Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water volume

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
ed
Contributor
3083 Views, 4 Replies

Water volume

I have a site, on which I've created both a berm and a retention pond to contain runoff.  I now need to see if this is retaing enough water at a certain surface elevation.

The existing site is one surface and the berm/pond are another surface.

Is there a way to do this?

(The attached file is an older version - I've since repaired the corners of the berm)

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
jmayo-EE
in reply to: ed

The STAGESTORAGE command will make a nice volume table you can save to file or place in the dwg. This can work with a surface or with contours and a specific contour interval of you choice.

You can draw a feature line larger than the basin placed at the high water elvation and create a volume analysis (Analyze Ribbon tab) or TIN volume surface. The analysis wil compare the water surface to the FG.

If your using 2013 there is a new volume dashboard. As above this will also require 2 surfaces.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
ed
Contributor
in reply to: jmayo-EE

You know, I tried the Stagestorage, and the feature line options sounds reasonable as well, but I have a problem with both of those.

My existing grade and the pond/berm are two different surfaces.  If I add another feature line from which to generate a volume, I will be queried for only two surfaces total to measure between.  But I will need to measure the volume between the water surface and the combination of the two other surfaces - that's 3 different surface objects.

Likewise, the Stagestorage only allows one surface to be selected.

Message 4 of 5
wfberry
in reply to: ed

1.  Copy your existing surface and rename it something like Final

2.  Paste the Berm surface into the above.

3.  Next, paste the Pond surface into the above.

Now you have two surfaces.

Bill

Message 5 of 5
jmayo-EE
in reply to: wfberry

Thanks Bill! This one slipped through the cracks. 🙂

John Mayo

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report