AutoCAD Civil 3D General

Message 1 of 4 (469 Views)

converting decimal degrees to a point id

469 Views, 3 Replies
05-15-2012 08:36 AM

Is there a way to convert decimal degrees to a point id?  I have tried inputing the decimal degrees in as point but land no where close to the coordinate it should.  Any help would be great.  

Thanks

Message 2 of 4 (452 Views)

Re: converting decimal degrees to a point id

05-15-2012 12:47 PM in reply to: aslove

I am unsure what you mean by 'decimal degrees' and how you want to apply them.  Are you expressing a desire to create a point by inputting its state plane coordinates (or perhaps lat/long) in decimal form? And by 'point id' do you mean to create a label for the point which displays those coordinates, as opposed to, say, a point number or point description? Please clarify what you're trying to accomplish here - I'm sure someone in the forum can help once we better understand your intent. You might just need a setting change or a new point label style.

Message 3 of 4 (444 Views)

05-15-2012 01:13 PM in reply to: joeb

yes, I have converted a lat long coordinate to a decimal degree.  I then would like to that lat-long decimal degree and put into my drawing.  I have my drawing set to UTM27-13F.  When I input the decimal degree it comes in way south of where it should be.  To automate the conversion I have input all of my coordinates into the GEODETOC CALCULATOR to come up with my GRID EASTING AND GRID NORTHING.

Mentor
Message 4 of 4 (428 Views)

05-16-2012 08:41 AM in reply to: aslove

Enter you lat and long data into a comma delimited text file. Then use the Import > Points from File command to import the points into your drawing.  Create a point file format that has a lat/long coordinate zone assigned and the column names Degrees-Latitude and Degrees-Longitude.

DegreesLatLangPointFileFormat.jpg

Toggle on the Do coordinate transformation if possible option at the bottom of the Import Points window.

David Zavislan, P.E. | CAD Manager / Associate | NV5 | www.nv5.com

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Welcome to the new Autodesk Community!
If this is your first visit, click here to get started and make the most of the Community. Let us know what you think of the new experience in the Community Feedback Forum.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Civil 3D Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for AutoCAD Civil 3D helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Civil 3D

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs