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 8 of 13
HansSMS

In Terramodel every layer is a DTM by default. If you need to export a surface, put all the elements (breaklines, points) that define that surface into ONE layer. Then it will form up properly in Terramodel.

Also try not to export files with  2D polylines. For example if you create a polyline from a line that has different start and end elevations, you will create a polyline that sits in its own rotated coord system, and Terramodel does not import these properly.

Terramodel will read 2007 DWG files without a problem, so doing a 2007 AutoCAD export should work fine.

Hans Moller
Surveying & Management Services
Gladstone Australia
Metabox 16GB, Intel i7-9700K 3.6Ghz, 500GB SSD, 2TB HDD Nvidia GTX 1060
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2018
Message 9 of 13
idigg-be
in reply to: BrianHailey

i exported it to a 2007 dwg and saved it to a 2007 dwg.  neither worked, but which should i be doing?  id like to focus on just getting him the linework for now.  he can recreate a surface from the contours. 

thanks all.

Message 10 of 13
BrianHailey

If you "Save As" you will be saving a Civil 3D drawing. You can then reopen that drawing in whatever version of Civil 3D you created it with and continue to work. If you "Export" you are converting all that Civil 3D stuff to AutoCAD entities and you lose all C3D data.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 11 of 13
HansSMS
in reply to: HansSMS

If you want to post the DWG I can convert it for you.

Exporting Contours is a bad idea, you lose peaks and troughs and detail.

Hans Moller
Surveying & Management Services
Gladstone Australia
Metabox 16GB, Intel i7-9700K 3.6Ghz, 500GB SSD, 2TB HDD Nvidia GTX 1060
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2018
Message 12 of 13
jerry

Send us your file and we will see if our latest Terramodel import patch solves the problem for good.

Regards,

Jerry

Message 13 of 13
idigg-be
in reply to: jerry

i actually have him updating his terramodel to see if that will work as we speak.

sorry for the delay, i was on a well deserved vaca for a week.  autocad was the last thing on my mind!!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report