Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Volume analyses using Mass Prop, Mass Element Prop, and Composite Volume

25 REPLIES 25
SOLVED
Message 1 of 26
Anonymous
1640 Views, 25 Replies

Volume analyses using Mass Prop, Mass Element Prop, and Composite Volume

I am operating Civil 3D 2012. When testing the volume of a 3' x 3' x 3' cube, I get an anticipated answer 27 cu. ft. when analyzing the extruded object using mass properties. When converting the extruded cube to a mass element, the volume (with no edits to the object) becomes 46656 cu.ft. When analyzing the composite volume of parallel surfaces, one at the top and one at bottom of the cube, the composite volume returns a fill value of 1728 cu.yd. (46656 cu.ft.). A 3'x 3'x 3' cube has 27 cu.yd. of material. Assistance is needed to determine why these values do remain consistent for mass property, mass element property, and composite volume. Secondly, assistance in needed to determine why the mass element and composite volume analysis are producing erroneous results.

25 REPLIES 25
Message 2 of 26
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: Anonymous

What's all this mass property business? I don't see it in c3d help

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 26
jmayo-EE
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Mass haul diagrams.

I have not used them though.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 4 of 26
Anonymous
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

In order for me to believe the output of the program for composite volume calculation using surfaces, I ran a benchmark against a simple cubic yard of material.  I then checked this information against other known tools in AutoCAD used to query the mass of an object.  As for the help, it is a how to document. Thus many of the underlying functionality of AutoCAD that has be developed over the past 20 years and that is still intergrated in Civil 3D have little or no documentation.  Again, my problem is that the compsite volume analysis of cut and fill material generates information that is off by a factor of 1/400.  Has anyone faced this problem?

Message 5 of 26
Matt.Anderson

TIN Volume surface between two planar 3'x3' surface 3 feet different from each other returns exactly 27.0 cubic feet in C3D.

A Grid volume surface will vary depending on the resolution of the grid. (ie, a 3x3 surface gridded to 0.1ft each way will become a 3' deep, 2.9' x 2.9' surface, or 25.23 cf.

Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 6 of 26

That same 3x3 square used to create the surfaces, when extruded produces a Volume of 27.0

Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 7 of 26
Anonymous
in reply to: Matt.Anderson

Thanks Matthew.  My Tin Volume surfaces with exactly the same dimensions and conditions arereturning differnent value.  Cannot determine why.  Have you ever run into such a problem?

Message 8 of 26
Anonymous

Do you get the same value when you convert the extruded object into a Mass Prop element?

Message 9 of 26
Matt.Anderson

Yes.  AEC_MASS_ELEM, Volume 27.  Width 3, Depth 3, Height 3

Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 10 of 26
Anonymous

Thanks for the input.  At least I know that it should work.  What version of CV 3d are your runnig?

Message 11 of 26
Anonymous

Matt, would it be ok if I attached my file to see if your system would still return the correct value?

Message 12 of 26
Matt.Anderson

The value of 46656 is 36 cubed.  Are you in inches? Civil 3D base units are feet, not inches.

Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 13 of 26
Matt.Anderson

Yes, please attached.

Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 14 of 26
Anonymous

OK.  You are now seeing my problem.  I do realize that it is in feet.  However, is there a user control for changing the base unit?  The object was definitely drawn with the correct dimensions.  Secondly, my block insert is in feet, but this, I do not think, is the same. I will locate and attach shortly.

Message 15 of 26
Anonymous

Matt the file is attached.  I am curious to see what happens.

Message 16 of 26
jmayo-EE

I think you have surface2 defined with one incorrect contour. Surface3 reports 1728 CY.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 17 of 26
Anonymous
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Actually, the model was analyzing 1/2 cubic yard.  Surface 3 is a TIN volume surface analyzing Surface 1 and Surface 2. Even is you use the composite volume for surface 1 and 2, the result are just not beleivable.

Message 18 of 26
jmayo-EE

Yes the dwg has arch units set.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 19 of 26
Anonymous
in reply to: jmayo-EE

John. Are the Architectural unit setting the problem?  I will test in the meantime.

Message 20 of 26
jmayo-EE

Start a dwg using the imperia c3d template nad do not change the units with the units command. Reproduce the experiment.

John Mayo

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report