Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XRef'ed Parcel labels gone?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
760 Views, 5 Replies

XRef'ed Parcel labels gone?

C3D2010, SP1

Created drawing with my parcels, the only thing in this dwg is 1 Dref'ed
alignment under Siteless alignments, 7 parcels all in one site with
associated area labels. That's it

In my Final Map drawing I have Xref'ed the Parcels dwg. I added all line &
curve labels. Looked just fine. Added some linework for odd "spanning"
labels. Added a label for the Alignment name. Ribbon quits working. Save
dwg's, close C3D, restart C3D, reopen the Final Map dwg, Xref loads and
shows parcels. ALL labels placed on the Xref'ed parcel lines are gone, only
one of these was in a dragged state, some were flipped and/or reversed. Some
were Parcel Line labels, others were General Labels.. All labels placed on
the added linework remain.

Now what? Are they truly gone? (Not that big of a deal on this little
project, I'm going to add the labels to the parent drawing.) What happened
to them? Isn't this how I've been using labels? (Yes, that's exactly how I
did my last map....but it is still in 2009.)

Any insight will be appreciated,
Jeff
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Sinc
in reply to: Anonymous

We had the same problem in 2009, where everything would be fine. Then one day, we would open the drawing, and POOF! No more labels on XREF linework.

We couldn't ever figure it out, and after seeing it a number of times, we had to stop using the "label XREF linework" feature. Even though it can be really handy, it was flat-out too unreliable. I was hoping this issue had been resolved in 2010.

-- Sinc
http://www.ejsurveying.com
http://www.quuxsoft.com
Sinc
Message 3 of 6
Mark_Castle
in reply to: Sinc

I realize this thread is almost 3 years old, but is there any update on this issue? We're still using Civil 3D 2010, and I just had an instance where some, but not all, of my parcel area labels disappeared. Has this been resolved in newer versions? We've been maintaining a master drawing containing existing parcels for our roadway projects. The parcel information (owner name, parcel address, tax ID, etc.) needs to be shown on several different sheet series in our plans, and it's been real handy to xref the parcel drawing into the sheet drawings and then place area labels wherever we need them.
Mark Castle
Win 10 64-Bit, Thinkpad P50
16 GB RAM; Core i7-6820HQ; Quadro M1000M
Message 4 of 6
Jeff_M
in reply to: Mark_Castle

I never did figure out what caused that. Crazy thing was that I only ran into this issue on 2 projects, where I could not see the labels when opened on any PC in my office. But when I sent the files for others to see what I was, they thought I was nuts because the labels all showed up fine for them. Since moving to C3D2012 last year I have not had this problem...but I never thought to check if that original dwg would now work correctly in 2012. (That project died before completion due to the client filing bankruptcy.) So I just found the file that would not show the labels, loaded it into 2012...all those labels that 2010 refused to display now show up fine.

So I guess that's some almost scientific proof that whatever was broke is now fixed. Smiley Wink Not that it does much good if you are still stuck with 2010, other than give you some ammunition to fight for an upgrade.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 5 of 6
Mark_Castle
in reply to: Jeff_M

Jeff,

Thanks for the update. I believe we are going to upgrade, but I think it will coincide with new hardware and upgrading the OS (we're still on XP), so I'm not sure what the timing is. In the meantime I'll just try to keep track of the labels and make sure none "disappear".

Mark Castle
Win 10 64-Bit, Thinkpad P50
16 GB RAM; Core i7-6820HQ; Quadro M1000M
Message 6 of 6
Sinc
in reply to: Mark_Castle

Just keep in mind that most of that extra information will get lost if you ever have to edit your Parcels.  As opposed to Map 3D topolgies, here's no "centroid" concept in Civil 3D Parcels, so editing Parcels can cause them to "forget" lots of useful data.  Very annoying, when the problem affects you.  But there ARE situations where you don't really hit it, and can get by OK.  Luck of the draw, I suppose.

Sinc

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report