Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

creating a rail sub assembly in Sub Assembly Composer 2013

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
bob.gilman
1770 Views, 2 Replies

creating a rail sub assembly in Sub Assembly Composer 2013

I thought I created a rail sub assembly.

So I created the rail sub assembly everything looks great in sub assembly composer.

Start a new dwg data reference in the rail alignment, Note the rail alignment type is set to rail.

Create an assembly and under the Construction tab for the assembly the Assembly Type is set to Railway. Attach my custom sub assembly to this assembly.

Created a corridor and I get this error: Something wrong with current subassembly: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object. 

So I delete my sub assembly attach the Civil 3D Rail Single sub assembly. Re run corridor and everything works fine.

So I promote the alignment change type to centerline. Delete the Rail Single sub assembly put my rail sub assembly back. Rerun the corridor and everything works.

So then I undo everything up to the point of promoting the alignment.

Opened the base file changed the alignment type to centerline.

When I tried to synchronize the references I ended up a broken reference with the following error. Invalid reference. Synchronization failed

Not good we already have plan sheets cut.

So my question is where in sub assembly composer were do I define the sub assembly to be for Rail? 

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
KMercier_C3D
in reply to: bob.gilman

When I am trying to recreate a subassembly which is similar to something that is already a stock subassembly I will typically pull up the Subassembly Reference for the stock subassembly (LINK) and also do a search on my computer for the stock subassembly name to pull up the visual basic file for the stock subassembly. It might give you some hints of variables that are used/calculated. Without knowing how the back end of Civil 3D really works with rail, my guess is that it is trying to find one of the variables that is in RailSingle.vb. Sorry I don't have a better answer. Good luck!

Kati Mercier, P.E. | LinkedIn | AutoCAD Civil 3D Certified Professional
Pronouns: She/Her
Co-author of "Mastering AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013"
AU2019 Speaker::: CES321590: Analyze and Revise Existing Subassembly Composer PKT Files for AutoCAD Civil 3D
AU2017 Speaker::: CI125544: Analyze and Devise in Subassembly Composer
AU2012 Speaker::: CI3001: Reverse Engineering with Subassembly Composer for AutoCAD Civil 3D
AU2011 Speaker::: CI4252: Create Subassemblies That Think Outside the Box With Subassembly Composer for AutoCAD® Civil 3D®

Message 3 of 3
John_N
in reply to: bob.gilman

I have encountered the "Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object" problem a few times.  I ran into this when the cant had not been defined for the rail alignment.  If this is the issue you have, I would suggest modifying your code to check if the cant is defined before using any Cant class properties:

IF(Cant.IsDefined, True, False)

Hopefully this helps.  I know how frustating it is when your entire corridor disappears.  Maybe Autodesk can have the Cant class properties default to 0 if undefined.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report