Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XREFs saving themselves "behind the scenes"

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
cwelkusl
1458 Views, 7 Replies

XREFs saving themselves "behind the scenes"

Just wondering if anyone else has come across this, but lately we've noticed an issue that sometimes occurs in our office.  While working in a drawing xrefs that are attached to that drawing are getting saved "behind the scenes" by AutoCAD.

Specifically one instance was a user changed his working annotative scale while in model space, and this caused all of the attached xrefs to re-save themselves (you could watch the files update in Windows Explorer).  He did not save the drawing he was in, just changed the annotative scale.  This is worrisome in that we are still between 2011 and 2012 on some projects and I'm worried that a user opens a drawing from a 2011 project in 2012 to look at something and in the background even though he doesn't save that drawing, the base xrefs will get updated to 2012, forcing an unplanned version upgrade for Civil 3D objects.

Anyone else witnessed this or can explain this behaviour?

Chris Welk
Urban Systems Ltd.
Engineering Technologist (Civil)/CADD Applications Developer
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

It's a known "feature" but I haven't seen it documented. If you have an xref attached that contains annotative features and the "Automcatically add scales to annotative objects..." option is turned on those scales will automatically propogate to xrefs (and saved) that are not set to readonly if the scale in the active file is changed.

Mike Robertson
FL. Dept. of Transportation
CADD Applications Developer
Message 3 of 8

Thanks Mike!  I was able to recreate it as you described.  At least I know what to warn users about now to avoid the issue.

Chris Welk

Urban Systems Ltd.

Chris Welk
Urban Systems Ltd.
Engineering Technologist (Civil)/CADD Applications Developer
Message 4 of 8
Neilw_05
in reply to: cwelkusl

This behavior is downright dangerous and should be addressed immediately. Has anyone notified support about it?

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 5 of 8
sboon
in reply to: Neilw_05

I've seen this also - and blamed other users, the IT department, Windows, Novell, the virus scanning software and who knows what all else for messing up drawing files because there was supposedly no way that the AutoCAD software should be doing it.  I couldn't even guess how much time and money we've spent trying to diagnose what was going on.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 6 of 8
civilman1957
in reply to: cwelkusl

We just figured the problem out we were having, thanks to mike's solution (well done, Sir). What maniacal egg-headed little communist figured THAT was a good thing to stick in there? You kidding me?

Cad Manager/Senior Engineering Technician
Autodesk Certified Professional

Intel(R) Core (TM) i7-7700 CPU
3.60 GHz/24 GB BEAST
Civil 3D 2013/2014/2017/2018/2020
Message 7 of 8
Neilw_05
in reply to: civilman1957

Actually it's not a bad feature. It just needs a safety feature to prevent unwanted updates.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 8 of 8
civilman1957
in reply to: Neilw_05

Perhaps...but an undocumented feature can't be utilized, and can get in the way...witnessed above...

Cad Manager/Senior Engineering Technician
Autodesk Certified Professional

Intel(R) Core (TM) i7-7700 CPU
3.60 GHz/24 GB BEAST
Civil 3D 2013/2014/2017/2018/2020

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report