Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

creating fill slope with upward slope

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
shaneelliss
3042 Views, 13 Replies

creating fill slope with upward slope

Is it possible to have a fill slope be a positive upward slope? I want to daylight to the side of a hill with fill, but I can only get the fill to slope downward to the existing surface. See the attached image for a better explanation.

Thanks
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
codyg
in reply to: shaneelliss

Does inputting a negative slope for the fill value work? i.e. -4 for 4:1. I believe one of my friends got this to work in LDD for a roadway template daylight line.
Message 3 of 14
shaneelliss

No, that was the first thing I tried. Any other suggestions?
Message 4 of 14

I put a grading criteria that works on this website of mine:
http://fredbobchris.googlepages.com/intermittentblockoftheday
If you object to me using the picture, just let me know and I will remove it.

The grading criteria is called New Grading Criteria and the Grading Method is Surface with a projection of Cut Slope only. The rest is filled out to what ever values you want to use. A sample showing it working is in the file.

Christopher
http://civil-3d.blogspot.com/
Civil Reminders
http://blog.civil3dreminders.com/
http://www.CivilReminders.com/
Alumni
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous

I'm surprized nobody asked if you were doing this with grading or a
corridor. The resolution is quite different for each.

Christopher's solution for grading is perfect.

If you're trying to get a corridor to do this you'll need to use a
LinkSlopeToSurface with a positive slope.

Matt
Message 6 of 14

I always have the reverse issue, it daylight fills up, and I want it to daylight cut down.

How are you getting it to daylight cut down when it naturally wants to go up.
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous

The trick is not to use a daylight subassembly. You have to use a generic
link. LinkSlopToSurface and set the slope to be positive to go up or
negative to go down. It will take a fair amount of manual edits if your cut
and fill are swapping often, but it's the only way.

Matt
Message 8 of 14

Thanks,
but in this case I'm refering to daylighting with feature lines and grading objects.
Message 9 of 14
jwedding

With a grading criteria, you can select Cut Only or Fill Only within the
criteria styles.
--
James Wedding, P.E.
Engineered Efficiency Inc.
www.eng-eff.com
www.civil3d.com
C3D/Vista/2GB
Message 10 of 14
shaneelliss

Thanks for the tips.
Message 11 of 14

I have used a criteria that specified cut only before.

But it does not resolve the issue, as it is still filling up and not cutting down.

It also gives the same results as the grade to surface criteria.

I think in some cases, due to the topography of the site, it will only daylight in one direction.
Message 12 of 14
davidtice1958

Have the grading issues been resolved, improved or fixed since this 2007 thread? The description on the attached jpeg was exactly the issue I'm having.
Message 13 of 14

I'm wondering if they've gone backwards with the progress on this key feature.

Operating Civil 3D 2010 with most current service packs (if any... I can't really remember, but it IS up to date)

I attempted the corridor solution provided by Mr. Kolberg using a LinkSlopeToSurface with a positive slope only, and with the more recent versions you can further specify whether you want the daylight to be Cut or Fill exclusively, and I have chosen Fill for this assembly with a positive 3:1 (33.33%) slope
*see attached*

My grading result is still the same though, the slope goes down instead of up. I have tried the following modifications to the assembly to achieve a positive fill slope:

- Changing to Cut only
- Inputting a negative slope (which is contradictory to rational thought)

None of those provided the action I wanted with the assembly. Then I thought that perhaps the surface I was trying to target was out of the range of the daylight at the slope I had specified, so I inputted progressively flatter slopes just to see if I could get it to target in a positive slope and I went all the way to 10:1 with no success. The best I was able to get was a flat 0% slope which looked pretty messed up with the curves in my alignment.

I don't really mind the fact that it won't do it, but there should be some kind of "forced" override that you can set for the region (or something) where you can tell it, "yah, I know you want to grade THAT way, but I need you go grade THIS way, so do it!"

Maybe they could add to the section where you can choose Cut or Fill or Cut and Fill and add "Reverse Fill or Positive Fill".

Make it happen Autodesk!
Message 14 of 14
ChuckLamping
in reply to: Anonymous

Matt's on to it here. I would only add that the LinkSlopeToSurface subassembly needs to add link in Cut and Fill.  If you pick cut or fill only, it will daylight negative slope.  It's not logical, but that's how it's programmed.  See the attachment.

Civil 3D 2017 SP1.1

Chuck Lamping, PE
Civil 3D 2017 SP1.1

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report