Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wish List - Profiles/Sections to be dynamic to surface styles.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
theminiguy
576 Views, 8 Replies

Wish List - Profiles/Sections to be dynamic to surface styles.

I would like to propose that Profile and Section styles should be set in the Surface object properties.

Rarely would you need the same surface shown differently in different profiles or cross-sections and an override could satisfy what I believe to be the small minority who would need that functionality.

From a production standpoint it's better if the styles for profiles and sections are tied to the surface object and can be manipulated at the main object. If I'm cutting a dozen or more profiles for sections I don't want to have to remember and keep consistent the same styles for the same surfaces. Profiles and Sections are dependent children of surfaces.

I have mocked up how i think this could be delivered in the surface style dialog box.

Cheers

Paul

~~Laptop~~
Quad Core 2.3GHz Intel, 64-Bit, Win 7
16GB Ram, 2GB Graphics Card
256GB SSD

~~AU2009 Speaker~~
CV314-5: AutoCAD® Civil 3D® Design Straight Out of the Box: Going Where the Design Wizards Can't Always Go .....
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Cadguru42
in reply to: theminiguy

@theminiguy wrote:

I would like to propose that Profile and Section styles should be set in the Surface object properties.

Rarely would you need the same surface shown differently in different profiles or cross-sections and an override could satisfy what I believe to be the small minority who would need that functionality.

From a production standpoint it's better if the styles for profiles and sections are tied to the surface object and can be manipulated at the main object. If I'm cutting a dozen or more profiles for sections I don't want to have to remember and keep consistent the same styles for the same surfaces. Profiles and Sections are dependent children of surfaces.

I have mocked up how i think this could be delivered in the surface style dialog box.

Cheers

Paul

How would you handle user created profiles since they aren't tied to a surface?

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 3 of 9
theminiguy
in reply to: Cadguru42

Do you mean "Quick Profiles"? If yes, then I would suggest that it extacts what ever the profile settings are to create the static profile.

If not, can you please explain further what you are refering to, when you say "user created profiles"...

Cheers

Paul

~~Laptop~~
256GB SSD

~~AU2009 Speaker~~
CV314-5: AutoCAD® Civil 3D® Design Straight Out of the Box: Going Where the Design Wizards Can't Always Go .....
Message 4 of 9
Jeff_M

@theminiguy wrote:

Do you mean "Quick Profiles"? If yes, then I would suggest that it extacts what ever the profile settings are to create the static profile.

If not, can you please explain further what you are refering to, when you say "user created profiles"...

Cheers

Paul

My first thought is Design Profiles. These have no surface associated to them.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 5 of 9
theminiguy
in reply to: Jeff_M

Ahh..

Ok, Currently in the setting for creating a user defined profile I have an "Editing" style, to allow me to manage my corridor designs. From my corridor designs i create my surfaces, and then create production drawings down stream that i data shortcut my surfaces into.

Cheers

Paul

~~Laptop~~
256GB SSD

~~AU2009 Speaker~~
Message 6 of 9
Cadguru42

@theminiguy wrote:

Ahh..

Ok, Currently in the setting for creating a user defined profile I have an "Editing" style, to allow me to manage my corridor designs. From my corridor designs i create my surfaces, and then create production drawings down stream that i data shortcut my surfaces into.

Cheers

Paul

So a designed profile is tied to the corridor? I'm confused as a style is just how an object looks. If profiles are tied to surfaces, then I still don't see how a design (user created) profile would work. You can't create a corridor without a profile, so if you're using your corridor surface to get a profile then you have a chicken before the egg problem. 

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 7 of 9
ccoles
in reply to: Cadguru42

Also, just to extend on the thought, referencing the resultant corridor surface to show your profile would not be the same as the design profile. The corridor, by function, may or may not break at a design profile PVI (this is controlled with the corridor settings) and will not show a true vertical curve, since the corridor approximates the vertical curve based on the sampling intervals and will tesselate at all horizontal and vertical curves. This will make labeling vertical curves in the profile view extremely difficult if based on the corridor surface.

Windows 7 64-bit
Dell Precision T5610, Dual-Xeon 2.6Ghz, 16 Gig RAM
Civil 3D 2013
Message 8 of 9
mathewkol

Well thought out wish Paul. I think there would be a use for this.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 9 of 9
theminiguy
in reply to: ccoles

I see what you saying. I agree if you only want the IP, curve and straight lengths/grades shown you need to use the design profile in production.

I am not proposing to remove Profile/Section Styles; but make the use of any profile cut of a surface to be managed at a parent level - the surface style which is just setting (or not if you dont want it) what the child Profile/Section style is...

Cheers

Paul

~~Laptop~~
256GB SSD

~~AU2009 Speaker~~

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report