Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We must be in shock, after today's Webcast

21 REPLIES 21
Message 1 of 22
Anonymous
259 Views, 21 Replies

We must be in shock, after today's Webcast

I really would have expected to see more posts, after the end of the show. I know I can't wait for the middle of April to arrive. Well done, folks. For the next webcast, would it be possible to have the data reside on a network, as is the case in most of our shops, for ease of Data Backup purposes. That way we could get a RealWorld example to use in comparing Granny Smiths with Fujis, instead of Navels. TIA -- Don Reichle "King Of Work-Arounds" LDT3 - SP1/CD3 - SP1 On WINXP SP2 Dell 3.0 Ghz P4 Intel 1.0GB RAM Radeon X300 128MB PCI
21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
rwhitlock
in reply to: Anonymous

I was very impressed with what the Adesk folks have accomplished. Congratulations to the programmers, Dave S, Dan P., and the collection of toilers who have put together (finally) a true design package. I would be anxious to see additional webcasts which deal with more "in-depth" use of the new modelling features. There's a lot of new menu items to work through - a long learning curve ahead.

WINXP SP2
Dell 2.0 Ghz P4 Intel
1.0GB RAM
Radeon 64 MB PCI
LDD 2005 / Civil 3D 2005
Message 3 of 22
Anonymous

I was in a meeting and missed it.

What were the highlights? What impressed you?
Message 4 of 22
Anonymous

Very impressive. The Pipeworks feature is just phenomenal. I think what they have created in terms of pipe layout and drafting (both plan and profile) and having true 3D capability in order to find conflicts has finally come to fruition. Based on what I have seen and my imagination on what I can do with those tools, I would guess that feature alone will reduce my time by AT LEAST half when it comes to sanitary sewer designs. Once you get your styles set the way you want them to be displayed, it's really just a matter of getting your layout done and tweaking your vertical design. Also, the ability to reference design items such as alignments, profiles, surfaces, etc. into a drawing for display purposes but not editable is another great feature. Basically brings everything in like an XREF. Again, very, very impressive stuff. "Nick_Merchant" wrote in message news:7866509.1111178410610.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... >I was in a meeting and missed it. > > What were the highlights? What impressed you?
Message 5 of 22
Anonymous

What impressed me (how long ya got?)... 1.. Reference Sharing while retaining Dynamic features 2.. Ability to have more than one operator producing production drawings from design 3.. Dynamic Superelevation Diagrams as part of Profile View 4.. Dynamic Pipe Networks 5.. Curvilinear Pipe Runs 6.. 3D Pipe Networks with Rendering capability for all parts of the Network - implied visual checking for "Banging" pipes 7.. Ability to specify Assembly pieces by stationing range - example of a section of AC Berm in the midst of otherwise continuous curb and gutter for knockout as needed when future phase of development occurs 8.. Dynamic Ability of Rims/Grates to reset themselves when told to do so (for now) as the Finish Grade is revised (Aw c'mon, that never happens!) 9.. The audience attendance count reaching a total of 203! It seems there's some interest out there in what is happening here. -- Don Reichle "King Of Work-Arounds" LDT3 - SP1/CD3 - SP1 On WINXP SP2 Dell 3.0 Ghz P4 Intel 1.0GB RAM Radeon X300 128MB PCI "Chris Alley" wrote in message news:423b3ef5$1_2@newsprd01... > Very impressive. The Pipeworks feature is just phenomenal. I think what > they have created in terms of pipe layout and drafting (both plan and > profile) and having true 3D capability in order to find conflicts has > finally come to fruition. Based on what I have seen and my imagination on > what I can do with those tools, I would guess that feature alone will reduce > my time by AT LEAST half when it comes to sanitary sewer designs. Once you > get your styles set the way you want them to be displayed, it's really just > a matter of getting your layout done and tweaking your vertical design. > Also, the ability to reference design items such as alignments, profiles, > surfaces, etc. into a drawing for display purposes but not editable is > another great feature. Basically brings everything in like an XREF. Again, > very, very impressive stuff. > > "Nick_Merchant" wrote in message > news:7866509.1111178410610.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... >>I was in a meeting and missed it. >> >> What were the highlights? What impressed you? > >
Message 6 of 22
Anonymous

Civil 3D 2006 seems like an improvement over 2005, but it still seems like a work in progress. Much better than LDD for civil design work IMO. Pipeworks is a definite plus. As is the improved multi user environment. "Nick_Merchant" wrote in message news:7866509.1111178410610.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > I was in a meeting and missed it. > > What were the highlights? What impressed you?
Message 7 of 22
Anonymous

My supervisor asked if the new C3D has hydrology and pipe network modeling. "Don Reichle" wrote in message news:423b2172_3@newsprd01... I really would have expected to see more posts, after the end of the show. I know I can't wait for the middle of April to arrive. Well done, folks. For the next webcast, would it be possible to have the data reside on a network, as is the case in most of our shops, for ease of Data Backup purposes. That way we could get a RealWorld example to use in comparing Granny Smiths with Fujis, instead of Navels. TIA -- Don Reichle "King Of Work-Arounds" LDT3 - SP1/CD3 - SP1 On WINXP SP2 Dell 3.0 Ghz P4 Intel 1.0GB RAM Radeon X300 128MB PCI
Message 8 of 22
mscacco

No hydrologic or hydraulic calculation features in this one. However, LandXML files can be imported from third-party apps.

Mark Scacco
Civil 3D Tech Tour coming soon to a venue near you.
Message 9 of 22
Anonymous

Don Reichle wrote: > I know I can't wait for the middle of April to arrive. So with all this positive momentum, can we expect an equally impressive Survey module for C3D 2006? > ... comparing Granny Smiths with Fujis, instead of Navels. I prefer Fujis. Terry
Message 10 of 22
Anonymous

Hey Terry; Granny Smiths rule! And where do you think all the Subscription resources have been going for the past five years? Certainly not into LDT - just count all the improvements made to the old dinosaur during that time. Don Reichle "KOWA" "Terry W. Dotson" wrote in message news:423c4784$1_3@newsprd01... > Don Reichle wrote: > >> I know I can't wait for the middle of April to arrive. > > So with all this positive momentum, can we expect an equally impressive > Survey module for C3D 2006? > > > ... comparing Granny Smiths with Fujis, instead of Navels. > > I prefer Fujis. > > Terry
Message 11 of 22
Anonymous

Hey Mark; You mean no hydraulic calculations except as a part of the Pipe network? Don Reichle "KOWA" "mscacco" wrote in message news:18329392.1111210284758.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > No hydrologic or hydraulic calculation features in this one. However, > LandXML files can be imported from third-party apps. > > Mark Scacco > Civil 3D Tech Tour coming soon to a venue near you.
Message 12 of 22
Anonymous

I use the Land Desktop Ver 2 manual to study Land Desktop, since it is far more comprehensive than the manuals that ship with later versions. Needless to say, perhaps 90% of the documentation still applies. "Don Reichle" wrote in message news:423eeef7$1_2@newsprd01... > Hey Terry; > > Granny Smiths rule! > > And where do you think all the Subscription resources have been going for > the past five years? Certainly not into LDT - just count all the > improvements made to the old dinosaur during that time. > > Don Reichle > "KOWA" > > "Terry W. Dotson" wrote in message > news:423c4784$1_3@newsprd01... >> Don Reichle wrote: >> >>> I know I can't wait for the middle of April to arrive. >> >> So with all this positive momentum, can we expect an equally impressive >> Survey module for C3D 2006? >> >> > ... comparing Granny Smiths with Fujis, instead of Navels. >> >> I prefer Fujis. >> >> Terry > >
Message 13 of 22
Anonymous

No, he means no hydraulic calcs at all. There are no values for flow, roughness, etc. -- James Wedding, P.E. Technology Manager & Associate Jones & Boyd, Inc. Dallas, TX XP/2 on P4-3.4/1G LDT2005SP1 & C3D2005SP1
Message 14 of 22
Anonymous

Hey James; In the 2006 version? So it's just a pretty picture editor? Don Reichle "KOWA" "James Wedding" wrote in message news:423ef27f$1_2@newsprd01... > No, he means no hydraulic calcs at all. There are no values for flow, > roughness, etc. > > -- > James Wedding, P.E. > Technology Manager & > Associate > Jones & Boyd, Inc. > Dallas, TX > XP/2 on P4-3.4/1G > LDT2005SP1 & C3D2005SP1 >
Message 15 of 22
Anonymous

And I should have added - "...for the moment." Don Reichle "KOWA" "Don Reichle" wrote in message news:423f0411$1_1@newsprd01... > Hey James; > > In the 2006 version? So it's just a pretty picture editor? > > Don Reichle > "KOWA" > > "James Wedding" wrote in message > news:423ef27f$1_2@newsprd01... >> No, he means no hydraulic calcs at all. There are no values for flow, >> roughness, etc. >> >> -- >> James Wedding, P.E. >> Technology Manager & >> Associate >> Jones & Boyd, Inc. >> Dallas, TX >> XP/2 on P4-3.4/1G >> LDT2005SP1 & C3D2005SP1 >> > >
Message 16 of 22
Anonymous

Yes, but there is an exposed API. Roll your own solution. -- James Wedding, P.E. Technology Manager & Associate Jones & Boyd, Inc. Dallas, TX XP/2 on P4-3.4/1G LDT2005SP1 & C3D2005SP1
Message 17 of 22
Anonymous

Hey Doctor; That implies I set myself to learn how to keep the paper looking like a cylinder. :-) What would you recommend as a first step on this learning path? Don Reichle "KOWA" "James Wedding" wrote in message news:423f3414$3_3@newsprd01... > Yes, but there is an exposed API. Roll your own solution. > > -- > James Wedding, P.E. > Technology Manager & > Associate > Jones & Boyd, Inc. > Dallas, TX > XP/2 on P4-3.4/1G > LDT2005SP1 & C3D2005SP1 >
Message 18 of 22
Anonymous

Figure out how you calc H&H now. Then write it up as design requirements for a custom program. We're approaching it with the intention of working with our existing Excel docs to fill in the blanks and create spreadsheets that can then be brought back in. I believe that you can cut & paste directly from Panorama, but I haven't checked today. -- James Wedding, P.E. Technology Manager & Associate Jones & Boyd, Inc. Dallas, TX XP/2 on P4-3.4/1G LDT2005SP1 & C3D2005SP1
Message 19 of 22
Anonymous

James Wedding wrote: > Figure out how you calc H&H now. Then write it up as design requirements for > a custom program. We're approaching it with the intention of working with > our existing Excel docs to fill in the blanks and create spreadsheets that > can then be brought back in. > > I believe that you can cut & paste directly from Panorama, but I haven't > checked today. > We just switched to using Intellisolve Storm sewers for calcing hydro stuff from an ancient dos program (yick). Works fine, and perhaps the landxml it spits out will go right into c3d-pipeworks.
Message 20 of 22
Anonymous

Hi all - There are a few ways that you can go... 1. Cut/Paste from Panorama (this works) into a spreadsheet 2. Create a report as CSV - this give you pipes and structures 3. Export LandXML (assuming the analysis app can read LandXML) As James notes - there will also be enough API exposure to make a more seamless path. We want to be very clear that the scope of this release is Layout and Drafting. It's not an analysis package. However, we've put support in place so that you can "easily" move the network from Civil 3D back into the analysis app that you are currently using. Thanks Dave S "James Wedding" wrote in message news:4240294a_2@newsprd01... > Figure out how you calc H&H now. Then write it up as design requirements > for a custom program. We're approaching it with the intention of working > with our existing Excel docs to fill in the blanks and create spreadsheets > that can then be brought back in. > > I believe that you can cut & paste directly from Panorama, but I haven't > checked today. > > -- > James Wedding, P.E. > Technology Manager & > Associate > Jones & Boyd, Inc. > Dallas, TX > XP/2 on P4-3.4/1G > LDT2005SP1 & C3D2005SP1 >

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report