AutoCAD Civil 3D General

rcdrafting1
Message 11 of 15 (1,939 Views)

Re: displaying contours takes a long time............

12-30-2010 09:17 AM in reply to: Jeff_M

ahhh, good call!! I don't use quickselect as much as I should, pretty handy tool. Thanks!!

rcdrafting1
Message 12 of 15 (1,937 Views)

12-30-2010 09:36 AM in reply to: Jeff_M

So I don't know if I'm the only user to have this problem but I think I pin-pointed the issue and wanted to share.

When I change the masking to "contour line only"  using the properties box it slows down displaying contours dramatically. Once changed back to "from label style" things went back to normal speed.

When I changed the style to "contour line only" (instead of doing it through the properties box) it works fine. I accessed the override by going to annotation>add labels>surface>[box next to label type] and setting the contour label default override to contour line only.

Thanks everyone for the help; I'm sure it seems like an easy fix for most but this frustrated the hell out of me.

Active Contributor
ssomers
Message 13 of 15 (1,637 Views)

11-23-2011 04:02 PM in reply to: rcdrafting1

This actually does not work the same.

When you switch all the currently drawn labels to mask "from label style," you are setting them all to mask based on the actual label style which will either a) mask EVERYTHING behind it (including hatches - which can be ugly) if the label style has background mask set to "True," or b) mask NOTHING if the label style has background mask set to "false."

When you change the feature setting to mask "contour line only" the way that you mentioned second (which can also be done via the settings tab of the Toolspace by right clicking "Surface" and selecting "Edit Feature Settings") it will only apply this to future labels that you add. It will not change the labels which you've already changed to mask "from label style" through the properties box. Those labels will still only mask from their label style as mentioned above.

There is some kind of conflict where masking the contour line only is slowing down the processing of the display of the contour lines, so unless all your labels are set to mask "from label style" the drawing remains slow when displaying contours.

To verify this for yourself, add a solid hatch below the contour labels and set the labels to mask "from label style" and you will see that you can only make them mask everything or nothing. Quite annoying in my opinion.

Hopefully AutoCAD addresses this soon, as I hate having boxes of emptiness around my contour labels when there is a solid gray hatch behind them for paving.

- Shawn
---------------------
Civil 3D 2015

64-bit HP Desktop - HP Z420; 24GB RAM
Intel Xeon CPU E5-1620 0 @ 3.60 GHz
AMD Radeon HD 6570
Windows 7 SP1
*Expert Elite*
Joe-Bouza
Message 14 of 15 (1,636 Views)

11-23-2011 05:46 PM in reply to: rcdrafting1

I grt that opening a blank drawing. ..."Reading Point Database".. too. No points and no surface in drawing

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People) Civil 3D 2012 & 2013
HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win7 OS
Contributor
rbunner
Message 15 of 15 (502 Views)

12-05-2013 02:34 PM in reply to: ssomers

Does anyone know if this has been fixed? or if there is a work around?  Drawing was extremely slow then I saw this post and change my labels back to the style.  Really would like to use the “contour line” label so that it won’t look like holes in my aerial …..

I’m using C3D 2012

Thanks for the help!

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Civil 3D Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for AutoCAD Civil 3D helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Civil 3D

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs