Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

broken data references

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
shannonbeth
383 Views, 4 Replies

broken data references

does anyone know if you open a drawing that was created with AutoCad Civil3D 2011 and create all of your Civil objects and data references if it is a bad idea to then open it at a later date in AutoCad Civil as Autocad 2011. Does this effect any of the data in the drawing. It has been recommended here that we do this for making minor line/text edits as some folks have slower computers that cant handle the civil side of the program.

I am trying to figure out why we are constantly facing corrupt drawing files that lose references.

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
lsimms1
in reply to: shannonbeth

If people are freezing layers, you will have problems.

If people are doing a "save as" you will have problems.

If your data shortcuts are stored within the project file rather than a central location for all data shortcuts, you could have problems if the people do not set the proper folder for the references.

Personally, I would not recommend using both the civil and acad programs for drawings.

I would be more apt to tar and feather the offending parties.

Message 3 of 5

Yeah, I think you answered your own question.  Civil 3D is not made to open in AutoCAD.  It can be, but to open a Civil 3D drawing and saving as lsimms1 stated, you are going to corrupt the drawing and lose all your Civil 3D data.

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager
Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 4 of 5
shannonbeth

Thanks you guys for the response. I have had a feeling that things were being handled inappropriately some where along the project line and was trying to figure out how perfectly useable drawings were blowing out.

My new problem is that i was told thats impossible, "auto cad is auto cad " and i am not sure how to explain the "Why we cannot save Civil 3d drawing files as Auto CAD drawing files part."

I assume that when you open a civil drawing in a version of Cad not equipped with civil tools and save it, then try to reopen it in a civil version you have already confused the drawing into thinking that it doesnt have civil 3d entities attached. How can i explain this to make my point heard?

I really appreciate any and all of the expert responses! Thank you.

Message 5 of 5
john.mckenzie

If your process workflow will not allow everyone the horsepower required to utilize C3d in its native format, it could be handled in another way. It would require an additional step in the process.

Civil3d designers could work in Civil3d in directory or drawing specifically for them.

We call any drawing that has a C3d Object such as surface, alignment,profile, section, corridor, parcels, etc.

C3d_ ?????????whatever??????.dwg

we do this so that our objects can be found later if needed in case of a broken reference or a non created reference or a number of things.

Now, we also have our template set up such that objects are forced to layers that play nice when we use the "export to acad" function for delivery to external clients not using acad C3d.

if your civil group were to save the drawings with export to acad for use by the rest of the team and treat the rest of the team as an external client. this could be done.

It is not hard. It is not incredibly time consuming although it takes time and discipline.

it can be done. It is an alteration in process that is all.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report