Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

esc key

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
154 Views, 9 Replies

esc key

I have a drawing that instead of exiting a command when pushing the esc button it undoes the command. It also will not let me make any changes to the drawing. It tells me in the command line "Do you really want to do this? (N)" It does not even give me the option to say yes. It started doing this after I attemped to do a watershed analysis. I don't know what is going on but I really do not want to start over. Please help
Bree
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Have you checked your keyboard shortcuts? Maybe the key was remapped at some point?

David
Message 3 of 10
rs101

can you save?
if so, you might try a reboot.
when it says 'do you really want to...?' can you type 'y'?
when was your last save/autosave?
try a recover?
can you start a new drawing?
if so, you could try and start a new drawing, then (if it will let you) from the old file do a "copy with basepoint" (0,0) and to select objects, type "all" and then paste into the new one.

hth
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous

Wouldn't the key mapping effect all of my drawings? When I type in "Y" it asks me the question again. It alllows me to save only when I close out the drawing. If I copy paste won't everything in the drawing, settings and so on, come with it?
Message 5 of 10
rs101

yes, it will bring everything. the settings will come over only if they are associated with an entity within the selection set. your 'new drawing' template will have them also (at least that is how mine is set up). it has been my experience that drawing problems are typically in the drawing but not in the entities that are in the drawing (if that makes sense).

"it allows you to save..." - question; what manner do you use to save (press the 'disk' button on the tool bar, type save, press ctrl 's'). i have had an occasional problem where the buttons stop functioning and i get "a command is still active (abort/retry)" at the command prompt. i discovered through this DG that if i type save it allows me to, then i restart acad and everything is better.
Message 6 of 10
rs101

of course, none of this may help.

did i ask if you rebooted your computer yet? have you?
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

I did reboot, but now the drawing is really slow. It takes 5 min to complete one task.
Message 8 of 10
rs101

ok. well, acad is slow now, but does the esc key do what it is supposed to? (one thing at a time)

i am working on a small (24 acre) subdivision and i will frequently start a command, go and get a cup of coffee and come back to find it is still working.

new thought - is it only on your machine that there is a problem? have you tried a repair (on civil 3d)? can you post the file? so many questions...sorry.
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous

ok, esc key works!!! I am not sure why this drawing is slow though. I have larger ones that work faster. Are you asking me to post it on DG? How do you do a repair?
Message 10 of 10
rs101

great, one down...
the speed issue is probably a corruption in the file.
this is the order of operations for checking the slow drawing problem:
1. determine if it is this file, or the program with the problem. do this by opening other files and checking the speed. if it appears it is the file, then go to 2, if the problem appears to be with the program, then go to 5.
2. make a backup copy of the file - better safe than sorry.
3. open the drawing, perform an audit (file-drawing utilities-audit). when prompted, allow acad to fix the errors that it finds. (did it find any?)
4. test to see if that helped. if so, great; if not, go to 7.
5. to repair your civil 3d will take about 15 minutes more or less and you will need to be out of the program. i don't know what operating system your pc has, i am using windows xp pro so the path may be a bit different for you. click start-control panel-add/remove programs. find the civil 3d entry and click change. next, select the "reinstall or repair" option and click next. select "repair errors in my...installation" and make sure the "restore my shortcuts" checkbox is checked, click next. and wait................
6. test to see if that helped.
7. post file in the "customer files (attachments)" discussion group. leave a description of how it performed before, how it performs now (specific commands that you have used that are slow), and what changed it (the attempt at watershed analysis). also post here that you have posted there so that i can check it out also.

there may be more after the above discovery, post, etc. we shall see.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report