Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water culvert crossing under corridor

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
wilsonm2000
7817 Views, 8 Replies

Water culvert crossing under corridor

Hi

We are starting a new job, and looking how to setup our drawings.  We have a long corridor that we are upgrading, and along this corridor, we have various water course passing through.  We are replacing the existing culverts.  They are large circular culverts.  How do we show the culverts on our model?  Do I create a short pipe network for each culvert crossing?  And also, how do I daylight to the outside of the culvert as the corridor crosses over it?  Hope this makes sense 🙂

Thanks in advance

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Cadguru42
in reply to: wilsonm2000

I'm assuming by water course you mean storm pipe?  If so, you can make those into pipe networks and they should show up in the sections.  However, I do not know of a way to get the grading to work around the headwalls/endwalls from a cross section.  On projects where we have this happen, we just draw the slope lines manually.  We don't see a reason to try and use grading objects to get the slopes around it as it would be very time consuming to get something that can be manually drawn in in a fraction of the time.

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 3 of 9
emelendez

well there are several ways to do this. I recently had a project that had a small segment similar to what you are describing.

Issue #1 (pipe network): you do not need seperate networks for each pipe. you can have several "disconnected" pipes and structures in the same network. If you want to have seperate networks per crossing you can but its a matter of preference.

Issue #2 (daylighting to culvert): What kind of end treatment is on the culverts? are they open ended? I believe you can have the daylighting target a structure of feature line that you create but you would need seperate regions for each culvert. I am not as experienced with this. My workaround for this was as follows:

1. create corridor and corridor surface (CORR-SURF)

2. create a proposed fg surf (FG SURF)

3. paste CORR-SURF into FG SURF

4. create feature lines to represent the culvert end treatments

5. add said feature lines to FG SURF as breaklines.

Sometimes you need to break apart your surfaces into pieces for easier management. Snapshot attached is an example of what my site looked like after I went through the steps I outlined.

Edwin Melendez
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013 Certified Professional
Certification No. 00319327
Message 4 of 9

Using methods similar to those already posted you can model all sorts of "water crossings", see attached. For parts that are complex I also find it best to model manually with your own feature lines rather than have AutoCAD try to create it automatically with a corridor or pipe network.

Message 5 of 9
sboon
in reply to: emelendez

I'm currently working on a similar project - dozens of culvert crossings where existing creeks cross under the proposed road.  All of my culverts are simple round pipes, no walls or end treatments so I don't need to worry about anything except making sure that the pipe alignment and grade matches the existing channel at the fill toes.

Like others have I created a single pipe network and added the culverts using the pipes only option.  I didn't have a corridor surface but I did make sure that I cut extra corridor sections at the channels so that I could snap the pipe ends to the daylight feature lines.

The problem with doing cross culverts is that you cannot see them very well on the road profile so it's hard to edit the elevations.  What I did was to create a sample line group and add sections at each pipe.  This gives me a way to view the pipe profile although you cannot edit elevations on a section view the way that you can on a profile view.  I usually split the screen into two viewports so that I can use the plan view grips and edit elevations using the Properties dialog while viewing the results on the section view.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 6 of 9
prabhkaur1987
in reply to: emelendez

i am fairy new to civil3d. i want to have culvert underneath the corridor, how do i do that please explain a bot elaborative if you can. i have watched a video for that but couldnot get any much knowledge so rejected it. 

Message 7 of 9
omatdavid

Please I would like to how to go about this as well,please can some give me in detail or where I can get a tutorial on it either in PDF or videos.thanks
Message 8 of 9
j_schroeder1

I'm no expert on this, and actually just did this for the first time recently. But I had to create seperate corridors for the pipes that simulated the trenching. Then my roadway corridor (actually multi-use trail) had to target the surfaces created by the pipe crossing corridor, which included a top (backfill) and datum. Then I created a blank surface and defined it by pasting "pipe top surface" then "road top surface". The datum surface pasting order was opposite since the "pipe datum surface" was lower than the "pipe top surface". There's probably some refinement that needs to happen on this method, but due to time constraints it was the best I could manage. 

Message 9 of 9
MMcCall402

I would take a sequential approach.  First I would run a corridor as if the culverts were not there and create a surface in the process.  Then I would paste that surface into a new surface. For the ends of culverts I would probably use some feature lines draped on the corridor's surface for the top edge and on the original ground surface for the bottom edge.  I would then add those feature lines to the surface that has the pasted in corridor.  This should create a sequential chain of dynamic objects to arrive at the final graded surface.  The original ground surface and final graded surfaces would be the only surfaces with a surface style that displayed any information.

The 'circular' culverts, are you saying they're a large diameter pipe or a large arch over the water?

Mark Mccall 
CAD Mangler

Hammer Land Engineering

Linkedin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report