Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Widening offset clothoid

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
martin.harlem
2262 Views, 7 Replies

Widening offset clothoid

Hi

Is it possible to make the widening get the exact offset to the spiral / clothoid. All I get is a linear line as shown in the picture.

klotoide.PNG

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

No one got a clue?

Message 3 of 8

Which version of the software are you using, and which command did you use to make the offset?

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 4 of 8

I'm using 2011

Offset alignment. Add widening (no new alignment)

Message 5 of 8

Check your offset alignment again for a couple of things.

1. The default offset widening is a linear that will cause the offset to get larger along the spiral

2. There is also a curve line curve offset that if the curve radi are small may look like a straight line.

Regards,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 6 of 8
mkt
Enthusiast
in reply to: peterfunkautodesk

Hi

I am unable to find the solution to this problem. I understand that it is mathematically impossible to offset a spiral/clothoid, but there should be a setting where you can control the length of the line segments so to approximate the offset spiral more precisely?

The result from offsetting my "line-spiral-curve-spiral-line" alignment is a "line-line-line-curve-line-line-line" which is far to few lines to approximate two ~40m long clothoids. 

Tags (1)
Message 7 of 8
mkt
Enthusiast
in reply to: mkt

Anyone?

This is still a problem in 2014. 

Message 8 of 8
mkt
Enthusiast
in reply to: mkt

I found the solution. 

Go to settings in toolspace, expand alignment -> Commands -> Right click and edit add widening. In Linear Transition Around Curves you can set number of segments and type. I've found that 10 arc segments do an OK job. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report