Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which way do we go??

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
172 Views, 9 Replies

Which way do we go??

We're looking into purchasing Land desktop and now that I have began loking into it. I'm not sure with the Civil 3D vs LD. We are currently running Field Survey, so there is no upgrading. We'd be starting from scratch with the new software and and confused abuot the entire LD vs C3D issue. If we purchased very soon. What seems to be the norm currently for firms in our situation. I was looking at purchasing LD, civil design and the Survey package. I dont want to purchase the survey package if in 9-12 months C3d comes out complete and includes all the survey function. We dont do much more than download point from our Data collector now...so having to transfer them first into a point file is no big issue for a little while. I dont really know what direction Autodesk is leading the new customers in today?
Having never worked with LD...which is the best way for us to go? We do alot of boundary, alot of flood plane work, and some subdivision work. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Chris
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Chris - Please note that my feedback is definately biased (I'm the Product Manager of Civil 3D). Do you buy Civil 3D or LDT? Key note is that Civil 3D includes a companion seat of LDT, so you have the functionality of both products. This is to help people who are transitioning from one to the other AND for those add Survey functionality (I cover this later in this response). I think you'll find the parcel analysis, layout and drafting capabilties in Civil 3D to be much easier to learn/use and will provide a better design solution than LDT. This is also the case with the Terrain Modeling. It's definatley the case with more "design" oriented tasks. I'd strongly recommend taking a good look at Civil 3D. Your best bet is to get a demo of both from a reseller. Based on the fact that you do NOT currently use Autodesk Civil Design, my guess is that you wouldn't need to add this. Civil 3D is a very close replacement to the combination of LDT and Civil Design. Survey capabilities? Civil 3D does not yet include a Survey add-on (like Autodesk Survey running on LDT). The Survey 2006 product will run on the LDT Companion that is included in Civil 3D, so it's very reasonable for you to purchase C3D and Survey 2006. We are also working with some of the equipment manufacturers to get direct communication to/from the field (more focused on GPS). Note - we recognize that we need a survey product for Civil 3D. As we've done with previous products, a transition strategy (migration plan) from old to new would be provided. Couple of other points to consider with C3D... - both LDT and C3D have similar utilities for importing/exporting points (coordinate files, LandXML) - you can easily move data back and forth between LDT and C3D Hope this helps Dave Simeone Autodesk Civil 3D Product Manager "CHRISL" wrote in message news:4816506.1111605211488.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > We're looking into purchasing Land desktop and now that I have began > loking into it. I'm not sure with the Civil 3D vs LD. We are currently > running Field Survey, so there is no upgrading. We'd be starting from > scratch with the new software and and confused abuot the entire LD vs C3D > issue. If we purchased very soon. What seems to be the norm currently for > firms in our situation. I was looking at purchasing LD, civil design and > the Survey package. I dont want to purchase the survey package if in 9-12 > months C3d comes out complete and includes all the survey function. We > dont do much more than download point from our Data collector now...so > having to transfer them first into a point file is no big issue for a > little while. I dont really know what direction Autodesk is leading the > new customers in today? > Having never worked with LD...which is the best way for us to go? We do > alot of boundary, alot of flood plane work, and some subdivision work. Any > help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated > Thanks > Chris
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous

DAVE.
Thanks for getting back to me
what we need is the ability to in general, cut profiles, cross sections, street alignments, and a good surface/contour program since we are very disapointed with Field Survey handling of sufaces and contouring. We need the ability to output simple boundary surveys (lines,lengths,bearings, offset distsancesto buildings, fences, ect) to full subdivision plats. I am hoping the hyrdo side of C3d gets around to being completed since that would be a big plus for us since we do alot of flood plane work So will the Civil 3D pro with the LD seat cover evertyhing I have stated above without the survey mod?
Another question, how is autodesk going to cover the upgrade from the civil 3d w/ LD to the full seperate running Civil 3D when its completed? Are we going to have to shell out more money to get that? will it be part of a subscription?
Thanks
chris
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous

Hey Chris; Along with getting the demo from the reseller, I would also encourage you to peruse the archives of the Civil 3D webcasts found here... http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=3856538 You can get an Executive Summary of the ones that you may be more interested in by checking the Thread entitled "Webcasts" posted 1:52am on 18MAR2005. HTH -- Don Reichle "King Of Work-Arounds" LDT3 - SP1/CD3 - SP1 On WINXP SP2 Dell 3.0 Ghz P4 Intel 1.0GB RAM Radeon X300 128MB PCI "CHRISL" wrote in message news:18690669.1111613939039.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > DAVE. > Thanks for getting back to me > what we need is the ability to in general, cut profiles, cross sections, > street alignments, and a good surface/contour program since we are very > disapointed with Field Survey handling of sufaces and contouring. We need > the ability to output simple boundary surveys (lines,lengths,bearings, > offset distsancesto buildings, fences, ect) to full subdivision plats. I > am hoping the hyrdo side of C3d gets around to being completed since that > would be a big plus for us since we do alot of flood plane work So will > the Civil 3D pro with the LD seat cover evertyhing I have stated above > without the survey mod? > Another question, how is autodesk going to cover the upgrade from the > civil 3d w/ LD to the full seperate running Civil 3D when its completed? > Are we going to have to shell out more money to get that? will it be part > of a subscription? > Thanks > chris
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

How do we get the archives to play? Every time I try to play one it wants a login and then says the web cast is expired. "Don Reichle" wrote in message news:42421b93$1_2@newsprd01... > Hey Chris; > > Along with getting the demo from the reseller, I would also encourage you > to peruse the archives of the Civil 3D webcasts found here... > http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=3856538 > > You can get an Executive Summary of the ones that you may be more > interested in by checking the Thread entitled "Webcasts" posted 1:52am on > 18MAR2005. > > HTH > > -- > Don Reichle > "King Of Work-Arounds" > LDT3 - SP1/CD3 - SP1 > On WINXP SP2 > Dell 3.0 Ghz P4 Intel > 1.0GB RAM > Radeon X300 128MB PCI > > "CHRISL" wrote in message > news:18690669.1111613939039.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... >> DAVE. >> Thanks for getting back to me >> what we need is the ability to in general, cut profiles, cross sections, >> street alignments, and a good surface/contour program since we are very >> disapointed with Field Survey handling of sufaces and contouring. We need >> the ability to output simple boundary surveys (lines,lengths,bearings, >> offset distsancesto buildings, fences, ect) to full subdivision plats. I >> am hoping the hyrdo side of C3d gets around to being completed since that >> would be a big plus for us since we do alot of flood plane work So will >> the Civil 3D pro with the LD seat cover evertyhing I have stated above >> without the survey mod? >> Another question, how is autodesk going to cover the upgrade from the >> civil 3d w/ LD to the full seperate running Civil 3D when its completed? >> Are we going to have to shell out more money to get that? will it be part >> of a subscription? >> Thanks >> chris > >
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous

Are you going in from the Link I indicated? http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=3856538 [time passes while the link is researched] I just tried last Friday's Archive - it worked. Then I went back to April 9, 2004 - Detailed Alignment Design - it took my connection about a minute to link up, but again it worked. Make sure you are using the blue shaded items in this area... All I needed to do was supply my Name, Company email address, and Company name; and then click on the Microsoft Office Live Meeting Replay icon. HTH -- Don Reichle "King Of Work-Arounds" LDT3 - SP1/CD3 - SP1 On WINXP SP2 Dell 3.0 Ghz P4 Intel 1.0GB RAM Radeon X300 128MB PCI "Neil W" wrote in message news:42422711$1_1@newsprd01... > How do we get the archives to play? Every time I try to play one it wants a > login and then says the web cast is expired. > > "Don Reichle" wrote in message > news:42421b93$1_2@newsprd01... >> Hey Chris; >> >> Along with getting the demo from the reseller, I would also encourage you >> to peruse the archives of the Civil 3D webcasts found here... >> http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=3856538 >> >> You can get an Executive Summary of the ones that you may be more >> interested in by checking the Thread entitled "Webcasts" posted 1:52am on >> 18MAR2005. >> >> HTH >> >> -- >> Don Reichle >> "King Of Work-Arounds" >> LDT3 - SP1/CD3 - SP1 >> On WINXP SP2 >> Dell 3.0 Ghz P4 Intel >> 1.0GB RAM >> Radeon X300 128MB PCI >> >> "CHRISL" wrote in message >> news:18690669.1111613939039.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... >>> DAVE. >>> Thanks for getting back to me >>> what we need is the ability to in general, cut profiles, cross sections, >>> street alignments, and a good surface/contour program since we are very >>> disapointed with Field Survey handling of sufaces and contouring. We need >>> the ability to output simple boundary surveys (lines,lengths,bearings, >>> offset distsancesto buildings, fences, ect) to full subdivision plats. I >>> am hoping the hyrdo side of C3d gets around to being completed since that >>> would be a big plus for us since we do alot of flood plane work So will >>> the Civil 3D pro with the LD seat cover evertyhing I have stated above >>> without the survey mod? >>> Another question, how is autodesk going to cover the upgrade from the >>> civil 3d w/ LD to the full seperate running Civil 3D when its completed? >>> Are we going to have to shell out more money to get that? will it be part >>> of a subscription? >>> Thanks >>> chris >> >> > >
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

The link was the key. I am in now. Thank you! "Don Reichle" wrote in message news:42422b9f_1@newsprd01... Are you going in from the Link I indicated? http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=3856538 [time passes while the link is researched] I just tried last Friday's Archive - it worked. Then I went back to April 9, 2004 - Detailed Alignment Design - it took my connection about a minute to link up, but again it worked. Make sure you are using the blue shaded items in this area... All I needed to do was supply my Name, Company email address, and Company name; and then click on the Microsoft Office Live Meeting Replay icon. HTH -- Don Reichle "King Of Work-Arounds" LDT3 - SP1/CD3 - SP1 On WINXP SP2 Dell 3.0 Ghz P4 Intel 1.0GB RAM Radeon X300 128MB PCI "Neil W" wrote in message news:42422711$1_1@newsprd01... > How do we get the archives to play? Every time I try to play one it wants a > login and then says the web cast is expired. > > "Don Reichle" wrote in message > news:42421b93$1_2@newsprd01... >> Hey Chris; >> >> Along with getting the demo from the reseller, I would also encourage you >> to peruse the archives of the Civil 3D webcasts found here... >> http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=3856538 >> >> You can get an Executive Summary of the ones that you may be more >> interested in by checking the Thread entitled "Webcasts" posted 1:52am on >> 18MAR2005. >> >> HTH >> >> -- >> Don Reichle >> "King Of Work-Arounds" >> LDT3 - SP1/CD3 - SP1 >> On WINXP SP2 >> Dell 3.0 Ghz P4 Intel >> 1.0GB RAM >> Radeon X300 128MB PCI >> >> "CHRISL" wrote in message >> news:18690669.1111613939039.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... >>> DAVE. >>> Thanks for getting back to me >>> what we need is the ability to in general, cut profiles, cross sections, >>> street alignments, and a good surface/contour program since we are very >>> disapointed with Field Survey handling of sufaces and contouring. We need >>> the ability to output simple boundary surveys (lines,lengths,bearings, >>> offset distsancesto buildings, fences, ect) to full subdivision plats. I >>> am hoping the hyrdo side of C3d gets around to being completed since that >>> would be a big plus for us since we do alot of flood plane work So will >>> the Civil 3D pro with the LD seat cover evertyhing I have stated above >>> without the survey mod? >>> Another question, how is autodesk going to cover the upgrade from the >>> civil 3d w/ LD to the full seperate running Civil 3D when its completed? >>> Are we going to have to shell out more money to get that? will it be part >>> of a subscription? >>> Thanks >>> chris >> >> > >
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

Hi Chris - Civil 3D (not Pro) includes a Companion installation of LDT in the box. In this option, you'd buy C3D. Basically you can install either or both of the components. In this scenario, you would own Civil 3D going forward (ie, no need to shell out extra $$ to get a "full" version; you already have the full product) Civil 3D Pro includes the Civil 3D box (which includes the LDT Companion) AND a Civil Design Companion license. Based on what you need, you may or may not need the Civil Design Companion piece. Gotta go. Hope this helps Dave S "CHRISL" wrote in message news:18690669.1111613939039.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > DAVE. > Thanks for getting back to me > what we need is the ability to in general, cut profiles, cross sections, > street alignments, and a good surface/contour program since we are very > disapointed with Field Survey handling of sufaces and contouring. We need > the ability to output simple boundary surveys (lines,lengths,bearings, > offset distsancesto buildings, fences, ect) to full subdivision plats. I > am hoping the hyrdo side of C3d gets around to being completed since that > would be a big plus for us since we do alot of flood plane work So will > the Civil 3D pro with the LD seat cover evertyhing I have stated above > without the survey mod? > Another question, how is autodesk going to cover the upgrade from the > civil 3d w/ LD to the full seperate running Civil 3D when its completed? > Are we going to have to shell out more money to get that? will it be part > of a subscription? > Thanks > chris
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous

Hi Chris. It sounds like you operate in a similar type of survey company as I do. I would recommend the C3D Regular with LDT Companion and Survey add on. That should cover all your bases unless you need hydrology or more Civil functions. If your survey data is always ASCII data or you process survey data in another package, then you may not need or want the Survey Add on, i.e. if you plan to import ASCII data all the time, then you rpobably won't need it. However, if you want to take advantage of Auto-linework, and have the ability to correct Field data within Autocad, then you will want it. "Dave Simeone" wrote in message news:4242c387_2@newsprd01... > Hi Chris - > > Civil 3D (not Pro) includes a Companion installation of LDT in the box. In > this option, you'd buy C3D. Basically you can install either or both of > the components. In this scenario, you would own Civil 3D going forward > (ie, no need to shell out extra $$ to get a "full" version; you already > have the full product) > > Civil 3D Pro includes the Civil 3D box (which includes the LDT Companion) > AND a Civil Design Companion license. Based on what you need, you may or > may not need the Civil Design Companion piece. > > Gotta go. Hope this helps > Dave S > > "CHRISL" wrote in message > news:18690669.1111613939039.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... >> DAVE. >> Thanks for getting back to me >> what we need is the ability to in general, cut profiles, cross sections, >> street alignments, and a good surface/contour program since we are very >> disapointed with Field Survey handling of sufaces and contouring. We need >> the ability to output simple boundary surveys (lines,lengths,bearings, >> offset distsancesto buildings, fences, ect) to full subdivision plats. I >> am hoping the hyrdo side of C3d gets around to being completed since that >> would be a big plus for us since we do alot of flood plane work So will >> the Civil 3D pro with the LD seat cover evertyhing I have stated above >> without the survey mod? >> Another question, how is autodesk going to cover the upgrade from the >> civil 3d w/ LD to the full seperate running Civil 3D when its completed? >> Are we going to have to shell out more money to get that? will it be part >> of a subscription? >> Thanks >> chris > >
Message 10 of 10
Anonymous

Dave
thanks for the answer on the survey mod....Our dealer told us the same thing yesturday about the fact the if you want to do autoline work....you have to have that...so looks like we're going that direction.
thanks all

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report