Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

command in progress error when plotting by window

25 REPLIES 25
Message 1 of 26
Jmarugg
2669 Views, 25 Replies

command in progress error when plotting by window

This is a wierd error. When plotting by window a command in progress error would display and not allow me to do anything. I fould that hitting the ESC ket rappidly would get me out. Considering how throughly fustrated I was, I figured out what was causing it. Its the scroll wheel. There is there some sort of option I don't know about for 2013? If I try and plot by window and use the scroll wheel to zoom it I get the command in progress error everytime plotter settings don't matter. This has got to be a bug of some sort due to the fact that I have tryed it on 2 workstations with the same result. Any Ideas on how to fix it, or should I just wait. 

25 REPLIES 25
Message 2 of 26
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: Jmarugg

Hi,

>> Any Ideas on how to fix it

And what release of Civil3D are you talking about (and what servicepack)? I had this error, yes, but it's long time ago I got it the last time, maybe 2009 or 2010?

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 26
Jmarugg

C3D 2013 x64. No service packs have been released that I know of.

Message 4 of 26
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> If I try and plot by window

Window in modelspace?

Window in paperspace?

What mouse driver do you use?

Just in one drawing or also in new drawings (started from an original Autodesk-template)?

We need to know where to start trying 😉

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 5 of 26
Jmarugg
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Window in modelspace? YES

Window in paperspace? Not tryed

What mouse driver do you use? 

I tryed it with 2 differant mice both using Microsoft driver on 64bit. I also tryed it on a x32 verison of C3D 2013 and had the same issue.

Just in one drawing or also in new drawings (started from an original Autodesk-template)?

Happens in all DWG's new from our template or from the plain acad.dwt.

Message 6 of 26
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

confirmed for Civil3D 2013 German. ;(

The steps to reproduce:

• avtivate modelspace
  • start command _PLOT ==> plot-window comes up
  • set plotter
  • set paperformat
  • change to option "Windows" ==> plot dialog hides and AutoCAD asks for the first window-point
  • now use the wheel just one small turn ==> you see in the command-line the problem with "command is active" (translated from german)
  • pressing now <ESC> twice brings you back but a corner seems to be selected.
  • When you turned the wheel a lot more, you have to press <ESC> a lot of times to come back.

But I have to say that I didn't use plot from modelspace for years now,

I also didn't use plot with option "Window" for years now.

That said I tried also plotting from layout and this time using option "Window" for the plotting area ==> no problem at all.

Sorry, - alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 7 of 26
Jmarugg
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

We at my company use it a lot for plotting out small sections of a project on 8 1/2 x 11 paper for field crew to use. Its a lot easer to carry then a full plat when your looking for control or just neet to check a few things. 

Message 8 of 26
wfberry

I have always had best results by not loading any mouse drivers.  Let Windows do it.  But I don't use any fancy smancy mouse operations.

Bill

Message 9 of 26
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: wfberry

Hi Bill,

I haven't installed any special mouse-driver and yes, I have the original Win7-driver (just this) installed, no special button-assignment-16-button-5-wheel-and-whatever-specials-exists driver 😉

And I'm also having the issue with modelspace-window plotting and mouse-wheel-zoom. 😞

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 10 of 26
Arfman

I can also confirm this issue.

I downloaded and installed C3D 2013 on my machine (64bit Windows 7) and everytime I scroll in the select window command under the plot dialog box I get the error. 

I also had to set the command line transparency to be the same for both normal and when hovered over. When the second is set to a less transparent setting the command line flickers between the transparencies when I enter commands.

I am holding off installing C3D on the other machines in my office because of this plotting issue.

Message 11 of 26
Arfman
in reply to: Arfman

Has there been any progress on this error? I would like to switch my office to 2013, but this error is one of the big things stopping that. 

Message 12 of 26
Jmarugg

I have not found one as of yet other then making sure im zoomed in enough not to have to zoom in, but I have found more bugs. Like ddedit not working all the time with a double click. I also get minor freezes where I have to minimize civil 3d and reexpand it. I haven't tested these out on other installs. one that I do know of that annoy's me is the point groups not updating when I add points to it. We call it the "uppity down bug". You have to send the point group to the bottom of the list, click apply, and then send it to the top of the list and hit apply again, before the point lables will update. I had this issue in 2012 as well. I am not sure why it happens. I just want to get work done.

Message 13 of 26
ad_crj_1234

Regarding Civil 3D 2013 zooming issues when selecting plot window corner points...

So you are using the mouse's scroll wheel to zoom when selecting your plot window corner points?

Try using the Zoom Realtime command available from the Navigate 2D Panel of the View Tab.  (I have this command on a toolbar so it will be handy.)  When zooming in realtime you can right-click and also pan if you need to (and switch back and forth between pan and zoom).

I duplicated your problem when plotting today, and the above solution worked for me. I was able to zoom in/pan around and successfully select corner points for my plot window.

This is a little bit slower than being able to use your mouse wheel, but at least it works so that you can zoom in to select plot window corner points if you need to.

Message 14 of 26
Arfman

FYI:

This issue as well as a few others I have had with Civil 3d 2013 seemed to be fixed with the AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013 Hotfix 1. 

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=20100771&linkID=9240698

I hope it stays working and I can finally switch.

Good luck!

Message 15 of 26
bdraper1

I am running into the same issue.  My C3D 2013 is up to date with Hot Fix 2 and is still having this issue.  Any other suggestions on how to fix this issue?

Message 16 of 26
Arfman

I need to revive this thread because I am getting this same problem again.

Here is my history with the problem. When Civil 3D 2013 came out I downloaded it and installed it. I imediately discovered that when selecting my window during plotting by window, if I zoomed or panned I would not be able to pick any points and would have to hit escape SEVERAL times to get it to exit out of the selection command. AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013 Hotfix 1 solved the problem and all was good.

When our office decided to all move to 2013 last month (DEC 2012) I installed it on the workstations then installed the AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013 Service Pack 1 skipping the hotfix. I assumed it was included. Sadly I was wrong because we are experiencing the same issue all over again. All of our workstations that installed 2013 this way are experiencing it.

I have tried to install Hotfix 1 on these workstations but it doesn't install on the SP1 version.

We need this to get fixed sooner than later because it is a major hassel to lock up everytime we go to plot.

Message 17 of 26
TKECAD2

This is a HUGE issue. we don't need a work around. We need a fix. We pay too much for this software to have a stupid consisent bug like that. Every file, every plot, across the board. Does staff not actually use the software they program? Or are there combinations that work for people. Any mouse scroll wheel zoom in/out during a plot windows jacks up. 

Message 18 of 26
rbjergens

I just recently discovered that this anomaly is not isolated to the plotting command.  I too have experienced the "command in progress" message when attempting to pan or zoom while using the "window" selection within the plot command.

I am now experiencing the same message while working outside of the plot command.  Frequently, while working in Cvil3D, I notice the UCS icon as well as the settings in the top left corner of the model space window begin to blink.  Exiting the software and restarting seems to stop the blinking for a short period; however, if I attempt to run an "Audit" command, I immediately receive the "command in progress" message and pressing the Esc key to exit forces the program to close without a save option.

This is occurring on two separate workstations and I cannot find what command sequence triggers the message.

I am concerned that by performing some initial research via web searches, it appears people have experienced this problem as far back as 2006.  Seven years and no solution from Autodesk?  This is concerning.

David Reynolds

Civil3D 2013 SP1

Message 19 of 26
mkaandorp
in reply to: rbjergens

We have same issue when selecting Window in the plotting command.

Need a solution quickly, not a work around (taskmanager, end, cancel (more then ones) will quit the plot command or do not zoom in window plot command)).

Marco

AutoCAD MAP 3D 2013, Win7, x64

Message 20 of 26

We are having the same issue on our workstations. Only happens in the window selection or when scrolling in or out to select. Is there any soultion yet?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report