Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wipeout Woes

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
308 Views, 5 Replies

Wipeout Woes

In Civil 3D 2007 - SP3 I'm creating a template containing blocks that have wipeouts in them. I'm turning the blocks into point styles and running into wierdness.

Bottom line is, when I let Civil 3D place these blocks via point creation, it is kind of a crap-shoot as far as whether or not their draw order is above or below existing polylines. In some cases the wipeout in the block sneaks to the front and wipesout more than it is supposed to!

Is there a slick way to force C3D to honor the wipeout's draw order in the block definition, while forcing the block itself to be in front on point placement?

Your input and/or sympathy is much appreciated.
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

What I do is go into the block editor, copy everything BUT the wipeout from
0,0 to 0,0 then erase previous. This means that the newest objects are on
top of the wipeout regardless of the draworder.

Doesn't work all the time, but most always.

Matt
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

When you click on one point and bring it to the front, the whole point group is brought to the front. It is therefore gernerallty quite easy to bring all the points to the front by selecting only one point of each point group.
Message 4 of 6
Sinc

That's not the issue.

The problem is that the draw order of objects in block definitions is not honored when new instances of the block are inserted in a drawing. Instead, the new instances of the block will contain linework arranged in the order it was originally created. This is a bug in the program, and is particularly noticeable when you put wipeouts inside of block definitions.

It's annoying, but it can be worked-around as stated - by creating the linework in your block definition, then creating the wipeout, then copying all the linework in the definition and deleting the original linework. In effect, you draw the wipeout first. This causes all blocks created from the block definition to have the wipeout behind the other linework in the block.
Sinc
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

Matt's suggestion has been extremely helpful. So far it seems to be working well! Redefining all the blocks will be tedious, but once its done they are going straight to a template.

Thanks!

Wipeouts are weird beasts. Have you ever noticed that they appear as raster images when you go to properties? No wonder they are quirky.
Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

Sorry, I am just using a simple wipout (circle) as a point symbol, with no further linework inside that block. So I just need to get my points above the other linework to visually trim the linework back to the circle. This idea won't work in Louisa's case obviously.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report