Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Arc View format do I need?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
elaine3051
327 Views, 4 Replies

What Arc View format do I need?

We have someone sending us a drawing from ArcView. Me have Civil3D Map and Civil35 2011. What file format should we ask for? We also have Geomedia. I don't know diddly about Arc View. I am assuming this will be a shape file. Need file exstention ASAP if anyone can help. Then I will try to figure out what to do with it.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Hi,

a generic data-exchange format for GIS is the SHP-format it can be created easily with ArcView, with ArcGIS, with Geomedia and so also with Map3D (built in in Civil3D).

And just to make sure as you wrote about "a drawing from ArcView" ==> in GIS you just exchange data, not how it is displayed. So you get points, lines and polygons, but not the info how it's filled, what linetype they used, ... That you have to do with FDO-styles by yourself.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 5
shunter62
in reply to: elaine3051

Hi,

It really probably does not matter which version of ArcView your client is using as long as it is in the 9.X or 10.X format. As far as importing data from either into C3D, it does not seem to make a lot of difference. You  will need the complete shapefile (not just .shp), including any .prj files theat were used (map coordinate type).

Please request as much of the geodata as possible; they can be sorted at your end  using the data tables and Excel. Rather too much than too little, right? ("No, no, I also needed pipe diameters and the years the tanks were built"!)

Please let me know if you need help understanding what is sent or how you would like to manipulate these data.

Hope this helps,

Susan H

Message 4 of 5
antoniovinci
in reply to: shunter62

shunter62 wrote:

You will need the complete shapefile (not just .shp)

That's true, but only if you need Gis attributes (i.e. Object Data).

If you instead wanna only convert geometry, SHP/PRJ are sufficient, without DBF/SHX.

Message 5 of 5
elaine3051
in reply to: elaine3051

Thanks everyone for your replies. It will be after the hoildays before I deal with this. Everyone have a wonderful Xmas!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report