Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zooming

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
DrWileFTracer
255 Views, 7 Replies

Zooming

I have a drawing created in civil 3d 2014. When I try to zoom extents, the drawing entities show up as a tiny dot along the upper right edge of my screen. I can't see anything else at any other location along the edge of the screen. When I zoom out, however, a small white rectangle shows up at the lower left of the screen. I can't pick the rectangle. If I zoom in and out, the rectangle stays the same size. What is this rectangle and how can I get rid of it and be able to zoom extents properly.

Thanks very much

Wil

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Jeff_M
in reply to: DrWileFTracer

I'll bet that small rectangle is related to this: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D-General/Small-White-Rectangle-at-Origin/td-p/4942870/...

I'd also wager that it is not what is affecting the Zoom Extents. Is it possible to post your drawing?

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 3 of 8

Thanks for the response.

I read the posts on the web page you directed me to. "Profiles" was mentioned in one of them so I tried deleting the profiles I generated. When the profiles were gone I could zoom extents and there was no longer any rectangle. I created the profiles again and the rectangle is back and , as before, I cannot zoom extents. I'm going to keep looking into this. Hopefully I'll figure something out.

Thanks

Wilf Carter

ABL Environmental Consultants Limited
102 Portland Street
Dartmouth, NS
Canada B2Y 1H8
Email: wcarter@ablenvironmental.com
Tel: (902) 466-0050 ext 111
Fax: (902) 469-4399
Message 4 of 8
doni49

As Jeff already requested, is there any chance of posting the dwg file?

But where are you talking about doing this?  In the model tab or a layout? 

If on a layout tab, are you zooming in one of the viewports or or are you in paperspace?

Regardless of where you are, do your zoom extents.  Then use your mouse wheel to scroll out a little more.  Now use your mouse to select EVERYTHING on your screen -- do it with a crossing window as opposed to a regular window from one corner of the drawing area to the other.  You should see some element grips.  Are there any grips "way out yonder"?  If so, you just found the element(s) that's pulling your zoom.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 5 of 8
Jeff_M

If you could post a small drawing showing this I'm sure we'd get it figured out quickly.
Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 6 of 8

I've attached the file. After deleting the profile views and finding that the zoom extents worked properly, I assumed it was a bug in the profiles portion of the software. I created the profile views again and was faced with the same problem. Following a suggestion, I typed "pdptype". The point style in the upper left corner was already highlighted (the point represented by just a simple dot). I picked that same one and hit ok. I then zoomed extents and the white rectangle was gone and the drawing was no longer a tiny spec at the upper right edge of the screen. The drawing did, however, display at the right of the screen and although it wasn't tiny, it was still smaller than it should be. That's as far as I've gotten to this point. If anyone finds anything more to add, or possibly a solution, I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks

Wil

Message 7 of 8
doni49

I've downloaded and opened your file (using 2014) and do not experience this issue.  You've noted that it only happens after you recreate your profile.  What exactly are the steps that you use to do this?

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 8 of 8
DrWileFTracer
in reply to: doni49

I'm picking "Create Multiple Profile Views" from the drop down
Then I select the alignment, give the alignment a name, choose a profile view style (one I created) and choose the layer
I then make the length of each view 180m
Next I select a band style (also one I created)
Then I enter the max. number of views in a row and the space between the rows
I leave all the other default values as they are.

Another person in my office opened the drawing and tried zooming extents. He did not get the rectangle but the drawing did appear as a dot, just not at the top right edge of the screen - it was closer to the center, but still to the right.

As the drawing stands right now, if I zoom extents, the drawing appears toward the upper right corner of the screen - much larger than at first. If I repeat zoom extents a number of times in a row, the drawing will move further and further to the right a bit at a time each time I do it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report