Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Volume calculation

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
petelien
1334 Views, 7 Replies

Volume calculation

Hi,

i have the area of the bottom of a stockpile, and i have the area of the top of the stockpile, and i have the elevation at the top and bottom. It is 2d geometry in autocad, how can i make this into a solid so i can find the volume of this stockpile. I also have auto cad Civil 3d, if it would be easier to do it in that. i am new to civil, but have worked with autocad quite a bit.

thanks for the help.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
KirkNoonan
in reply to: petelien

You need to set the lines representing the top and bottom areas of the stockpile at the proper elevations (Z-values). In Vanilla AutoCAD, you can generate a surface between the two polylines. In Civil 3D, it is similar. You create a surface and then add the lines into it as breaklines. Either method will yield a volume. The volume you get using only top and bottom areas and the elevation difference will be the roughly same as doing a quick hand-calculation of the volume using the average end method, which would be much quicker.

Message 3 of 8
petelien

which command would i use? i am sure this is looking me right in the face, sorry. Thanks for the help.

Message 4 of 8
KirkNoonan

Use the properties window to change the elevations of your polylines and the Auotcad 'loft' command to create the surface
Message 5 of 8
petelien

how can i turn that into a solid?

Message 6 of 8
Pointdump

Volume calcs are super-simple on Civil 3d. You just make a base surface and a stockpile surface, then compare them on the Volumes Dashboard. Thusly:

Stockpile.PNG

Eric Colburn has a great video Here.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 7 of 8
KirkNoonan
Message 8 of 8
petelien
in reply to: KirkNoonan

Thanks for the Help!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report