Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Working Space versus Model Space

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
brandon.nittler
416 Views, 7 Replies

Working Space versus Model Space

Trying to figure out what the difference is in the different tabs on the CAD Civil 3d 2012 program. I understand the difference between model space and paper space, but what is the new working space for (it is its own little tab at the bottom)?

Thanks in advance!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
dgordon
in reply to: brandon.nittler

workspaces provide one with a whole new set of ribbon commands.   I have to switch to a map ribbon to use the map image insert command from the ribbon because it doesn't exist in the C3D ribbon.

Dan

Civil 3D 2013
Win 7 Pro x64
Intel Xeon 2.0GHz
12Gb Ram
ATI Firepro 4800
Dell T5500
www.preinnewhof.com
Message 3 of 8
HansSMS

Workspace is the environment you set yourself up to work in, i.e all the menu items, toolbars and ribbon settings you customize for yourself. You can set up different workspaces for different types of work. Switch through the various default workspaces provided and you see what I mean. You can create your own by duplicating an existing one and tweaking it, then saving it under a different name. Workspaces have nothing to do with your model and paperspace systems you work in.

Hans Moller
Surveying & Management Services
Gladstone Australia
Metabox 16GB, Intel i7-9700K 3.6Ghz, 500GB SSD, 2TB HDD Nvidia GTX 1060
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2018
Message 4 of 8
brandon.nittler
in reply to: HansSMS

It is kind of confusing what I am getting at. Its not like a workspace that I set up for different projects, these are actually tabs located at the bottom of the screen.

In previous versions there were a couple of different tabs (or spaces) that you could work in, Model Space (tab) and Paper Space (tab).  In this version that I am now operating under they have added a third tab called "Working."

I am having trouble determining what the purpose of this tab/space is when it comes to linework.  Is there an advantage/disadvantage to using this tab for doing work? Certain scenarios that one would or wouldn't use this tab, etc...

Overall what is the prupose of the tab if I go into it?

Message 5 of 8
troma

Can you give a screen shot of this tab?  Seems like no-one knows what you're talking about.  I've never seen it, but I'm in 2011.

Is it possible that a third-party app is giving you this tab?

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 6 of 8
mathewkol

Attach an image so we can see. By your description it sounds like just another paper space layout named "Working", the purpose of which would be up to the person who created it.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 7 of 8

As already pointed out, this is either another Layout tab simply named "Working", or something that is coming from a 3rd party add-on to AutoCAD Civil 3D.

MODEL and PAPER are the only 'spaces' that come with AutoCAD-based products.

While in a Layout tab, if you double-click inside of a viewport, you are brought back into MODEL space. If you double-click outside of the viewport, you are returned to PAPER space.

Phil Borycens
Message 8 of 8

That is pretty well all I can figure. I do not know what it is, but nothing that I have seen when searching has brought up any response in answer to what this "space" is.

Appreciate the feedback.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report