Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

autocad 2012 pipe network, profile view

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
swimwsr
3361 Views, 8 Replies

autocad 2012 pipe network, profile view

I am trying to draw a profile view of my pipe network. Everything works fine, except for the display of the pipes that connect perpendicular to the alignment. I want the pipes to show up on the profile as circles (or ellipses) when they connect to the manhole or another pipe. Is there a way I can do this? Not sure if its just a setting I can't find or what. Any help would be appriciated. Thanks.

Oh. and im using civil 2012 3d.

Tags (3)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
mathewkol
in reply to: swimwsr

If they cross the profile view's parent alignment then yes. If they don't, you're out of luck.

For those pipes that cross the alignment, open the pipe networks tab in profile view properties. Find that pipe and set the style override to a style that shows pips crossings in profile.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 3 of 9
mathewkol

Edit - if those pipes don't cross the alignment but are attached to a MH you can show the ellipse in the MH.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 4 of 9
swimwsr

Is there a default style that already has it set so that the ellipse shows in the profile view? if not where is the option to change this. I have pipe styles created, but never saw an option that would allow it to show the pipes only at the connetions.

Message 5 of 9
swimwsr

Never mind. Found it. just a display layer turned off. Thanks

Message 6 of 9
swimwsr

I got this to work, and it looks great. But now i have to turn off the manhole mask, which now shows the pipes connecting to the center of the manhole. Does anyone know of a way I can still have the structure mask on, but override it so that the ellipses are still shown over the manhole?

Message 7 of 9

@mathewkol wrote:
If they cross the profile view's parent alignment then yes. If they don't, you're out of luck.

This goes back to a question I asked earlier today.  So what do we do if it doesn't cross the parent alignment?  This is a useless tool for our water/sewer plans as we project almost all of those onto centerline of road and IF it crosses the alignment, the invert at that point wouldn't be correct anyway.

How do you handle those crossings in those instances?  Old fashioned, calculate and draw ellipses?

Any guidance on this would be helpful.  I tried superimposing the center of road profile onto the center of sewer profile but because of the angles it loops back on itself and looks horrible. 

Tony Leggieri
Gutschick, Little & Weber, P.A. (GLW)
CADD Manager
Civil 3D 2023.2.1
Windows 10
Message 8 of 9
teesoy

I have found that the only way for a pipe to show up as a crossing in a profile view of a main alignment, is for the pipe to actually cross the alignment.  This misrepresents the way pipes tie into each other in the real world, and if you stretch your pipe segment to intersect the alignment, you will get longer segment lengths in your tables, than what would eventually be installed.  What I have done as a work around, is created "no plot" pipe segements for my laterals that go from the side wall of the backbone pipe wall to the intersection with the alignment at the center line. This pipe segment set at a fixed vertical depth (S=0) where it comes into the pipe wall.  This is the only work around I could think of to this point. If someone has a better solution, I am ALL EARS! Thanks! I hope this works for you for now...

Mr. T 

Message 9 of 9
abern1964

Did you ever find a solution to your pipe masking issue? I am hoping to find that solution for myself. Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report