AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

*Expert Elite*
tcorey
Message 11 of 14 (167 Views)

Re: assembly c3d 2012

12-26-2012 10:16 AM in reply to: lambertb

Make the top links have a link code of Top and the bottom links have a link code of Datum. Create a Corridor Surface for each code. Compare the two surfaces for volumes.

A shape is part of a single subassembly. The cross section volumes will add up all shapes of the same name across an assembly. In your situation, the subassy's have 0 thickness, so no shape can be created.

The workaround would be to use the Subassembly Composer, where you can create your own shapes.

Tim Corey, Owner
Delta Engineering Systems
Redding, CA
Autodesk Authorized Value-Added Reseller
Valued Mentor
fcernst
Message 12 of 14 (144 Views)

12-28-2012 01:29 PM in reply to: lambertb

When you mention reading in daylight for elevation and offlset, how do you do this?

I mean use the Ouput parameters from one subassembly as the Input parameters for another. It's really cool.

A truly great design feature option and implementation from the C3D design team, I think.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2015
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
*Expert Elite*
BrianHailey
Message 13 of 14 (131 Views)

12-28-2012 03:51 PM in reply to: fcernst

fcernst wrote:

I mean use the Ouput parameters from one subassembly as the Input parameters for another. It's really cool.

A truly great design feature option and implementation from the C3D design team, I think.

I totally agree! This option makes assemblies SO much more versitile. I've been able to adjust depths of things by targeting profiles that have an elevation that matches the depth needed. Need to transition the depth? Just use the elevation of the profile.

Brian Hailey
CAD-1.com
My Blog
*Expert Elite*
BrianHailey
Message 14 of 14 (100 Views)

12-30-2012 08:00 PM in reply to: lambertb

lambertb wrote:

Thanks for the help. Still having some problems. Is a shape defined by links? I need the orange shape to calculate volumes. Does piecing together generic links create a shape or does one need to go into subassembly composer...Which would be another topic for me.

When you mention reading in daylight for elevation and offlset, how do you do this? I tried a corridor feature but the message was feature is created from current corridor.

Just seems like a should be able to make a shape and have the back point to be -.1' horizontal from the origin, the = to daylight elevation for the vertical.

I do apologize as I am coming from InRoads where there templates use general contraints like horizontal and vertical. I do hope with more time to be able to create the crazy templates in C3D the same way I can in InRoads now.

Thanks.

Perhaps LinkMulti would give you the shape you need although I think it would be easier to create the two surfaces and do a volume between them in this instance.

Brian Hailey
CAD-1.com
My Blog
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.