Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

error performing edit - surface wont paste

19 REPLIES 19
Message 1 of 20
Anonymous
4074 Views, 19 Replies

error performing edit - surface wont paste

c3d 2007 sp1a
created a new surface, pasted in the existing topo, tried to paste in a couple of corridor surfaces, previously these surfaces had pasted fine, now error prompt informs me: 'error performing edit'
anyone?
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
tscheevel
in reply to: Anonymous

Are you trying to paste corridor surfaces into the surface that is the daylight target for your corridors? This will cause your machine to become very confused.
When making a finished ground surface, I've had good luck making a copy of the existing topo and pasting the corridor surfaces into the copy.
Message 3 of 20
Anonymous

that's probably it.

Instead of pasting EG into a new surfaace
use autocad copy to copy the eg
paste corridors into that one

otherwise there is a "circular reference" with your daylighting.

--
Dana Breig Probert
http://civil3drocks.blogspot.com/
CADapult Ltd
Empowering Design With Innovative Solutions
www.cadapult.net
----------------------------------------------
wrote in message news:5307435@discussion.autodesk.com...
Are you trying to paste corridor surfaces into the surface that is the
daylight target for your corridors? This will cause your machine to become
very confused.
When making a finished ground surface, I've had good luck making a copy of
the existing topo and pasting the corridor surfaces into the copy.
Message 4 of 20
Anonymous

unfortunately the error is not so simply solved, i have created copies of the existing topo surface, both by ctrl+c and a new surface, paste in the existing topo, still with the same result
more ideas?
Message 5 of 20
Anonymous

wait,,,,, i am lost

seems to be a circular reference in your post 🙂

are you doing this:

1) make exist topo
2) build corridor
3) build surface from corridor(s)
4) copy existing topo (in prospector becomes Copy of existing topo )
5) Expand "copy of existing topo" to edit
6)paste corridor surfaces

--
Dana Breig Probert
CADapult Ltd
www.cadapult.net
Message 6 of 20
Anonymous

sry for the lack of clarity
yes, that is what i have been doing, and have always done. Do appreciate that you cannot paste corridor surfaces into the surface that is used to determine corridor daylights from. Hence why the copy of the existing topo is made, right?
Message 7 of 20
Anonymous

shoot.. hmmm

can you post a drawing where it won't work?

--
Dana Breig Probert
CADapult Ltd
www.cadapult.net
----------------------------------------------
wrote in message news:5309121@discussion.autodesk.com...
sry for the lack of clarity
yes, that is what i have been doing, and have always done. Do appreciate
that you cannot paste corridor surfaces into the surface that is used to
determine corridor daylights from. Hence why the copy of the existing topo
is made, right?
Message 8 of 20
Anonymous

cadrick,

Could you explain what you mean by "previously these surfaces had pasted fine"? You mean these exact surfaces, or these types of surfaces in previous projects?

Along similar lines, have you run an Audit or Recover on your drawing? I've had vaguely similar problems before that were the result of problem objects that Audit removed.

Trevor
Message 9 of 20
Anonymous

haha, audit, purge, qsave, dwg cleanup and recover are my best c3d 2007 friends! but back to my original query, i did try to strip back a dwg to post, but wouldnt u know it, as soon as i stripped all but the surface and corridor related data the problem no longer occured! except for one corridor surface that wouldnt paste because it had a missing profile (I had deleted it in the cleanup). Didnt help me much, but I edited an existing surface's edits and all goin sweet now.

FINALLY, after some testing I have uncovered the problem:
what had happened was - I had 'unchecked' a couple of corridors (under corr parameters - to stop them being displayed), now because i had pasted them in to the hybrid surface prior to 'unchecking' , that surface had built fine (no errors). When I tried to create a new surface with the corrs already 'unchecked' the error prompts appeared - because there was, I guess, no corr surface defined. Hence the problem. I think thats a problem that should return a meaningful error prompt - like 'corr XY is not defined, and therefore surface XYZ cannot be pasted', that way I would know to look at the corr definition itself. Or am I expecting too much? By 'unchecked', i mean the baseline definition tick/untick
Message 10 of 20
Anonymous

Glad to hear you got it sorted. Thanks for the explanation too.

Don't know about the meaningful error message... perhaps about the same time they explain what "Value in bad position" means?

Trevor
Message 11 of 20
Anonymous

and "Error writing/closing file" when wblocking
Message 12 of 20
Anonymous

Have you looked into this:
http://tinyurl.com/73og4

If you don't take care of these before entering the Civil 3D environment,
you WILL have issues - Hey Tommie, you here?
--

sm

Scott McEachron
DC CADD, Dallas - Fort Worth
http://c3dpavingtheway.blogspot.com/

wrote in message news:5310462@discussion.autodesk.com...
cadrick,

Could you explain what you mean by "previously these surfaces had pasted
fine"? You mean these exact surfaces, or these types of surfaces in previous
projects?

Along similar lines, have you run an Audit or Recover on your drawing? I've
had vaguely similar problems before that were the result of problem objects
that Audit removed.

Trevor
Message 13 of 20
Anonymous

I have the same issue. These corridor surfaces were already pasted to my fg surface before. I open it one time, and the surface is still pasted but it's not including it in the calculations - totally skips it. The corridor surface itself looks exactly like it should, but I get the unhelpful error message. Additionally, i can paste the corridor surface to a different (new) surface without problems. No grading objects, targets, or anything else dynamic is being used here other than the corridor surface updating to match the corridor. I can't post the dwg because its rediculously large.
Message 14 of 20
O.Maille

i am getting the same error with a non corridor surface, the surface is made up of two featurelines, added as breaklines. i've done the same operationon a number of jobs, however one of the lines defining the surfact was a level offset of the first featureline. Similarly if i grade@ 0 slope or gradient i get a crash. I recon datashortcut out then reimport or use infill grading may work but is there any reason why i just can't paste my surface???
Message 15 of 20
stevenh0616

I've found the issue is typically the corridor doesn't match up with another surface correctly and you need to adjust the regions station parameters by a hundreth or so. That usually fixes the problem.

Steve Hill
Civil Designer / .NET Developer
AutoCAD Certified Professional
AutoCAD Civil 3D Certified Professional
http://redtransitconsultants.com/
Autodesk Exchange Store
Twitter | LinkedIn

Please select the Accept this solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

Message 16 of 20
wfberry
in reply to: stevenh0616

Hopefully he hasn't been hanging around for 6 years to get that answered.

Smiley Happy

Bill

Message 17 of 20
karlkarpuk
in reply to: wfberry

A bit ironic how i am trying to furiously fix the same problem on my 2013 C3D seven years later. I dont even understand if its a bug or is just something i am doing wrong.

Message 18 of 20
joantopo
in reply to: karlkarpuk

I am also getting this error in Civil 3D 2015..

It seems that there is an explanation by Autodesk:

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-civil-3d/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticle...

but the given solutions don´t solve mi issue.

Autocad C3D 2019 SP3, 2020 & 2021
Intel I9 9900K with frontal watercooler alphacool eisbaer 360 (original fans mounted in pull)- 3 fans Corsair 120 ML PRO in push.
MOBO Gygabyte Z390 Aorus Master- Corsair RGB Vengeance 64GB RAM (4x16) CL16
Nvidia Quadro RTX 4000
Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 1TB (unit C). Samsung 970 PRO 512GB (for data)
Power Supply: Corsair TX850M PLUS

Descubre mi programa VisorNET para Civil 3D:
https://apps.autodesk.com/CIV3D/es/Detail/Index?id=appstore.exchange.autodesk.com%3avisornet_windows32and64%3aes
Message 19 of 20
Civil3DReminders_com

Yep, still pops up. Is a corridor involved? If so try removing the boundary and see if it works. If it does then you need to check the corridor boundary for crossing boundaries usually caused by bowties.
Civil Reminders
http://blog.civil3dreminders.com/
http://www.CivilReminders.com/
Alumni
Message 20 of 20

Hi.

Yes,  each pasted surface is a corridor surface.

I saw that it depends of the order of pasting  surfaces.

My work around is:

-paste a corridor surface.

-save the drawing file with a new name.

-call the "recover" command with the new file to see if the surface is damaged.

**I saw that sometimes you can paste correctly the surface but then without getting the error message but then, when you call "recover" command it says that the surface is damaged (and some triangles are out of the properly boundary surface).

I write in a paper the properly order to copy corridor surfaces, if some of them throw the error message, then I try to paste it before or after of another pasted surface.

I had a corridor surface (only a ditch) with a geometry in plant "V" between 2 alignments, and I had to paste previously that corridor surface before the 2 corridor surfaces.

Autocad C3D 2019 SP3, 2020 & 2021
Intel I9 9900K with frontal watercooler alphacool eisbaer 360 (original fans mounted in pull)- 3 fans Corsair 120 ML PRO in push.
MOBO Gygabyte Z390 Aorus Master- Corsair RGB Vengeance 64GB RAM (4x16) CL16
Nvidia Quadro RTX 4000
Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 1TB (unit C). Samsung 970 PRO 512GB (for data)
Power Supply: Corsair TX850M PLUS

Descubre mi programa VisorNET para Civil 3D:
https://apps.autodesk.com/CIV3D/es/Detail/Index?id=appstore.exchange.autodesk.com%3avisornet_windows32and64%3aes

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report