Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Civil 3D 2014 be released for 32 bit operating systems?

27 REPLIES 27
Message 1 of 28
shane_ororke
9637 Views, 27 Replies

Will Civil 3D 2014 be released for 32 bit operating systems?

I note with great concern that the 32 bit version is 'Not Supported'.

Is it intended to be?  AutoCAD 2014 is supported on 32 bit and 64 bit operating systems.  

There are a number of organisations that aren't in a position to change over their hardware across the orgnaisation on the basis of Civil 3D 2014 requiring it.

27 REPLIES 27
Message 2 of 28
Neilw_05
in reply to: shane_ororke

Like it or not, it's the end of the line for 32 bit C3D. You will be able to open 2014 files in 2013 32 bit. After this year, who knows?

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 3 of 28
shane_ororke
in reply to: Neilw_05

I find it to be a bit inconsistent that Autodesk haven't treated their AutoCAD users the same way.

Thanks for your perspective.

Message 4 of 28
antoniovinci

Dear Shane,

if you have 7000 $ to buy C3D 2014, you can easily find +1000 to afford a brand new x64 pc, trust me...

Message 5 of 28
neilyj666

From what I've read and gleaned from various blogs etc, there doesn't seem to be any great advantage to using 2014.
If you are buying new then you don't have a lot of choice unless you can find an earlier version somewhere

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 6 of 28
Murph_Map
in reply to: neilyj666

You know what amazes me is questions like these, "Can I run the newest and lastest version on my old outdated PC" then the ones that ask "How can I install R12 on my new PC with Windows 8 and 64 bit OS".  Sort like I got a new side by side refrigerator but it doesn't fit in the kicthen so I leave it on the front porch. Or I got this new big house and yard but have no lawn mower to keep the yard looking nice.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 7 of 28
rl_jackson
in reply to: Murph_Map

L***O Smiley Very Happy

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 28
rkmcswain
in reply to: Murph_Map

@Anonymous wrote:

You know what amazes me is questions like these, "Can I run the newest and lastest version on my old outdated PC" then the ones that ask "How can I install R12 on my new PC with Windows 8 and 64 bit OS".  Sort like I got a new side by side refrigerator but it doesn't fit in the kicthen so I leave it on the front porch. Or I got this new big house and yard but have no lawn mower to keep the yard looking nice.

"I want to start a moving business, let me go out and buy a new Prius."

"Hey Toyota, why can't I haul a lot of furniture and boxes in this car?"

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 9 of 28
troma
in reply to: antoniovinci

@antoniovinci wrote:

Dear Shane,

if you have 7000 $ to buy C3D 2014, you can easily find +1000 to afford a brand new x64 pc, trust me...

The issue at hand may not be $ (or € or £ as the case may be).  For example, here in my office there are some running an old survey package that won't run on 64 bit.  Of course, the solution for us is to stick with 2013 until they get new software, or maintain a couple of old machines for the survey package and update the workstation to a 64 bit machine.  I'm not saying that we shouldn't update.  (Anyone working on a 16 bit machine?)  Just saying that the attachment to 32 bit or any other configuration may not be merely material.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 10 of 28
dgorsman
in reply to: rkmcswain

I've got a water-cooled, overclocked gaming rig @ 6.2 GHz with 2GB RAM.  Why do my models keep crashing?  *chuckle*

In short (and its becoming a mantra for me), the end result is from the system working together - hardware, OS, software, meatware, and work process.  Making everything bleeding edge then putting in a bottleneck at one point will render the rest irrelevant.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 11 of 28
Neilw_05

As most of us know, to run efficiently, Civil 3D requires more memory resources than a 32 bit OS can support. Now that Windows XP is on it's last year it's time to start thinking about upgrading to a 64 bit OS anyway. It's the end of an era.

Having to upgrade hardware has been an obstacle to implementing C3D for many companies, but since everyone  is following the piper, the subscription/upgrade path is the only way to survive.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 12 of 28
troma

What am I doing all day then? Being inefficient I guess. Some of us will be waiting longer than others for the new era to begin.

Mark Green

Message 13 of 28
Neilw_05
in reply to: troma

We're still on LDT 2004 here. I believe there are some companies still on ACAD 14. I don't know how they find anyone to work for them. I don't know if my company will find anyone either if one of us leaves.

Frankly I don't know how anyone manages to run C3D in a 32 bit OS. After all the crashes and performance problems I gave up on that long ago.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 14 of 28
shane_ororke

Many of our customers work for government/council organisations and the rollout of new operating systems happens over a long cycle.  Unfortunately that means that these organisations can't use the latest software from Autodesk, if they're wanting to use Civil 3D.  

I understand everyone's analogies and criticisms about being 'bleeding edge' on an old platform - I just found it inconsistent that AutoCAD and AutoCAD Map both support 32bit but Civil 3D can't/won't, and was wondering if anyone knew why it isn't supported on 32bit and if a 32bit version was likely to come.

Message 15 of 28
neilyj666

more likely to get a bug free version of Civil 3D than a new 32 bit version...!!!

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 16 of 28
Neilw_05

I expect that most companies and agencies that are using XP will start looking at moving on as the OS will no longer be supported. I'm sure the IT consultants will be pushing for that as well.

Perhaps that will be your salvation.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 17 of 28
dgorsman

Therre may be parts of the Civil3D interface which rely on toolsets which aren't available as 32-bit versions, either due to newness or the toolset developers concentrating their resources on what they consider the majority of users (that is, not us AutoDesk product users but developers such as AutoDesk and casual programmers).

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 18 of 28
troma

You can always do what the Win8 people did with 2013: install it anyway then come on here to complain that it doesn't work! Smiley LOL  Sorry, that's a dig at them, not at you.  Although it seemed to work out for them in the end, as the last hotfix included stuff for Win8 even though it's 'not supported'.  So maybe they get the last laugh after all.

Mark Green

Message 19 of 28
Cadguru42

I can understand being concerned about losing 32bit, but on the other hand 64bit has been the recommended platform for well over 6 years. That's a long time to figure out about how to upgrade. If you haven't moved to a 64bit platform then your IT department needs to be fired. Even my government office has been upgraded to Windows 7 64bit for about 2 years while those of us in Engineering have been on 64bit since Vista. If there is some old software that isn't 64bit compatible that you're currently using then it's past time to find a newer solution. Don't let your IT department determine what you need. Your job, at the end of the day, is to design civil infrastructure projects. If you can't do that efficiently because your IT department or finance department doesn't want to let you upgrade, then there is a serious problem with the organization. They don't require you to still use a drafting table and pencils/pens, so why do the equivalent for 32bit computers?

Change is hard, especially for civil designers, but always inevitable. 

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 20 of 28
MikeEvansUK

Programming on x64 is really painful due to the lack of Edit and continue. If the software is going x64 only then I expect until e&c is available (Come on M$oft) a lot of learner programmers will just program on an older version under x86 and ignore the new API functionality or not bother. I wouldn't have learned anything without E&C, not that I really understand a lot 🙂

Only the hardened programmer will dabble with it so less tools and customisation by the user, one of the software's strong points Vs. other civil design programs.

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report