Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Working with discontinuous profiles

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
ltmullen
1399 Views, 8 Replies

Working with discontinuous profiles

I'm making a profile for a roadway edge of metal and I want there to be some discontinuities along the way where other roads intersect the road I'm profiling. I first made a profile by entering data in tabularly, and then I deleted some of the tangents.

Now I want to be able to pull up the profile grid view with all of the PVIs, but the table doesn't show anything past the first discontinuity. But when I select the profile, the whole thing appears to be selected (even after the first discontinuity), and if I try to select the area past the first discontinuity, I just get the same result when I bring up the profile grid view.

Is there any way I can get profile grid view to show up for the whole profile and not just the first segment?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
sboon
in reply to: ltmullen

While you can create a profile or an alignment with breaks in it you unfortunately cannot really use them for design.  The software will not label them or use them for corridors, targets etc.  In this case you can make several profiles and use all of them for your corridor targets.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 3 of 9
ltmullen
in reply to: sboon

So is there a way to explode my current profile into multiple profiles?

Message 4 of 9
sboon

No but if you edit the current profile there is an option on the toolbar to make copies of it, including by station range.  Use that and then delete the excess pieces from each copy.

Edit - The command only works for that part of the profile that the software recognizes.  You'll have to make a copy, edit the original to delete some segments and then make another copy etc.

Steve

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 5 of 9
ltmullen

Is there a way to reconnect the pieces of my profile so that I can view all the data in profile grid view again? Even when I try to reconnect the pieces, still only the data for what was the first part is showing up.

Message 6 of 9
sboon

Are you trying to connect discontinuous parts of a single profile, or parts of two separate profiles?

Steve

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 7 of 9
castled071049

I would create one continuous profile in one profile view (or multiple views if needed) indicating with dimensions, or text, where breaks will occur due to intersections, driveways, etc.  Have done this several times with no onfusion or problems. 

Message 8 of 9
ltmullen

The former. It wasn't working when I tried drawing tangents in the gaps, but I got it to work by using the grips with the existing PVIs. The only problem then was that my PVIs were a little messed up then at these spots, but it at least let me get all the data in the profile grid view with just a few spots where it needed fixing. Now I can work with the data in Excel and I'm going to import it back in to create separate profiles.

Message 9 of 9
david.zavislan

You can leave it as a single profile and use the CONVERTLINEWORKTOMASKBLOCK command to mask out the portions that you do not want to see in the profile view.  The CONVERTLINEWORKTOMASKBLOCK converts a closed polyline to a mask block that will hide most items in a profile view. 

Mask blocks are not dynamic and will need to be manually moved, edited, or recreated if the underlying geometry changes.

Other commands that work on mask blocks include: 

MASKATTACH – This command lets you add more AEC objects to be masked to an existing mask block reference.

MASKDETACH – This command will remove selected AEC objects from the mask block reference.

MASKPROFILEEDIT – This command will allow you to grip edit and modify the boundary of an existing mask block entity.

David Zavislan, P.E. | Wood Rodgers, Inc.
Tags (1)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report