Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

annotating lines in inches

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
spgwins
2035 Views, 4 Replies

annotating lines in inches

I have a drawing that was created in engineering units, the architect needs buildings dimensioned to the nearest 1/2". I copied the building footprint, scaled it up a factor of twelve and changed the units to inches, the dimension styles to inches, but i cannot get the dimension tool to show inches (only tenths of foot. Is there an easy solution I'm overlooking?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
jmayo-EE
in reply to: spgwins

Another method is to leave your file eng units and make a dimension style that scales the measurement to inches. Simply add a scale factor of 12 to the Primary Units tab of any dimension style. Save the dimstyle to your template and this can be a bit less work.

If you must scale it for the arch then open the file you saved with the scaled bld. Confirm the scale operation with the distance command. If this is off check the Units command. Since you scaled the building up you need Archtectural set. Make sure the dimension style's Unit Format is set to Architectural and the scale factor is 1.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: jmayo-EE

I ditto that

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 4 of 5
jmayo-EE
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Of course if you opened Acad with an arch dwg and xref in your engineering dwg AutoCAD can also automatically scale the file if insunits and it's associated commands are all set properly. Just one more way to mess things up. 🙂

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 5 of 5
Sinc
in reply to: jmayo-EE

In case John's response was a bit vague, here's an image:

ArchieDims.png

In general, you DO NOT want to work in Architectural units in C3D (in other words, leave all your drawing settings set to Feet/Meters, and DO NOT change the UNITS).  Instead, use the trick above to create a Dimstyle that labels what you want.

Of course, this only works with Dimstyles, and we're still missing a way to do something similar with C3D Styles (such as labeling a volume surface in fractions of an inch), but C3D is still a work-in-progress with much left to do...

Sinc

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report