Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Media Center Edition

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
kevincurrey
101 Views, 3 Replies

Windows Media Center Edition

Well, I feel pretty embarrassed to be asking this, but how do y'all feel about running AutoCAD on a computer with windows media center? My boss picked up a new computer yesterday that's got media center loaded. My first reaction was "take it back and get a real computer," but now I'm not so sure. The thing is, it's really a lot of computer for the price, and this is going to be used by a couple of part-time drafters, so we were going more for budget than for speed anyway. Here are the specs:

Intel P4 3.0Ghz, 800 MHz bus speed, 2mb l2 cache
1 GB DDR2-SDRAM @ 400 MHz
250 GB SATA-150 HD, 7200 RPM
Video is on motherboard, Intel Graphics Media Accelerator, 128 MB shared video ram
Then of course Win XP Media Center 2005, and a whole bunch of other software that will be coming off if we decide to keep it.

All of this for under $800, and the brand by the way is HP.

Like I said, I'm almost embarrassed to bring it up here, but I guess I'm looking to see if anyone has done this and had acceptable results. For the rest of you... just try to keep the profanity to a minimum 🙂

Thanks,

Kevin
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: kevincurrey

Just use it, what the heck. Sure you can build monster workstations
like I do, but they are built around haveing 3 and 4 monitors. only 1
monitor with civil 3d will suck, but hey, whatever.

kevincurrey wrote:
> Well, I feel pretty embarrassed to be asking this, but how do y'all feel about running AutoCAD on a computer with windows media center? My boss picked up a new computer yesterday that's got media center loaded. My first reaction was "take it back and get a real computer," but now I'm not so sure. The thing is, it's really a lot of computer for the price, and this is going to be used by a couple of part-time drafters, so we were going more for budget than for speed anyway. Here are the specs:
>
> Intel P4 3.0Ghz, 800 MHz bus speed, 2mb l2 cache
> 1 GB DDR2-SDRAM @ 400 MHz
> 250 GB SATA-150 HD, 7200 RPM
> Video is on motherboard, Intel Graphics Media Accelerator, 128 MB shared video ram
> Then of course Win XP Media Center 2005, and a whole bunch of other software that will be coming off if we decide to keep it.
>
> All of this for under $800, and the brand by the way is HP.
>
> Like I said, I'm almost embarrassed to bring it up here, but I guess I'm looking to see if anyone has done this and had acceptable results. For the rest of you... just try to keep the profanity to a minimum 🙂
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kevin
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous

Oh yeah, Windows media center edition is built on XP Pro, and should be
able to join domain just fine.

kevincurrey wrote:
> Well, I feel pretty embarrassed to be asking this, but how do y'all feel about running AutoCAD on a computer with windows media center? My boss picked up a new computer yesterday that's got media center loaded. My first reaction was "take it back and get a real computer," but now I'm not so sure. The thing is, it's really a lot of computer for the price, and this is going to be used by a couple of part-time drafters, so we were going more for budget than for speed anyway. Here are the specs:
>
> Video is on motherboard, Intel Graphics Media Accelerator, 128 MB shared video ram
> Then of course Win XP Media Center 2005, and a whole bunch of other software that will be coming off if we decide to keep it.
>
>
> Like I said, I'm almost embarrassed to bring it up here, but I guess I'm looking to see if anyone has done this and had acceptable results. For the rest of you... just try to keep the profanity to a minimum 🙂
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kevin
Message 4 of 4
Anonymous

I'd get a video card for that. You don't want to share the system ram
with the video. It slows the computer down. Other than that, I guess
it's ok.

Endbringer42

kevincurrey wrote:
>
>
>
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kevin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report