Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

another graphics card question

23 REPLIES 23
Message 1 of 24
bf
Advocate
797 Views, 23 Replies

another graphics card question

When deciding on graphics cards, what is considered graphic intensive?  I build surfaces and do pipe networks.  I'm not thinking that's intensive.

23 REPLIES 23
Message 21 of 24
bf
Advocate
in reply to: Anonymous

I had emailed the video card manufacturer and they responded saying there is a difference in the type of card needed for 3d design and 3d in a gaming environment.  Both will work but the Quadro is better suited for cad work.  I haven't had any problems with the graphics card not handling the program.  The Xi guys said a new 2GB Quadro 2000 was coming out and should be available now.  Wouldn't hurt to contact the video card makers.  They'll be glad to give you some direction.

Message 22 of 24
autoMick
in reply to: Anonymous

I notice you're considering 128Gb for your system SSD - have a good look at this and see if it is enough. My 256Gb system SSD currently has 80Gb free - and that is just a modest selection of programs. All data, downloads, desktop file, etc. are all on the HDD.

Regarding graphics card: 

• apparently quadro = accuracy, but gtx will be quicker. What is most important to you?
  • I'm not sure what you mean about handling viewports? editing within a viewport?
  • There's no appreciable difference between the GTX670 and 680. I have both (on 2 computers of almost identical spec). Out of the two I'd go for the 670 - it has lower power consumption and is cheaper.
  • If you buy a GTX670 and it doesn't do what you want, it would be easy to resell.

Cheers

- Mick

Civil3d user in Australia since 2012.
Message 23 of 24
neilyj666
in reply to: autoMick

I'd agree with this - the IDSP 2014 is a 45GB download

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 24 of 24
Anonymous
in reply to: neilyj666

Thanks for your answer

128Gb ssd it's enough for me. Now I have a 120Gb and around 50Gb free space. I will buy in couple of month  another 128Gb for data and maybe some programs that will not fit on the first ssd; all other data will be on a hdd.

My problem with my actual system is that I have a lot of layouts and in every layout I have 10-12 viewports.

Regen or switching from model to viewport or from one viewport to another it’s a nigthmare. I know this is also a workflow problem and I’m triyng to learn as much as I can to improve my workflow but I also want to improve my computer performance.

GTX=speed – probably this is the best for me

QUADRO=accuracy – to be honest I do not understand what "accuracy" means and if will help me or not

Thanks again for your answers and for your time

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report