Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

description key scaling

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
274 Views, 9 Replies

description key scaling

I am attempting to have my description keys scale my symbols by both the drawing scale and a fixed scale factor based on description parameter 1 and I need help. Plus, is there a way to import my description key file into a drawing?
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Mike, As well as the help file, the process for scaling is described in the Tutorials on Point display. There are three theoretical ways you can input data from the Description Key file into the drawing. 1 Screen Grab - To be meaningful you'll need a program like SnagIt which can grab an area of the screen. You won't be able to see the scaling data. 2 Clipboard. I couldn't make any meaningful selection of data from the Description Key Manager when I tried. 3 By writing a program This is the only satisfactory way. Other ways are to retype the data to a text file and insert that, or enter the data directly as MText by typing.. -- Laurie Comerford CADApps www.cadapps.com.au "Mike Norton" wrote in message news:40c48fb9$1_3@newsprd01... > I am attempting to have my description keys scale my symbols by both the > drawing scale and a fixed scale factor based on description parameter 1 and > I need help. > > Plus, is there a way to import my description key file into a drawing? > >
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous

I found the easiest way to "plot" the description Key file was to import the file into an Excel spreadsheet. Generate some plotting positions for these entries in the spreadsheet. Then use this spreadsheet to make a PENZD comma-separated file. Then create LDT Points from this CSV file (use "Import Points"). This shows what the program will do with your particular descriptions and Description Keys file. Doug Boys Cardno MBK Brisbane Australia
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous

First, let me reiterate my goal with regard to symbol scaling to avoid any possible confusion. My raw description code is OAK 12. I want both the drawing scale and a fixed scale factor applied to parameter 1 (trunk diameter) in order that the symbol for a 36" oak tree will be 3 times as large as the symbol for a 12" oak tree. I've used both the tutorials and the Help but have yet to find a reference to this specific process. I have been able to scale my symbols according to the drawing scale or a fixed scale factor but not to both as in Land Desktop 2004. Laurie, is this process addressed in the tutorial you mention? I can't seem to find it. Doug, how are you incorporating your description keys from one project to the next? "Mike Norton" wrote in message news:40c48fb9$1_3@newsprd01... > I am attempting to have my description keys scale my symbols by both the > drawing scale and a fixed scale factor based on description parameter 1 and > I need help. > > Plus, is there a way to import my description key file into a drawing? > >
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

Hi Mike, The attached screen grab show the settings to use both fixed and drawing scale. In the normal course of events for trees you should use the Parameter 1 to scale the tree and NOT the drawing scale. The fixed factor is only used when the initial size of the block is wrong. It you case of OAK 12, then 12 is Parameter 1. You should use Drawing scale for items such as Bench Marks and other symbolic things. -- Laurie Comerford CADApps www.cadapps.com.au "Mike Norton" wrote in message news:40c5f1cf$1_1@newsprd01... > First, let me reiterate my goal with regard to symbol scaling to avoid any > possible confusion. My raw description code is OAK 12. I want both the > drawing scale and a fixed scale factor applied to parameter 1 (trunk > diameter) in order that the symbol for a 36" oak tree will be 3 times as > large as the symbol for a 12" oak tree. > > I've used both the tutorials and the Help but have yet to find a reference > to this specific process. I have been able to scale my symbols according to > the drawing scale or a fixed scale factor but not to both as in Land Desktop > 2004. > > Laurie, is this process addressed in the tutorial you mention? I can't seem > to find it. > > Doug, how are you incorporating your description keys from one project to > the next? > > > "Mike Norton" wrote in message > news:40c48fb9$1_3@newsprd01... > > I am attempting to have my description keys scale my symbols by both the > > drawing scale and a fixed scale factor based on description parameter 1 > and > > I need help. > > > > Plus, is there a way to import my description key file into a drawing? > > > > > >
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous

I appreciate your help, Laurie. Please forgive me for being so dense but I AM toggling on both the fixed scale factor and the drawing scale factor just as I do in Land Desktop 2004 and still not achieving the desired effect. I use the Description Key Editor to toggle these on. I cannot find the same dialog shown in your screen capture. I'm using a standard Land Desktop symbol (cg_t30) which, in fact, is the wrong size. My calculated fixed scale factor sizes this symbol based on the formula for calculating the drip ring of a deciduous tree. You are correct in that the trunk diameter is parameter 1. Thus far, I have been able to scale by fixed factor or drawing scale but not both. Again, how is everybody migrating description keys from one drawing to the next? "Laurie Comerford" wrote in message news:40c62f5b_3@newsprd01... > Hi Mike, > > The attached screen grab show the settings to use both fixed and drawing > scale. > > In the normal course of events for trees you should use the Parameter 1 to > scale the tree and NOT the drawing scale. The fixed factor is only used > when the initial size of the block is wrong. It you case of OAK 12, then 12 > is Parameter 1. > > You should use Drawing scale for items such as Bench Marks and other > symbolic things. > > -- > > > Laurie Comerford > CADApps > www.cadapps.com.au > > > "Mike Norton" wrote in message > news:40c5f1cf$1_1@newsprd01... > > First, let me reiterate my goal with regard to symbol scaling to avoid any > > possible confusion. My raw description code is OAK 12. I want both the > > drawing scale and a fixed scale factor applied to parameter 1 (trunk > > diameter) in order that the symbol for a 36" oak tree will be 3 times as > > large as the symbol for a 12" oak tree. > > > > I've used both the tutorials and the Help but have yet to find a reference > > to this specific process. I have been able to scale my symbols according > to > > the drawing scale or a fixed scale factor but not to both as in Land > Desktop > > 2004. > > > > Laurie, is this process addressed in the tutorial you mention? I can't > seem > > to find it. > > > > Doug, how are you incorporating your description keys from one project to > > the next? > > > > > > "Mike Norton" wrote in message > > news:40c48fb9$1_3@newsprd01... > > > I am attempting to have my description keys scale my symbols by both the > > > drawing scale and a fixed scale factor based on description parameter 1 > > and > > > I need help. > > > > > > Plus, is there a way to import my description key file into a drawing? > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

Mike, I have a dumb question for you if you use the Import Data from Land Desktop can you import a Description Key from an existing LD project? Mark Martinez The D.C. CADD Company
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

I don't know, Mark. Have you tried? -- Mike Norton Total CAD Systems - Houston mike@tcadsys.com The only thing worse than training an employee and watching them leave is NOT training an employee and having them stay! "Mark Martinez" wrote in message news:e6rgc0pga6s8c875c442qial90e5sg61he@4ax.com... > Mike, > > I have a dumb question for you if you use the Import Data from Land Desktop can > you import a Description Key from an existing LD project? > > > Mark Martinez > The D.C. CADD Company
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous

first attempt failed -- Mike Norton Total CAD Systems - Houston mike@tcadsys.com The only thing worse than training an employee and watching them leave is NOT training an employee and having them stay! "Mike Norton" wrote in message news:40c87503$1_1@newsprd01... > I don't know, Mark. Have you tried? > > -- > Mike Norton > Total CAD Systems - Houston > mike@tcadsys.com > > The only thing worse than training an employee and watching them leave is > NOT training an employee and having them stay! > > "Mark Martinez" wrote in message > news:e6rgc0pga6s8c875c442qial90e5sg61he@4ax.com... > > Mike, > > > > I have a dumb question for you if you use the Import Data from Land > Desktop can > > you import a Description Key from an existing LD project? > > > > > > Mark Martinez > > The D.C. CADD Company > >
Message 10 of 10
Anonymous

Mike, Yes, of course. I wanted to see if you were successful. You are going to start running into a multitude of object hierarchy issues that I have yet to find documented. Good luck. Mark Martinez The D.C. CADD Company

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report