Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

adding objects next to corridor surface

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
mpryor433
258 Views, 4 Replies

adding objects next to corridor surface

I created a surface from a corridor. I then added contours to the surface to fill in the areas between the streets. The TIN doesn't necessarily follow the corridor anymore, they go over to the adjacent contours. I know I can swap edges or add lines, but that's a lot of work. I tried using maximum triangle lengths the same (and even less than) the corridor frequencies (10), but that didn't do anything. How do you keep this from happening?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
wfberry
in reply to: mpryor433

From what I gather you are starting with a corridor surface and going from there.  I may not have this perfect but here is what I do.

1.  Start with a new surface (Nothing in there.) FG (Final Grade)

2.  Paste your EG (existing ground) surface into the new surface.

3.  Paste your corridor surface into the above.

4.  From here on it depends on a lot of things.  You may have a channel or a large ditch.

(Perhaphs add break lines for your previously mentioned areas between streets.)

Remember that the last Paste takes precedence so make sure you have that surface with the proper boundary.

When you are complete you should have two surfaces that you can compare for a quick volume surface calc.

EG to FG

Bill

Message 3 of 5
mpryor433

Thanks for the response. I see what you mean about the last paste is what takes precidence, but when I paste the corridor surface, it triangulates between the streets, even though the corridor surface doesn't. If I then add the polyline contours, I'm back where I started, the TIN on the edges of the corridor gets messed up.

(Since my surface doesn't tie into existing ground - it's a smaller piece of a very large surface -, I tried it both with and without pasting the existing into the new surface the way you described, but neither way seems to make a difference)

It's looking like if I create the corridor surface using feature lines for the outside edge of the assemblies, it works ok. The only problem with that is it doesn't look like you can if the UrbanSidewalk subassembly is on the outside of the assembly. The help diagram says there should be a P4 code, but it's not availble. I Used a different subassembly for the "outside boulevard" part and got it to behave, but now I have paving where there should be grass. Guess I can live with that for now.

Message 4 of 5
mathewkol

Extract a boundary for your corridor surface and use it as a breakline.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 5 of 5
mpryor433

That does work, but it looks like I'll need to modify most of my assemblies. The code I'm looking for isn't in the list unless I use something besides UrbanSidewalk on the outside of the assembly.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report