Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wiki help tutorial

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
IWantAnswers
907 Views, 12 Replies

Wiki help tutorial

Hi I've went through the Adding user defined properties to points tutorial multiple times and every time I Import the points I get an error. First I set up the point file format EXACTLY like the tutorial shows me how to do it. Then I right click points on the prospector tab and then select CREATE. I then select IMPORT POINTS. I pick manhole data in the format list and then I open Manhole_data.txt. Then when that's done I select OK so it will import them and I get a error saying "A point format must define one and only one of the local coordinates, grid coordinates or latitude/longitude for import No points were transferred from the source. I've also tried going through this tutorial off of the Points-4d.dwg file that you guys made for this tutorial and I got the same error.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
wfberry
in reply to: IWantAnswers

Post a portion of your text file (points) for a "look-see" here.  Make sure it "is" a text file.  

Bill

Message 3 of 13
IWantAnswers
in reply to: wfberry

This was pulled directly from the tutorial

Message 4 of 13
wfberry

Go to your text file, remove the first line.  No headings allowed.

Bill

Message 5 of 13
IWantAnswers

I removed the headers but the same error occurred.  

Message 6 of 13
Jeff_M

@wfberry wrote:

No headings allowed.

Bill

You sure about that Bill? Comment tags, normally the # symbol, allow a header to be present.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 7 of 13
Jeff_M

I just followed the steps outlined in the Tutorial, using the Points-4d drawing, and had no trouble importing the points. So the file is good. What happend in the PointFileFormat editor when you load and parse the txt file? It should correctly show the fields filled in.

2-13-2012 10-51-46 AM.png

EESignature
Message 8 of 13
wfberry
in reply to: Jeff_M

OK Jeff, I overlooked the # sign.

Bill

Message 9 of 13
IWantAnswers

In the pointfileformat editor I load and parse the txt file and it shows excatly like your image.  It still gives me the error when I try to actually import the points. Could it be a problem related to updates or parameter setting?

Message 10 of 13
Jeff_M

Have you installed Service Pack 1 for C3D2012? Can you post your tutorial drawing?

EESignature
Message 11 of 13
IWantAnswers

Yes I have installed service pack 1 for C3D2012 and this is the tutorial I've been working with.

Message 12 of 13
Jeff_M

OK, well I'm out of ideas. The txt file you posted imports without error into this drawing for me. Tested one more thing before sending,,, lo & behold I duplicated the error. You must have the "Do coordinate translation if possible" option checked. Uncheck it and the points will import just fine.

2-16-2012 6-18-38 AM.png

EESignature
Message 13 of 13
IWantAnswers

Yup thant was the problem thank you for your help!!!Smiley Very Happy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report