Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.adf Files

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
-dcs-
3257 Views, 5 Replies

.adf Files

I use C3D 2007.  I received a large number of files from the local government to incorporate into a presentation that my firm is putting together for a project.  They sent me orthos of the site that we are working on, except they are all adf files.  I've searched the forum and found some info about creating DEM out of them, using raster data connect, creating a surface and defining the adf file as a dem, etc.  I am having no luck getting these into something that I can use.  When I connect using raster data I get two error messages, "Fail to get image information" and "Failed to open FDO connection".  I understand that it's ArcGIS and understand what these files are, but how can I use them?  I only have one file in the bunch that's not an adf file, it's ovr, which from what I've read is an "overlay" file.  Any ideas?  Do I need to get them to convert it to something else?  Has anyone ever heard of and image that's a shape file?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
TerryDotson
in reply to: -dcs-

These packages have a collection of files, the largest ADF contains the data.  They are in lat/long so they must be projected to your current state plane drawing.  I believe newer versions of Civil3D may handle these.

For your C3D 2007, take a look at MapWorks Surfaces which will import the ADF files.

Message 3 of 6
Murph_Map

The adf format is a group of files that need to be in their own folder, if you have mulitple adf files that make up mulitple grid/rasters then you need to seperate the files into their own folders each folder/direcory containing the files that make up that grid raster.

Sounds to me like you saved all the files into one folder or who ever sent them to you placed them all in one folder. Can you post a screen shot of the files names?

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 4 of 6
-dcs-
in reply to: Murph_Map

Well, I was able to find a work around.  I used nconemap to pull the orthos and was able to use these just fine.  Unfortunately the files that I was sent are newer images, so it'd be nice to be able use those.  Attached is a document file that contains images of the file structure and names.

Main file labeled clip_2009

clip_2009.JPG

subfolder labeled clip_2009

clip_2009--clip_2009.JPG

Subfolder labeled clip_2009c1

clip_2009--clip_2009c1.JPG

subfolder labeled clip_2009c2

clip_2009--clip_2009c2.JPG

last file clip_2009c3

clip_2009--clip_2009c3.JPG

Thoughts?  I did try to isolate only the largest files and use them but still received the same message as stated in my orig. post.  Thanks guys. 

*ADD - I do know that three of those subfolders represents an individual grid and the ortho assigned to it...the subfolder clip_2009 with 4 files, I don't have a clue.

Message 5 of 6
Murph_Map

I can't recall if 2007 version could use the adf format. However all you should need to do is use data connect and select the Raster/surface provider and then browse to the files and select the w001000.adf file as long as the rest of the files are in that folder.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 6 of 6
-dcs-
in reply to: Murph_Map

Tried selecting only the single file and still received the message.  I suppose that 2007 can't use the adf format...-sigh-  Thanks anyways.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report