Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Width Target Assembly Stretching [ stupid question ]

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
rendarin
3802 Views, 5 Replies

Width Target Assembly Stretching [ stupid question ]

Hi guys,

I have a stupid question about width targets; I was pretty sure I had seen this in the help but for some reason I couldn't find it again.

Let's say I have an assembly called Original, as shown below with a 6m wide lane. Now I want to target it to 8m wide for some road widening. Now, will it stretch along the slope of the subassembly (Case 1) until 8m width, or will it just shift laterally to 8m (Case 2)?

I know that we can set the default slope of it, but I'm not sure if it gets overriden due to the Target-width process.

Thanks mucho 🙂

WIDTH TARGET.png

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
t_mckenzie
in reply to: rendarin

It depends on what you tell the subassembly to hold. The basic lane transition has options to; "Hold offset and elevation", "Hold elevation, change offset", "Hold grade, change offset", "Hold offset, change elevation", and "Change offset and elevation"

If you don't set targets when you tell it to change something (offset, elevation or grade) then it will use the default.

Hope this helps,

-Tucker McKenzie

Message 3 of 6
ericcollins6932

The way I figured it out was to use offset alignments. Offset your CL alignment your default 6 m on either side and you will have one centerline and two offset alignments. Click the offset alignment you want to add the widening and click add widening. The widening amount is from centerline so 8 m in your case. You can set up transition length and style (curve-line-curve or linear) however you like. Then use the transitional subassembly and set its targets to the left and right offset alignments and it will auto widen following the alignments. This keeps it dynamic. You can also use feature lines, but if you use alignments and shift the CL, your offset alignments and corridor will dynamically update.

Eric Collins, P.Tech.(Eng.)

Win 10
Intel i7 9700 @ 3 GHz
16 GB RAM
Civil 3D 2019
Message 4 of 6
rendarin
in reply to: t_mckenzie

Ahh, I see my problem. We have been using the LaneSuperElevationAOR subassembly here in the office for lanes, as it also automatically includes the sub-base and base-course layers, and LaneSuperElevationAOR doesn't have that option.

I could switch the subassembly type to BasicLaneTransition, but I've been planning on using the different layers of LaneSuperElevationAOR to compute the volume of materials needed.

However thank you very much for that insight, I was so entrenched in using that one type of subassmebly I hadn't considered the others.

Message 5 of 6
rendarin
in reply to: ericcollins6932

Hi Eric,

Thanks for that input, I've been using polylines quite a bit to often for widening roads; I hadn't really used the Widening feature before so I had totally overlooked it. thanks

Message 6 of 6
rendarin

Hey guys, thanks everybody for their time.

However I did what I should have done before (don't know why I didn't think of it) and just went ahead and modelled it in C3D.

Apparently when using the LaneSuperelavationAOR subassembly, the default is Case 1 when there is a width target (without a profile target).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report