Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Working with AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013 Service Pack 1

28 REPLIES 28
SOLVED
Message 1 of 29
01rs25subaru
3221 Views, 28 Replies

Working with AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013 Service Pack 1

I seem to be having some issues with AutoCAD Civil 3d 2013... My drawing files are getting larger and larger in size (eg. a 437kb file turned 14mb file when I pasted something in).. I have single drawings with mimimal linework/no blocks/nothing xreffed into the drawing... All that I have done is copied and pasted from another drawing. The items that I copied are created by me in the source drawing... 

I am running into a wall with this; there are several other people in my office that has the same issue... I have ran purge all/-Purge/Audit/I have my current graphics driver... I am really not sure on what is going on... this only started when I went to 2013; 2011 and 2012 never had this problem... I have spent hours researching and trying to fix this and have found nothing... I have also turned off my max cache also...

I do have it narrowed down to when I copy and paste something; It usually is just lines and multiline text...  

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!!! 

28 REPLIES 28
Message 2 of 29
hgohel
in reply to: 01rs25subaru

Since you have a reproducible case of this problem, I would suggest that you submit a sample drawing to Autodesk Subscription/Technical Support and have us investigate it.

Does this happen with drawings migrated from previous versions only?  I would suggest starting a new drawing in C3D 2013 and see if you can reproduce the problem.

Himanshu Gohel
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 29
01rs25subaru
in reply to: hgohel

It happens when I copy and paste a line or piece of text from one open drawing of 2013 to another drawing in 2013... It happens in every drawing that I touch now so yes It is very easy to recreate... there are several other people in my office that has the same issue... When a drawing goes from under a meg of size to over 20 meg in size; there is a problem...  I start with the acad.dwt local template without any layers or styles embedded into the drawing, once I paste anything in from another drawing, it goes haywire... even worse is that I can erase everything in the drawing/purge everything and still have a 15meg file... I just had a drawing jump from 19 meg to over 28 meg in less in a minute due to pasting in a piece of text from a basic detail...

Message 4 of 29
hgohel

The subject seems to indicate this is a problem with SP1 for C3D 2013.  Can you clarify if you had this problem before installing SP1, or only after installing SP1?

Himanshu Gohel
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 5 of 29
01rs25subaru
in reply to: hgohel

I have found a work around with this problem... I believe it is an issue with AEC components inside the drawing created... I have found over 1800 linetypes in several of my drawings; which is impossible to purge/-purge out of the drawing... even when it is blank... 

I cannot say that it was exactly a trouble with Service Pack 1; although it might be... I have had  to uninstall and reinstall autocad 3 times over the last 2 weeks due to fatal errors that were caused on the install of AutoCAD...

Everyone keeps on talking about uncertified Graphics cards; Could this be an issue with AutoCAD? I am running a Nvidia GeForce GT 630 with over 4gig of memory just on the card alone... 

I have tried to write block the entire drawing; that did not work... So I attempted to Export to DXF; which did work on some drawings and created errors on others... So as of right now, I have a 19meg drawing that I am unable to do anything with due to errors on the DXF creation... 

What exactly is the procedure on sending Autodesk a drawing with the problems? 

Message 6 of 29
Jeff_M

Can you post that drawing to a Dropbox or Autodesk360 account and share it?

There was a time that the Geographic location would get all messed up, resulting in HUGE drawing files. Try going to GeographicLocation and removing the existing one if it exists, then save the drawing, Did that help?

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 7 of 29
blanchm

Can you post some drawings that can be used to reproduce the problem? The exact steps would also help. Something like:

IIn TestDwg1 select the multiline text object and right click select Basic Modify Tools -> Copy command

Note the file size of TestDwg2

Go to TestDwg2 and click in the drawing and right click select Clipboard -> Paste

Save TestDwg2 and than check the file size.

This is basically what I did but I haven't been able to reproduce the issue. A copy of 1 of your bloated drawings would also be helpful in case we can't reproduce the problem at all.

Thanks,

Matt Blanchard

Autodesk Test Development

Message 8 of 29
01rs25subaru
in reply to: blanchm

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/21123148/BLANK.dwg

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/21123148/SITE%20PLAN.dwg

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/21123148/TEST2.dwg

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/21123148/TEST3.dwg

GIVE THESE A TRY IF THIS WORKS... 

TEST 2 AND TEST 3 ARE THE MULTILINE TEXT TESTERS... THEY SEEM TO BE FINE AT 401KB WITH A SIZE 10 PIECE OF MTEXT... 

THE BLANK AND SITE PLAN ARE BOTH BLOATED WITH AEC COMPONENTS UNABLE TO BE PURGED NO MATTER ON WHAT I DO... 

Message 9 of 29
Jeff_M

There are thousands of unnamed groups in these drawings. I ran a quick little lisp to remove them, here are the results:

BLANK.dwg : Removed 14796 unnamed groups from the drawing.

A save takes this down to a 4mb drawing (from 11mb)...which is still too big.

SITE PLAN.dwg : Removed 24082 unnamed groups from the drawing.

A save takes this down to 6mb (from 22mb), this still seems to large as well.

BTW, the 'quick' lisp actually took 1-2 minutes to run, so be patient if you try it.

Here's the lisp code...can just be copied to the command line:

(setq count 0)
(vl-load-com)
(vlax-for blk (vla-get-blocks (vla-get-activedocument (vlax-get-acad-object)))
  (if (wcmatch (vla-get-name blk) "`*A*")
    (progn
      (vla-delete blk)
      (setq count (1+ count))
      )
    )
  )
(princ (strcat "\nRemoved " (itoa count) " unnamed groups from the drawing."))

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 10 of 29
01rs25subaru
in reply to: Jeff_M

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21123148/SAWCUT%20block.dwg

This is still an issue as stated above... I really need to get this figured out...

minimal block, no dimensions, basic text and not even any hatches... ran the lisp as shown above, and still over 10mb...

So any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Message 11 of 29

Hi,

This is happening because of some Unwanted DGN styles in the drawing.

You can find more details in here

Through the Interface

I have created .NET routines to purge the files as per the code mentioned in Kean's websie.

Please find the attachments.

The dll are for AutoCAD 2012 and 2013 version.

Message 12 of 29

Works a treat, great routines. many thanks
Regards,
Alistair Clark

Message 13 of 29

Also I have purged the drawing and now it is 486kb.

See the screencast after the purge finished.

SAWCUT block.JPG

Message 14 of 29

I am not quite familiar with .Net Application extentions... How do you run the dll file in the AutoCAD Interface??? I am getting errors when running the netload command

Message 15 of 29

Hi,

First Restat Autocad and do the following.

Download the ZIP file and extract the dll file to your local drive (like C:\ or D:\ drive)

Dont save to network folder.

Then if you are using AutoCAD 2012 version load the dll from 2012 folder.

Type NETLOAD in AutoCAD and select the dll.

Then enter the command ATK-PURGE.

Type ATK-PURGE-BATCH  to purge multiple drawings without opening the files.

Message 16 of 29
Jeff_M
Message 17 of 29
Ajilal.Vijayan
in reply to: Jeff_M

Thanks Jeff.

Subaru,

Can you please follow the links provided by Jeff to see whether the downloaded dll are blocked ?

That also will cause autocad to block the dll from loading.

Message 18 of 29

Cannot load assembly. Error details: System.IO.FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly 'file:///C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013\Support\ATK-PURGE_2013\ATK-PURGE_2013.dll' or one of its dependencies. Operation is not supported. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131515)
File name: 'file:///C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013\Support\ATK-PURGE_2013\ATK-PURGE_2013.dll' ---> System.NotSupportedException: An attempt was made to load an assembly from a network location which would have caused the assembly to be sandboxed in previous versions of the .NET Framework. This release of the .NET Framework does not enable CAS policy by default, so this load may be dangerous. If this load is not intended to sandbox the assembly, please enable the loadFromRemoteSources switch. See http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=155569 for more information.
at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly._nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, RuntimeAssembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.InternalLoadAssemblyName(AssemblyName assemblyRef, Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.InternalLoadFrom(String assemblyFile, Evidence securityEvidence, Byte[] hashValue, AssemblyHashAlgorithm hashAlgorithm, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
at System.Reflection.Assembly.LoadFrom(String assemblyFile)
at Autodesk.AutoCAD.Runtime.ExtensionLoader.Load(String fileName)
at loadmgd()

This is what I am receiving every time I try to load the file, I cannot find anything blocked with the file... Fyi I am using AutoCAD Civil 3d 2013
Message 19 of 29
01rs25subaru

correction that the file was blocked on my end... I went through properties of the file before and completely missed the box on the bottom of the dialog...
Message 20 of 29
01rs25subaru

Still not working though, gives me the same error as stated above...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report