Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can you have only 1 inside mask

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
danelkins1533
781 Views, 15 Replies

Why can you have only 1 inside mask

So I am dref'ing a surface into my plan sheets and there are several areas where I need to hide the surface data. My plan was to use an inside surface mask but after you add 1 mask you can't add any more (inside or outside.) What Gives? Am I doing it wrong?

Anyone have any workarounds for this?

Thanks
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
jbokic
in reply to: danelkins1533

Use boundaries instead of masks. Set a polyline bigger than your surface with the boundary type set to Hide, then use polylines where you want your surface to Show through with the boundary type set to Show with the Non-Destructive Breakline option selected.
Message 3 of 16

I have the surface data ref'd into a sheet so i can't make any changes to it such as adding a boundary. To add a boundary I would need to add it in the base file which would limit me to showing the surface that way in all sheets.
Message 4 of 16
jbokic

Assuming you don't have any background imagery and can have the surface information at the back, try masking the surface with hatching at true color 255,255,255 to block out the areas you don't want to see.

Other than that, you could try having a 2nd surface in your source drawing that consists of your surface pasted in and the aformentioned masks applied.
Message 5 of 16
Anonymous

Create a new surface in the P & P dwg. Paste the DRef'ed surface into it.
Add your show/hide boundaries to the new surface. Set the original surface
to a NoSHow style.

"danelkins1533" wrote in message news:6232747@discussion.autodesk.com...
> I have the surface data ref'd into a sheet so i can't make any changes to
> it such as adding a boundary. To add a boundary I would need to add it in
> the base file which would limit me to showing the surface that way in all
> sheets.
Message 6 of 16
jbokic

Will the pasted surface still be dynamic or orphaned from the source drawing?
Message 7 of 16
Anonymous

It's all dynamic

"iconless" wrote in message news:6232829@discussion.autodesk.com...
> Will the pasted surface still be dynamic or orphaned from the source
> drawing?
Message 8 of 16

I like how that sounds -- just crazy enough to work. I will give it a try thanks.

I can't believe these would be 'intended' workflows though. Oh well hopefully stuff like this will be fixed in a few years.
Message 9 of 16
tyronebk

Have you tried using Mask Blocks (ConvertLineworkToMaskBlock)? They will hide certain types of C3D objects, sometimes with unwanted results. If you are hiding contours it's unlikely they'll work for you but elevations and slopes they probably will.

Another alternative is to make the internal masks into one large polyline mask with very small slivers connecting the areas.
Message 10 of 16
david.dixon

"Multiple Surface Inside Masks" sounds like a great wishlist item to me. I have multiple retaining walls on my current project with 1' contour lines running up the side of them that a would just love to be able to mask out using Inside masks. It would be so easy. I don't particularly care for the Hide boundary method, but it is a workaround. There are too many workarounds that I have to remember for this program. 🙂
David Dixon
Senior Civil Designer

hdrinc.com/follow-us
Message 11 of 16
Anonymous

What's wrong with Hide boundaries?

--

Matt Kolberg
GCS - A Division of Cansel

wrote in message
news:6314975@discussion.autodesk.com...
"Multiple Surface Inside Masks" sounds like a great wishlist item to me. I
have multiple retaining walls on my current project with 1' contour lines
running up the side of them that a would just love to be able to mask out
using Inside masks. It would be so easy. I don't particularly care for the
Hide boundary method, but it is a workaround. There are too many
workarounds that I have to remember for this program. 🙂
Message 12 of 16
david.dixon

Hi Matt. It's just the couple of extra steps that need to be taken. Create New Surface --> Paste Surface --> Apply Surface Hide and Show Boundaries. Simply using "Create Masks" would be so much easier.

Dave
David Dixon
Senior Civil Designer

hdrinc.com/follow-us
Message 13 of 16
david.dixon

Hi Matt. It's just the couple of extra steps that need to be taken. Create New Surface --> Paste Surface --> Apply Surface Hide and Show Boundaries. Simply using "Create Masks" would be so much easier.

Dave
David Dixon
Senior Civil Designer

hdrinc.com/follow-us
Message 14 of 16
BrianHailey

The only drawback to using hide boundaries is it messes up any volume calculations and/or profiles/sections display. A hide boundary says there is no surface there, a mask says hide the surface that is there.

Brian Hailey
http://www.cad-1.com
http://www.AtYourDeskTraining.com
http://Civil3DPlus.wordpress.com

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 15 of 16
Isaiah3015

Excellent. I have an additional issue to this. I do not want to see the area in plan but I DO want to see it in profile. Suggestions?

Communication is the key to our success.
Message 16 of 16
palabalo
in reply to: Isaiah3015

I use CONVERTLINEWORKTOMASKBLOCK command to mask a lot of my surfaces, I also create display surfaces that have hide boundaries ect and the volume calcs are done with the original surface.

If you wanted to show one in plan and one in profile, just create a new surface paste surface you want, add boundaries/mask and show that one in plan, and your orriginal in profile.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report