Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

coordinate transformation

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
darreng_oa
608 Views, 7 Replies

coordinate transformation

i built a surface with points collected in a california state plane grid projection - survey feet, and now i simply wish convert to california state plane grid - meters. updating the drawing settings doesnt seem to convert.

any ideas?

thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
wfberry
in reply to: darreng_oa

I would try this.

Export your surface out to LandXML.  Start a new drawing using your California metric template set up for your locale.  Import LandXML into the new drawing.

Bill

Message 3 of 8
surveyor8120
in reply to: wfberry

IF you have autocad map, you can set up a new drawing in meters and then query in the data from the us survey feet drawing.

Anthony Robinson, PLS, CFEDS
CRW Engineering Group, LLC
Civil 3D 2015
Windows 7 Prof. x64 SP1
Dell Workstation
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU
870 @ 2.93GHz
16.00 GB RAM
Message 4 of 8
AllenJessup
in reply to: surveyor8120

@surveyor8120 wrote:

IF you have autocad map, you can set up a new drawing in meters and then query in the data from the us survey feet drawing.

To do that you'd have to explode the surface or extract the 3D lines, do the query and rebuild the Surface from the lines. Map won't query Civil 3D objects.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 8
tcorey
in reply to: surveyor8120

This is a good suggestion if the original data are AutoCAD objects but Civil 3D objects, such as Points, Surfaces and Alignments, do not query using Map.

For this poster, I would go with Bill's suggestion because I think the OP has COGO points.

If he doesn't want to start a new drawing, he could export his points to .txt, delete the points in the drawing, make a Point File Format for his state plane in feet, change drawing settings to metric, change coordinate system assigned to Ca state plane metric, import the points using the previously created point file format, be sure to turn on the option to Do coordinate transformation if possible, and rebuild the surface.

Best regards,

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 6 of 8
AllenJessup

I'd run the point file through Corpscon and rebuild the surface. Or if you built the Surface from a point file instead of Civil 3D points. You could just convert the points file.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 8
surveyor8120
in reply to: AllenJessup

If you use a survey data base with Civil 3D, and if it is assigned a coordinate system in the settings.  When you have a drawing with a different coordinate system and you import the survey points and figures from a database it will convert the data to the drawing coordinate system.

Anthony Robinson, PLS, CFEDS
CRW Engineering Group, LLC
Civil 3D 2015
Windows 7 Prof. x64 SP1
Dell Workstation
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU
870 @ 2.93GHz
16.00 GB RAM
Message 8 of 8
darreng_oa

thank you for all the suggestions - my solution was to use corpscon, only because i did not have any TIN adjustments to make (and wanted to be certain transformations were dont correctly) but also thought that any sort of re-importing, data-shortcutting, etc would rebuild the surface as C3D sees fit, and ignore user-updates and changes made to triangles?  can anyone comment on the preservation of TIN line adjustments and coordinate transformation?

much thanks!

Darren

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report