Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

corridor mill

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
MonkeyTrainer
502 Views, 16 Replies

corridor mill

i am doing a notch and overlay with turn lane. i have a new profile that the road will follow. is there an assembly i can build the can have lanes that will super? see the image. (the left and right sides look different because i have been trying different stuff, but that is what it need to look like.) i can build an assembly that works beaurtifully. the problem is, when i  have a profile for the eop to follow, the slope will differ for the two lanes on the one side of the road (since there are "2" lanes.) i have read online stuff but the subassemblies acad created wants an existing profile for it to follow for the overlay. i dont want to do this since i have a proposed profle. no existing ground needs to be used for my overlay what so ever. its like i have a broke back lane from CL to EOP because of the profile on the EOP. it holds the keyed slope for the "first lane", and i would like a constant slope.

someone said to get into the parameters for the subassem. and change the "use superelevation" around. i tried but might have done it wrong. any suggestions would be great. 

thanks people of the internet!

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
BrianHailey
in reply to: MonkeyTrainer

I think the approach you will need to take is to target the profile with your subassemblie. Then, in the Assembly properties, use the output lane slope of that subassembly as the input lane slope for the adjacent subassembly.

http://screencast.com/t/bSvbROPmGCk

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 3 of 17
MonkeyTrainer
in reply to: BrianHailey

Thanks for the reply Brian. I will look into this when I can. I have been struggling with this for some time now.

Message 4 of 17
Joe-Bouza

You can set a layout profile when using the OM sub with LOS attached to it for the widening. And if you set match existing it will follow the existing super, plus as Brian showed get the SE from the OM sub

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 5 of 17
MonkeyTrainer
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

as you can see, i tried the option, but it didn't work. am i doing something wrong? both assem. are super AOR's. i tried to change the slope option for the other assem., but it wouldn't let me. i am guessing because it would always super to the inside.

as i said, i know there are rehab assemblies, but all the ones i went through want me to follow an existing grade of some sort, and my proposed design doesn't call for any existing grade to be incorporated, as i am following a brand new proposed profile.

Message 6 of 17
Joe-Bouza

If you are not following EG in your milled section then you should be able to assign super to your profile and the inside subs. You cant?

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 7 of 17
MonkeyTrainer

thats what i thought. i had to do that in another section of the road. the reason for me asking this, is this happens at an intersection and would have to do this very micro-engineering like. there are a ton of cross sectiions at this point because of curb radii. this method takes forever. i thought civ3d might have settings to combat this. it could take hours and hours to do and back check. this isnt the only area i have to do this in. see image.

thanks Joe.

Message 8 of 17
Joe-Bouza

Intersections? I do them differently that the mainline. Have you ever modeled an intersection? Bassically adding more baselines for curb returns and what-nots. I wouldn't try to run cl through and pickup the returns 

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 9 of 17
Joe-Bouza

I got a glimpse of that Smiley Tongue

Yeah, but Engineering comes first. Layout a sound engineered path and your work flow should take a natural course

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 10 of 17
MonkeyTrainer

sorry, i deleted my old post...but,

Joe, did you see the 5th post picture named in-detail with the detail of how my subs were setup? i thought that is what i was doing, in the assemblie properties. if you look at that picture, can you tell me if i am doing something wrong with trying to apply the super? i re-read your post to make sure i wasn't missing something.

thanks.

Message 11 of 17
Joe-Bouza

Joe

the super gets computed through the alignment and the the subs pick it up. I'll be honest, I don't have too many designs the involve SE so you'll need to look into the tutorial. But the asignments get done the same way. could you show more of the dialog in your screen grab?

http://docs.autodesk.com/CIV3D/2013/ENU/index.html?url=filesCTU/GUID-AA0068E0-2858-4067-9104-161112D...

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 12 of 17
MonkeyTrainer

i'll be glad to grab any screen you'd like but, there are a lot of screens that we could look at. is there specific ones that you would like to get a good look at? also, i am not applying a super elevation to it, just alignment and profile. will a super do better in this instance. EDITED.

Message 13 of 17
Joe-Bouza

First. I'm in the middle of this hurricane and lost power twice so if a vanish on you - don't take it personally.

I'm confused about two things you are milling but not following EG and you are trying to get  you widening to match the Super elevation, but you have no SE to apply?

1. If you are milling and filling but have a proposed PGL to follow, are you matching the existing cross slopes?

2. If you are milling and filling but have a proposed PGL to follow, Do you want to Super elevate to make a AASHTO improvement?

3. If you are milling and filling but have a proposed PGL to follow, are you trying to change the cross slope to be normal crown?

1 & 3 can be done with a rehab assembly and attached OS assemblies

2. Would require additional profiles for the edge of overlays and the attached Outside supers can pick up their cross slopes.

So what exactly is you design intent? Sorry if this is frustrating but at this point I'm not sure of what you are trying to do?

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 14 of 17
MonkeyTrainer

firstly this improvement is tying into another road that has been widened also. we are raising/lowering certain parts of the road to make a softer approach coming into the intersection. as i said before, we are not following any kind of existing grade here. it is option 2 that you have typed out there. the slope i am trying to hit it somewhere around 2.2% from CL to EOP, but as you can see in the image, the closest "lane" stays at a solid 2% (as hard keyed for definition of the sub.), and the other takes on the profile set at the EOP along with the alignment. the lane that is staying at 2% has an alignment too becuase it is the existing road, and gets wider, and narrower throughout the length of the road. i have been modeling for some years now and this a very difficult design, but thought if civ3d had some rehab sub.'s, the type of sub i need wouldn't require existing grade (although i understand why.)

my alignments run around the radius of a curb, and there are a lot of cross sections in the area that would cause me to calculate slopes that would exactly match each other which takes a lot of time (had to do it on another part of the road.) 

i am only a technician, not the engineer working on this, and i am doing my best to follow plans that are already laid out in this area. there are elevations i must hit at certain points, and dont need any existing grade in these particular areas to design around. i could just model it using feature lines and such but if quantities are needed, i dont want to work some magic to get them.

heard about the hurricane, i am in no real rush yet, but its close so take your time. i am patient with people that try to help out. i hope things go alright for you over there.

if theres some other piece of info. you need, let me know.

thanks,

Message 15 of 17
Joe-Bouza

So it sounds like your left anf right edges of overlay have to vary in relation the the center line pgl. In that case you will need to devlop profile for both edges to follow. There are a few ways you can develop these profiles. One way I do it is to make two copies of the centerline layout profile lower one the min alowable cross slope elevation chang an the other the maximum allowable cross slope change and use those two line as a window to draw a target profile.

Lets see the whole construction tab screen grab

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 16 of 17
MonkeyTrainer

this may be getting out of my control here... i may just use a 1 lane sub. in that area and set some feature lines for the finished model. ill have to deal with the quantity hurdle when that comes up. i do truly appreciate the help, without people going through these posts, a lot of us would be lost.

hope everything with hurricane Sandy went well for you, the news is making it out to be really bad.

signing off in hope that in the future, there will be a way in which this method gets easier though, you cant predict every scenario in construction. this was a toughy with a vertical curve, curb lines, eop elev., and being in a intersection.

Message 17 of 17
Joe-Bouza

Too bad we couldn't get you fixed.

Some places got wacked but we faired pretty well. 20 mile west and south not so lucky

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report