AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

Active Contributor
bcollins
Message 1 of 7 (2,295 Views)
Accepted Solution

area units displayed as square feet

2295 Views, 6 Replies
01-18-2013 06:33 AM

In Civil 3D 2013, when I execute the _area command, i get results in square feet as opposed to acres.  Under the ambient settings, the area unit is set to acre.  Any suggestions as to how to get C3D to display my area in acres?  I just want it to list the area, not label it.

Also, is there a way to get it to display the area in BOTH acres and square feet?

*Expert Elite*
troma
Message 2 of 7 (2,290 Views)

Re: area units displayed as square feet

01-18-2013 06:51 AM in reply to: bcollins

I belive this is an acad command, so it gives results in the acad dwg units.  The same would apply to list.  To use the C3D settings you probably have to use a label.

Credit where credit is due! Give kudos or accept as solution whenever you can.

*Expert Elite*
AllenJessup
Message 3 of 7 (2,286 Views)

01-18-2013 07:10 AM in reply to: bcollins

For listing the area see:

http://www.lazydrafter.com/autocad-tips/find-area-in-acres

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?58694-Listing-Areas-in-Acres

http://cadtips.cadalyst.com/area/calculate-area-acres

If you want acres and sq ft dispalyed in Civil 3D. Create or Edit a Labei Style that shows both.

See attached image

Active Contributor
bcollins
Message 4 of 7 (2,274 Views)

01-18-2013 07:46 AM in reply to: AllenJessup

I've tried playing around with the labels some, but I can't get it to actually place the label on the drawing.  I go to add labels, feature = parcel, label type = area, area label style = standard (the default, unmodified C3D style), and hit add.

The command line promts me "Select parcel area selection label  or [sTartpoint/Polylines/aLL/Site]:"

I hit p for polylines, and the command line tells me to "select polyline paths:"  I select my polylines and hit enter and get nothing.  I've checked the layer that the style is supposed to be putting the label on to make sure that it is on and thawed, but there's nothing there.  I've also gone into the drawing settings to look at what layer the parcel labeling is on (layer zero), and 0 is also on and thawed.

I've tried the same thing with a style that I set up to label the area and square feet with the same results.  I've also tried to use the start point method as opposed to the polyline method and got the same results.

I was able to get the lisp routine from CadTutor to work, so I'm able to keep working, but I would like to figure out the labels too.  Thanks for your help.

*Expert Elite*
Jeff_M
Message 5 of 7 (2,270 Views)

01-18-2013 08:03 AM in reply to: bcollins

If you are trying to label a polyline area with a Parcel Label, that cannot be done without converting the pline to a parcel. The options you see are for dragging afence line through parcels (Startpoint option), or selecting a previously drawn pline which goes through parcels). You can use mtext with fields to label both sf & acres, although this could be time consuming without a lisp to help out.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
Active Contributor
bcollins
Message 6 of 7 (2,256 Views)

01-18-2013 09:37 AM in reply to: Jeff_M

Oh, now I see.  I've got the labeling working right now.  Thanks for the help.

Going back to the original question (Can Analyze, Inquiry, Area be set to display acres?), is the final answer no, it cannot be done?

*Expert Elite*
Jeff_M
Message 7 of 7 (2,250 Views)

01-18-2013 09:59 AM in reply to: bcollins

Correct, AutoCAD's Area command lists the area in current dwg units only. 

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Civil 3D Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for AutoCAD Civil 3D helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Civil 3D

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs