Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water Main Network will not work

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
black95gt
470 Views, 10 Replies

Water Main Network will not work

There is something wrong with my water main pipe network. I cant swap out parts, i cant add new pipe, and really cant do anything with it. My sanitary and storm networks are working just fine. It seems as if the water network is locked or something. This is happening in all my drawings and not just one particular drawing. Does anybody know what is happening? Im getting frustrated here. Thanks Andy
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
black95gt
in reply to: black95gt

when i open the Water Main tree and click on Pipes. There is a box at the bottom of my Prospector toolspace that says Status. There is a checkmark with a red circle with a slash through it and a number next to it. when i hold the mouse over it a message pops up and says the maximum cover is violated. So i changed my rules for a minimum cover of 1 foot and a max of 500'. It is only 6' deep and still comes up with the message. I noticed my sanitary and storm do not have this.
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous

Is the violation referring to the pipe or the "structure"? Are you using "null structures"?

Though some use Pipes for water plans, this is not the actual intention of the product. I find that
the old method of using an offset, splined polyline is more effective for waterlines. You'll
realize why when you have to deal with a "crossing" at storm or sanitary pipes... water pipes in the
field are pretty flexible and cover and clearance are controls, not inverts to maintain flow. By
using Pipes for waterlines your adding drawing overhead, complexity and problems.

Happy Modeling,

JD
Message 4 of 11
black95gt

I am using null structures for my bends, valves, hydrants ect. I realize that the water main doesnt work very well with profiles but has always worked good for my plan views as it is very nice when i need to swap parts out. This has worked very well for me in the past. I dont know what is wrong with it now, but its very frustrating
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous

Yes, it is often painful. Some of these users are using Pipes for water, so hang in there.
Hopefully they'll be along shortly to offer some assistance!

Good Luck,

JD
Message 6 of 11
black95gt

Here is an error message that i get when i first open Civil3d and try to edit my pipe network.

Unable to access Pipe or Structure Catalog
[] l '[]
Please verify configuration
Run 'set network Catalog Path' to reset.

Anybody know what this means or how act upon it?
Message 7 of 11
kcobabe

Make sure those parts used are in your library. If they are not you will have to ask the previous person who worked on the job for their parts library.

R10 - 2020 ACAD
2008 - 2020 Civil 3D
2014 - 2020 Plant 3D
2014 - 2020 Revit
V8i - V8i SS4 Microstation
Infraworks
2018-2020 Inventor
2020 Navisworks
Message 8 of 11
black95gt

Where do i find the Library at? I am the only one in our office that uses Civil3d. This error message comes up when i open a New blank drawing as well and still have the same issues as with a previous drawing. I wonder if i need to uninstall and then reinstall Civil3d 2008 again?
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous

Try opening Pipes<<< choose "Structure" catalog, select the top Folder in your
structure and click the folder icon at the bottom for "Catalog Regen". Choose Pipe catalog at the
top and repeat. I've seen another suggestion to go into Options<< Files and replace a missing path
there, though I don't know which one points to the Parts Catalog...

Happy Modeling,

JD
Message 10 of 11
Anonymous

Oh, I guess it's the top one, Support Files Search Path...
Message 11 of 11
nmalozo

This happened to me when I tried to edit a pipe network. I was able to reset the pipe network catalog settings through the pipes menu and clear the error (temporarily) but when I tried to add a pipe to a network it wouldn't let me place it. I could place the beginning point but not the end.

There was a bad parts list. Since it is happening on open it is probably listed as the default parts list in the Pipe Networks Settings.

Go to Toolspace > Settings Tab > Pipe Network > Parts List
Open each one of your parts lists and try to Add a New Part Family. If you get a list of part families then that list is ok and try the next one. If one is bad, it will open the part family window but be completely blank.

I wasn't able to repair mine, I created a new list, went into each pipe network using that Part List and changed the part list, Then I changed the default part list in the Pipe Network Settings and deleted the bad parts list. In toolspace go to the Settings Tab > Pipe Networks > Edit feature settings. Check the default styles > Default Parts List. Also the Command Settings for CreateNetwork.

Hope this helps someone else.
-Neil M

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report