Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

automatic layer creation

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
allywhite666
868 Views, 13 Replies

automatic layer creation

Hello,

I am trying to get civil 3D to automatically create layers similar to ones already created. For example-

Using Description keys I am inserting survey points which automatically create layers for each type of point. e.g. p_building. I would also like a second layer to be created called l_building (for building lines) when the p_building layer is created. 

I realise I can create the layers and save as the drawing template but this is not a neat solution as you have to add every possible line layer (l_??) and then you will have a lot of empty layers as not all points are collected on each job.

Any help will be appreciated.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Pointdump
in reply to: allywhite666

I can't think of any way to do that, although I'm constantly surprised at the clever solutions by members of this forum.

You can use Layer Filters to see only in-use layers.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 3 of 14
pendean

If you only want to use core features then...
1. Template File.
2. Script File to create the layers if/when needed.
3. Lisp routine to replace all the above, but still requires a lot of preplanning and scenario/options setups.
Message 4 of 14
Joe-Bouza

As ellegant as you my like but Design center can be very helpful for pulling in layers

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Your Name

EESignature

Message 5 of 14
allywhite666
in reply to: Pointdump

@ Pointdump
Thanks for the reply.
Message 6 of 14
allywhite666
in reply to: pendean

@ pendean
Thanks for the help. I was just reading how to create a layer with a script file, but I think it will take me a while to get the program to check what point layers are already there and make new line ones for each. Looks like I have a lot of reading to do 😞 If anyone has a Lisp file or script file that will do what I want or knows where I can download one please let me know.
Thanks.
Message 7 of 14
allywhite666
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

@ Joe-Bouza
Thanks for the reply
I went to Design center but don't know what to do there. Can you give a little more detail as to what you mean?
Message 8 of 14
Joe-Bouza

You say you don't want to pre make all the layers in your proto to avoid empty layers, so make a seperate drawing file that does contain all imaginable layers. Then in Design center navigate to the "all layers drawing" file (hint: you can put in a location and set it as home for DC and it will always be ready for you) expand the drawing name>> expand the layer collection. Now you can drag and drop whatever layer you need into the drawing you are working on

Your Name
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Your Name

EESignature

Message 9 of 14
Neilw_05
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Design Center is a handy tool. To build your drawing that stores your layers you could use Design Center to bring in any layers that you already defined in your existing drawings.

One of the downsides to using Design Center as your solution is the users have to know where to look for the layers and drill down through network folders to find the files, but Joe's suggestion to set a Home folder eliminates much of that headache.

I didn't know you could set a Home folder Joe (still using 2004 here). Great tip!

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 10 of 14
BrianHailey

If you are using the survey data to create lines, use the survey database to do it for you. That way, in a similar fashion to the description keys, when it creates the lines, it will also create the layers the lines go on. If no lines are created of that specific type, no layers are created. You would probably need some sort of script or drawing standards to set the layer properties though.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 11 of 14
Jay_B

Will this dwt be used by multiple users?

If this is to be used in a project team environment, then it may turn out to be more work to reduce the

number of layers and adopt an import them as needed workflow.

This could also lead to company cad "Standards" not being followed. (everyone creating their favorite layers)

Every shop is different but in our workflow the mindset is to provide all standard layers in the template

(and we have A lot of them) and then set this main dwt as Qnew. We use several Layer Filters to help sort by categories.

This way all the user needs to worry about is doing work and not drawing setup.

Another thing to consider Civil 3D considers a Layer to be "In Use", when used in Object Layers, Styles etc.

So even that empty template can have many layers that can't be deleted without force and.

Sounds like you already have the Description Keys & Importing Survey via a Survey Database as suggested will

Automate the topo drafting.

Create a Figure Prefix Database and this can connect all the dots as collected in the field.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 12 of 14
kbiggs

We are using 2 templates, one for design layers and one for survey base layers. These templates contain our standard list of layers, which may be more than is required for some projects. If you are concerned about empty layers, then you can purge your drawing after having imported the survey data.

Personally, I leave the empty layers and work with layer filters, as this standardizes our project drawing structure.

Hope this helps,

Keith Biggs

Chair, CAD Standards Committee & Senior CAD Technician

R.F. Binnie & Associates
Ltd.

Leading in Quality: OQM
certified March 2013.

Message 13 of 14
jmayo-EE

In an ideal world the linework layers are automatically created when the linework is created via the survey database or when you create a new feature line.

If your using the database and linework codes the layers are automatically generated via the Linework Code Set. Same thing with Flines if you place them on thier own site and have the object layers set up in the drawing settings.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 14 of 14
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Tool palettes can be created for manual additions that would create the layers as needed. Same could be done for block insertions, dimensions and text. Of course this would be fo manually drafted items

Your Name

Your Name

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report