Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Volume of Surface at 1m intervals

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
stephanie_leelive_co_za
1611 Views, 11 Replies

Volume of Surface at 1m intervals

Good day,

I need to generate stage storage volumes at one metre intervals.

Is there a way to automate this?

Sometimes all it takes is a tiny shift of perspective to see something familiar in a total new light
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

There is a stage storage command in Civil 3D. You can extract 1m contours from your surface and use them with that command.

Regards,

Mike

Mike Caruso
Autodesk Certified Instructor 2014
AutoCAD/Civil 3D Autodesk Certified Professional 2014, 2015, 2018
www.whitemountaincad.com
Message 3 of 12

Just to add, the stage-storage tool is located on the ribbon under 'Analyze' and click the 'Design' bar with the down-carat. To use the stage-storage tool, set your contour intervals to 1m. The tool will read the closed contours and tabulate the enclosed area and build the incremental and cumulative volumes.

Windows 7 64-bit
Dell Precision T5610, Dual-Xeon 2.6Ghz, 16 Gig RAM
Civil 3D 2013
Message 4 of 12

Thanks for the feedback,

We design a lot of Waste storage facilities, mainly above ground level.

Using the stage storage tool works well for basins, but I cannot get it to work when the waste starts breaking ground (in fill).

Is there another way to get the Volume and Area for every one meter as the facility "grow" than to use the Volume Dashboard and doing it manually?

Thank you in advance

Sometimes all it takes is a tiny shift of perspective to see something familiar in a total new light
Message 5 of 12

Have a look at surface analysis, which is part of surfaces themselves.

You can create a surface analysis of elevations where you can set the base elevation and then a range interval (i.e. the height between lifts) using the Create ranges by: Range Interval option or you can use Number of Ranges and then set the Minimum and Maximum Elevations for each range.

You can then add a Surface Legend table to the drawing which shows the elevation ranges and can include the volumes for each elevation range. (you need to have a Surface Elevation Table Style set to show this)

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit
Intel core i7 11800 @ 2.30 GHz with 32GB Ram
Civil 3d 2021
Message 6 of 12

Andrew,

Thank you for the reply.

I have run the Surface Analysis and inserted the Surface Legend table.

The Values of the surface is not what I wanted. (I think because the NGL is at a slope - my dam wall target, the Volumes for that dam surface has triangle issues. So then I created a Volume Surface and Run the Surface Analysis again. The Table data is correct now, but I dont know at what elevations I'm looking at. The range is from -3m to 20m because the Volume Surface is created on Elevation 0.

Maybe I'm missing something?

Message 7 of 12

Sorry.

Yes, thinking about it, a volume table on a surface with an irregular base will not produce the results you want.

I tested by making a surface that was basically a mound with a flat base which would produce results you expect.

Unfortunately I cannot think of a way to make it work in a dynamic fashion for you.

From memory, the last time I did something similar, I created the final surface, extracted the contours and built seperate surfaces for each increment. I then created a new final surface for each increment by pasting together the previous increment finished surface and the design surface. I was then able to get the volumes for each interval by creating volume surfaces between each surface. There were a lot of surfaces, but it did the job in the end.

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit
Intel core i7 11800 @ 2.30 GHz with 32GB Ram
Civil 3d 2021
Message 8 of 12
wfberry
in reply to: andrewpuller3811

Andrew:

If you have contours, you have the area.  Multiply each area x 1 meter = Volume.

OR you could average each area between the 1 meter marks but I would think that it would be close enough in the above.

Bill

Message 9 of 12

I just tried a quick mound and it seemed to work...

Capture.JPG

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 10 of 12

Thank you all for the replies,

Please find attached a typical cross section showing the Designed (Final) profile and the Natural ground profile (Lidar).

I can find the volume and Area for every 1m interval by manually create a new surface for each interval and by using the Volumes dashboard…  But that would take me a few hours.

Is there a way to automate this?

Andrew, looks like I would have to do this manually, as you could see on the .jpeg, because the ground is at a slope and not flat, commands like stage storage would not work and the volumes table too.

Bill, yes to have the contours, you have area and to just multiply them by 1m would give me a Volume that would work well, but I actually need the most accurate Volume quantity.

Fred, as I can see on your snapshot, the stage storage volume table generates the correct volumes for your surface, but will it work for the way I need it to? See attached .jpeg.

Thank you 

Message 11 of 12

Stephanie:

IF your .jpg cross section was somewhat typical all around the pile I would think you could do as Fred showed.

1.  Run two separate Stage Storage curves, one for each (Final & Existing).

2.  What you would want would be the difference of the above at each level.

Bill

Message 12 of 12
O.Maille
in reply to: wfberry

The only way to do this properly is to create additional surfaces at intervals (use points at extremities), then create volumn surfaces, then export.

Do not use the volumes reported in surface tables they are wrong and have been since 2008.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report